Forums Latest Members
  1. spleenboy Mar 20, 2015

Took a risk and bought this watch at an auction house for £180
    I can't find any watch online that looks like it. Did Omega ever build this model? The face has a subtle gold glittery effect on a bronze/brown face: very pretty
    There is no second hand, but it's certainly not new.
    Is it obvious that I bought a donut, or could this be genuine?
    [​IMG]

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 20, 2015

3. spleenboy Mar 20, 2015

This just seems to link to a general google search page

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 20, 2015

Only one man can answer that question with absolute authority.

@SpikiSpikester

5. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 20, 2015

Links me directly to the Dynamics

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 20, 2015

I think noelekal is showing you that the dynamic is a real omega, and the link shows a whole slew of the variations..

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 20, 2015

My uncertain view is that it didn't come from Omega with that dial and somebody stole the second hand.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2015

search, vintage omega dynamic

9. 30t2fellow Mar 20, 2015

It is an Omega Dynamic, one of my favorites. The design was supposed to be ergonomic (thus the elongated shape) and look better while on the wrist. When I hit the lotto, will be running the solid gold version down...
    image.jpg

10. ulackfocus Mar 20, 2015

When I hit the lotto, that would be WAAAAAAY down the list. :p

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2015

The dial is legit and not refinished. It's just a bit degraded/faded, but that's not a problem if you like it. The world hasn't decided there's such a thing as a tropical Dynamic dial yet, but you'll have a nice one when it becomes a thing :)

If it started life as a black dial you need an orange second hand with a flat bottom end though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426927517.080088.jpg

Do you have better photos of the case ?

12. spleenboy Mar 21, 2015

Much much appreciated for the input, What photo of the case do you want: the back or side. Also, do you have a close up of the spindle end on your watch (which looks very nice!). Looking through a magnifying glass, mine has a definite horseshoe, but it looks as though there should have been something in the middle of it: just a guess from me. I can also see a very faint horse shoe (I think ) in the centre of the crystal which I read is on all genuine omega crystals? The whole watch seems to have a bit of genuine age to it which is why I initially thought its not a modern fake.
    [​IMG]
    Bigger zoom of the face:
    [​IMG]
    Any idea where I can buy a genuine second hand from, and who would you recommend to do the repair?

13. lillatroll Mar 21, 2015

I just bought one of these and mine has a blue seconds hand on it. Does it depend on the colour of the dial as to which colour hand is on it?

Edited Mar 21, 2015
  14. spleenboy Mar 21, 2015

Sorry: final question, the whole movement seems to move slightly in the case. I've seen this question on a lot of threads about these watches, but I can't find an reason for it from anyone.

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2015

I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule. The black dials tend to have orange seconds hands and the dark blue dials tend to have light blue seconds seconds hands. The blue dials are very dark though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426943494.998334.jpg

If you need servicing, usually @stefan does mine. Shoot him a PM and see if he can help.

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2015

Not had that happen on mine - a decent service should also take care of it though. Possibly the crown stem isn't properly seated in the movement ?

17. lillatroll Mar 21, 2015

Mine is a dark blue dial. I am going to send stefan a seamaster chronostop watch for a service. He has a lot of recommendations on here.

18. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 21, 2015

I don't think it is anything wrong with the movement . I think its the strap that doesn't sit right . If you look att number three on the dial it is exactly where the crown is . Line up the strap and it will look good . As for the second hand it should be orange . And the movement is probably a cal .601. Nice watch :)

Edited Mar 21, 2015
  19. lillatroll Mar 21, 2015

The dynamic was serviced in 2012 so I think it will be ok for a year or two.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 21, 2015

Not typically the split stem, and most certainly not a strap problem if the movement is moving in the case...

There are two possible issues here - one is the crystal is not seated properly, so that could be from improper installation, or being an aftermarket crystal. This is the first thing I would look at.

The second is particular to the Dynamic case design, and the way the movement is rotated to remove it from the case. The case clamps do not really clamp to the case - they just keep the movement from falling out, and they don't hold it firmly in place. There is a cut out in the case that allows the split stem room to swing while you rotate the movement to get the clamps lined up so the movement can drop out - see here at the red arrow:

[​IMG]

You will notice it is not centered around the case tube, because you drop the movement in with the stem rotated maybe 15 degrees or so towards the top of this slot, then rotate CW to retain the movement in the case. This will keep it from falling out, but it will still turn in the case. To prevent the movement from turning too far, which can disengage the 2 parts of the split stem when winding/setting, there is a small plastic part that fills this small void. Here is one still on a dynamic as I was taking it apart - it is white and has black goop from the crown seal on it:

[​IMG]

These are often missing on these watches, so I keep them in stock - they can also be blue in colour and those are more commonly seen than the white version. Part is officially called a wedge, and part number is 0920001BL.

Cheers, Al