Forums Latest Members

Did Gemini IV, Ed White, and Jim McDivitt get forgotten at Basel this year??

1. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2015

I'm not well versed on how new models are released at Basel, but is it safe to assume that a Speedmaster limited edition commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first American EVA on Gemini 4 is not coming?

Omega has such a strong history of commemorating significant space exploration events so how could one of the most seminal moments is space history where the image of Ed White put the Speedmaster on the world stage be overlooked?

I like the recognition of Apollo 13 again but I would have liked to see a Gemini 4 limited edition based on the new FOIS case.

I may be out there on my own but I think this was an opportunity missed.

Edited Mar 24, 2015
    g-boac, Emeister, lwong and 2 others like this.
  2. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 24, 2015

Agreed. Omega must not be paying attention to the very robust 105.003 Ed White market. I would think there would be more than a few buyers for a commemorative edition.

g-boac and TLIGuy like this.
  3. Hijak Mar 24, 2015

Its coming it will be called the Blue Side Of The Moon!;)
    Wrist Shot, 3.JPG

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 24, 2015

The sedna gold FOIS doesn't count? True it's not specifically commeroative of the events, but it is a(nother) FOIS tribute.

5. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2015

I did see that and it is a very attractive watch but I was really thinking of a commemorative piece limited to 1965 pieces with "What can you do in 20 minutes?" on the dial with a picture of Ed White in a sub dial with a little text bubble that says "The flight director says Get Back In!"

Edited Mar 24, 2015
    bacaitlin, bvertz, dc_in_sf and 4 others like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 24, 2015

I agree, disappointing, and a tremendous missed opportunity.. they must have something in mind. How could they not?

JohnSteed and TLIGuy like this.
  7. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2015

I think at this point I'm inclined to say not. Quite surprising to me especially after the fantastic collaboration between Omega and the National Air & Space Museum on the Outside the Spacecraft 50th anniversary exhibit. It's not like they were unaware that it was the 50th anniversary of the event that provided the image they use in almost every piece of marketing material to date.

Maybe next year. 51st Anniversary has a nice ring to it.

Edited Mar 24, 2015
  8. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 24, 2015

TLIGuy likes this.
  9. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2015

Love this one as well. The FOIS is a fantastic chassis to build on. It is a direct throwback to the 105.003 that made the Speedmaster what it is today. I'm glad they have continued to use the new case to expand the line. I would love to have seen it used to specifically honor the achievment of the Speedmasters use during the GT-4 EVA.

I'm just rather disappointed that I didn't get what I was thinking really should have been coming down the line with the anniversary of the event upon us.

AAAKK likes this.
  10. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2015

Now that I'm thinking about it. Maybe they could make a watch specifically for me and intergrate some old school Timely calendars into the bracelet.:thumbsup:

Thanks all for allowing me to shed a tear this evening and wallow in my sadness.

oddboy likes this.
  11. repoman Mar 24, 2015

It does seem a bit odd to me that Omega would honor the 45th anniversary Gemini IV mission, but not the 50th. That aside, clearly they had a Snoopy Apollo XIII priority this year, and I totally get that... as NASA/Apollo missions go, the 45th anniversary of Apollo XIII is more significant than the 50th anniversary of Gemini IV. I'm biased because I want to see a new blue dialed Speedy Pro, perhaps with a splash of new tech, but with a classic moonwatch LE vibe to it. Omega definitely keeps us guessing, that's a good thing. When it becomes too predictable, that's when I'll move on to a different hobby.

Edited May 14, 2015
    JohnSteed and TLIGuy like this.
  12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 24, 2015

TLIGuy likes this.
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 24, 2015

Well they waited 40 years for the first Gemini LE so maybe they've got one pencilled in for 2045.

TLIGuy and gemini4 like this.
  14. maxtor71 Mar 25, 2015

We're a complicated lot ;). On one hand I've seen people complaining about Omega 'milking' the space connection, bashing out multiple ceramic Speedies etc. but on the other hand, we also want more limited edition Speedies :).

Max

Superdoc and TLIGuy like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

Makes the Gemini IV blue panda all the more special in my own biased opinion :)

Hijak, repoman, TLIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  16. TLIGuy Mar 25, 2015

Well after a good night crying and waking up this morning and not seeing a thread celebrating the release of a Gemini 4 piece I've got to pull myself together and move on. I've got Ed and Jim covered myself. Coming soon:whistling:

I agree 100%, but Omega's predictabiltiy of releasing LE pieces to celebrate significant space events it exactly why I expected to see something.

I'll take any mission related piece Omega throws at me. Since my focus is so narrowly focused on the NASA era Speedmasters any new release connected to them or the mission they represent is great.

"You eyeballing my watch TLIGuy???...You Keep eyeballing my minty condition 105.003 Speedmaster with an unpolished case, matching lume, and original crown and see what happens...This is a collectors grade piece according to Speedmaster101!!!...You got it!!!...This is the original baby!!!...I don't care how much you post and whine on the Watchuseek NASA and Space topics sub forum hoping no one here will see it!!....Omega isn't releasing a new Gemini 4 limited edition at Basel this year!!!"

888-3.jpg

"I want your DOR TLIGuy...I want you to tell me there is NO GEMINI 4 LE piece coming...And take your little calendars with you too!!!

louis-gossett-officer7.jpg

"That's right TLIGuy....I threw your pretty little JB Champion bracelet with curved end pieces in the mud!!!"

1083_049380-560x375.jpg

"Keep dancing TLIGuy....I know your pretty little 1968 Transitional Speedmaster hasn't been pressure tested!!!"

louis-gossett-officer07.jpg

"I'll take the Gemini IV Blue Panda Dial Sir!!! I've got nowhere else to go!!!"

original.jpg

Edited Mar 25, 2015
    bvertz, DLT222, oddboy and 3 others like this.
  17. JohnSteed Mar 25, 2015

No EW 50 yr anniversary watch seems a missed opportunity. Perhaps something may be released another time outside of Basel?

TLIGuy likes this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 25, 2015

Maybe in the summer?

19. TLIGuy Mar 25, 2015

I'm throwing down the gauntlet now. Omega has until June 3rd at 19:45 GMT to come up with something.

g-boac, AAAKK and oddboy like this.