Forums Latest Members

Did Connery's Bond wear his Sub on a Brown (not Black) strap in Dr. No & From Russia with Love?

1. Mspeedster Jul 10, 2022

Popular belief states that Connery wore his ref. 6538 Submariner on a black alligator or croc strap in his first two movies. But after scrutinizing scenes from Dr. No and From Russia with Love, I'm convinced it's actually a very dark brown strap.

Here are some screen caps. What do others think?

Dr. No
    Dr No 2.jpg
    Dr No 2 crop.jpg
    Dr No.jpg
    Dr No crop.jpg
    Sean-Connery-Rolex.jpg

From Russia with Love
    FromRussiaWithLovecrop.jpg

2. flw history nerd Jul 10, 2022

Based on the screencaps, that's what it looks like. I find it interesting that the crown appears to be pulled out in the bottom picture; I've read elsewhere that directors and prop masters on film sets prefer to use watches that don't actually work, so they can show the same time during repeated takes.

Duracuir1 and Mspeedster like this.
  3. Mspeedster Jul 10, 2022

Yes, that last pic was from the scene where Bond needs his watch to be in sync at 3 o'clock, asking the Russian Consulate guy if their clock is correct. Hence, they likely pulled the crown out purposely to keep the time at 3 pm.

4. Dan S Jul 10, 2022

Not a hacking movement. Roughly 10 years too early IIRC.

Mspeedster and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. flw history nerd Jul 10, 2022

I learn something new every time I'm on here. Good excuse to watch the movie again and see if the second hand is moving in that scene.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  6. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jul 10, 2022

looks like a brown cow leather band. bezel gives parameter of the black color in the image, and band does look brown. how cool is to see such watch in mint condition close to its production date.

Mspeedster and Duracuir1 like this.
  7. Mspeedster Jul 10, 2022

Good point! But the crown was still probably pulled out so they could set the time to 3pm easily if they needed to shoot multiple takes.
    In the youtube clip I posted above, at the 29 sec mark, you can see the second hand is moving in that shot. So @Dan S is correct. :thumbsup:

8. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jul 10, 2022

no hash mark bezel and lollipop seconds hand, not white second hand apparently. long minute hand. and lume was already yellow at the time. fascinating as catalogues back then were drawings not pics

Mspeedster likes this.
  9. johnireland Jul 18, 2022

I agree with dark brown croc. Never saw a Rolex yet that doesn't look great on them.

Mspeedster likes this.