Forums Latest Members

Did Bulova Astronaut copy design of Glycine Airman?

1. pdxleaf ... May 2, 2020

The Bulova Astronaut dial and bezel appear similar to the Glycine Airman's features. Since the Airman came out in 1953, it seems reasonable to think that the Bulova designers were familiar with it's design in 1960 when the Bulova Astronaut was released.

The movements are of course completely different. The lack of a crown, much less two is the most obvious visual difference. But strictly looking at design, is there any evidence that Bulova copied the successful design of the Airman? They would not be faulted for doing so. Rather, they would be building off what was already familiar and liked by pilots.

As background, I own a period Astronaut and hope to own a period (65-66) Airman someday. If biased, I have a slight bias towards Bulova since it is on my wrist. However, it sure looks similar to an Airman to my eye.

I did look for evidence before asking. This may prove that I am a poor researcher.

Just curious on a rainy Saturday at home. Looking forward to any feedback.

2. connieseamaster May 2, 2020

I mean...the only similarities I see are a GMT function, black dial, and stainless steel bezel. Black dial and steel bezel makes sense from a visibility stand point and was popular with many tool watches of the time (the 2915 Speedmaster for one).

3. pdxleaf ... May 2, 2020

I was thinking the round silver bezel with black dial dominates both watches at a sweeping glance. Both bezels have notched edges, which makes sense from a form follows function perspective. Both bezels have lines between the numbers on the bezel, with the lines standing in for the odd numbers and only etched even numbers.

Both make use of round plots, although the Bulova had a couple different dials. Both had rectangular plots at 24/12 and opposite at 12/6. The latter Bulova is a bit less busy, which I like.

Both had script midway in the upper half and lower halves of the dial. Bulova had "bulova accutron" on two lines in the upper portion of the dial and Glycine had " glycine airman" in the same location.

Both had a single line of text in the lower half, with one saying ""Astronaut" and the other reading " automatic".

The early Airman did not have the broad arrow hour hand so the hands were similarly shaped.

The bigger difference to me is the hidden lugs of the Bulova, accentuating the roundness in the Bulova more so than the Airman. But there seems to be more than a passing similarity in the design. Certainly seems like the bulova referenced the airman at least.

Maybe I just have too much time on my hands...

4. Tubber May 2, 2020

Might be easier to compare with photos.
    OF6.jpg

OF1.jpg

5. Professor May 2, 2020

Aside from the bezel I see little similarity.

6. ZIELSZIEK May 3, 2020

I honestly think that your observation was based on the similarities of the design language. Both of these watches are a product of their time, therefore they are alike in some regards. The pictures posted by Tubber show that perfectly.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 3, 2020

The Glycine Airman Automatic GMT pilotwatch was loved & treasured by Navy & USAF 'jocks' of the 1950s & 1960s...
    Remember Charles 'Pete' Conrad wore his on both Gemini V and Gemini XI ... it being exposed to outer space during the Gemini XI spacewalk !
    Glycine.jpg

Omegafanman and split-time like this.
  8. Donn Chambers May 3, 2020

While there are some similar design cues (and one can say the same for all dive watches with a rotating bezel), there are enough differences I wouldn’t say the Bulova was a copy. First of all, while the Airman is a GMT of a sort, this is only because it has a 24-hour time function and a 24-hour rotating bezel.

The Bulova on the other hand uses a 12-hour time function with a separate 24-hour hand. It’s as much a copy of the Rolex GMT Master as the Airman.

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 7, 2020

The question could be: Did Glycine copy the use of a lockable bezel from the 1940s Omega CK2129 ?

10. Pvt-Public May 8, 2020

The Airman also has a separate 24 hr. hand. It is just barely visible between the minute and seconds hand. With it being less than half the length of the minute hand. Poor design in my mind but, hey, WTH do I know.

Edited May 8, 2020
  11. Donn Chambers May 8, 2020

The original Airman did not have separate 24 hr. Hand. That hand you see barely visible is an extended tail of the hour hand and moves with it. See this nice history, which has better pictures of the hands so you can see it is not independent:

https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/features/2017/10/18/uqeztr7g87jdmo07cc66aj4gw2bb9g

I know later versions did have the separate hand (after that was introduced by Rolex), but the early versions only had the GMT function through the bezel.

12. Pvt-Public May 8, 2020

I sit corrected. :(