Forums Latest Members
  1. Faz Sep 26, 2016

Hello all,

I was wondering what the proper DIBS etiquette would be with regards to setting a price? Are interested parties asked what they are willing to pay for a watch or are members approached with an asking price first hand?

Thanks in advance

Faz

Jwit and watchdaddy1 like this.
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 26, 2016

If someone claims dibs, you are obligated to sell the piece for 20% less than your cost. Its in the By Laws.

tpatta, Speedmasterfan88 and Faz like this.
  3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 26, 2016

I have been wondering about this. I have placed a couple dibs with my fingers crossed that the stars will align in my bank account when the watch is being sold. ::shy::

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 26, 2016

Price is at the discretion of the seller. Dibser simply gets right of first refusal.

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 27, 2016

This.

I've been on both sides of a DIBS, and can attest that it worked well for me each time.

My only complaint is that some members never sell. :(
    (You know who you are!) :whipped:

MMMD and CajunTiger like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 27, 2016

Dibs is a unwritten rule where some of us will contact the first dibs,er if ever going to sell.

You are right it can be passed if watch fund is low and it would go to the next.

I myself picked a watch up a few weeks ago via a PM on a dibs that I was quite happy to have recieved

Some may not remember all the dibs and there is no harm in that.

You set the price before contact. ( you would simply quote the price you would like for the watch if you were to sell it )

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

You have no obligations, beyond considering them if you do choose to sell it, if you don't want to deal with that person or would rather sell it to a friend or at auction someone posting DIBS on it in a thread doesn't count for much.

It's basically just saying if you ever do sell it please consider offering it to me

Jwit and RawArcher like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

One member used to say dibs on literally every good watch on the forum and then use that right of first refusal to pressure people into selling it to him so he could then flip it to another member who wanted it, its not meant like that, it's just asking an owner to consider you is all.

9. Faz Sep 27, 2016

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheers,

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

Dibs on all you guitars :D

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

wasn't a member for long....

Stgo2019 likes this.
  12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 27, 2016

As much more of a buyer than a seller, I find the non-refundable Dibs Deposit™ approach to be quite helpful. You see, not only does it help to discourage promiscuous dibs!-ing, but it also allows those of us who rarely sell to support our habits, thanks in no small part to the poor saps who believe that we might. :rolleyes:

Euxinus and kov like this.