Forums Latest Members
  1. omegabarmy Aug 11, 2014

I've seen some scary dial jobs and need a good one for my latest :-

[​IMG]

I was going to leave it as is but it would be a shame not to help it to be beautiful again.

Mike

2. initialjh Aug 11, 2014

look forward to input here. I have an old 30T2 that also needs attention..

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 11, 2014

I don't condone dial restoration, but if you do want it done, there is only one place in the UK to consider and that's David Bill.

http://www.davidbill.co.uk/

4. John R Smith Aug 12, 2014

If you are going to get this dial refurbished, then you will need to do some quality research to establish exactly how the original lettering and chapter rings were done, in terms of style, size, and placement. Don't leave it up to the imagination of the restorer . . .

Habitant likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 12, 2014

Having said that, the minute hand must be checked to make sure it is the original hand or a wrong replacement. (looks wrong and short to me)

John R Smith likes this.
  6. John R Smith Aug 12, 2014

Well, I hate to disagree with you Stewart, but their "before and after" gallery does not inspire me with much confidence. I've never had a dial done by them myself, so I have no personal experience, but look at all the errors - text wrongly positioned, incorrect chapter rings (design and position), wrongly shaped lume plots etc. Not on every dial but on a high percentage. Why would they choose these as examples of their work?

7. initialjh Aug 12, 2014

it's hard to get the dial exactly right, but... some case studies there, agree, can tell not exactly right. The skill of re-dial is to get it to a point that it's imperceptible. Maybe better to find a NOS dial instead?

8. omegabarmy Aug 12, 2014

I've counted seven or eight watchmakers marks on the back cover, so I would not be surprised to find a replacement hand. The seconds hand is also slightly bent. I now have the movement running to around + 20 seconds a day, in the middle of the adjustment (and on the wrist). Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm in no rush so please keep 'em coming. Much appreciated. Mike

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 12, 2014

I know what you mean John and Bill are the people recommended /used by watchmakers. As the OP is UK based, they would appear to be his best bet. I would never have a dial re-finished myself but, from what I have read on this site, the far east is the place for the top quality work.

John R Smith likes this.
  10. John R Smith Aug 12, 2014

Mike - what movement is this? The minute hand is certainly incorrect as Hoi says.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 12, 2014

Looks like a 30mm manual wind movement.

12. omegabarmy Aug 12, 2014

It's a cal 267, 17jewel in a Dennison case, movement serial No 17569***. Has anyone used Roberto Facchini in Norfolk?

Mike

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 12, 2014

It's a common movement and original dials are usually available. Measure the exact dial diameter and you might just be able to source an original dial (and sometimes with the correct hands also). I think an original dial would be much more attractive than a redial at least IMO.

14. omegabarmy Aug 12, 2014

I shall be on the lookout as I do prefer to keep originality if I can.
    Mike

15. John R Smith Aug 12, 2014

Here are two dials with correct feet for cal 267 -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...Accessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item1c433364b5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Vintag...Accessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item1c43bc4889Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

But of course they are not the same style. You will have to check diameter as well, to be sure that they will fit your case. However they are in the UK and available now.

P.S. The first one is a service dial from the 1960s.

16. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 12, 2014

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 12, 2014

Just FYI - those three listings are all redials.

18. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 12, 2014

I stand corrected! iPhone and no reading glasses is my only excuse. :whipped:

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for the help, Mike.
    I'm looking at that logo and wondering what planet am I on ?

Btw, I need a correct 283 dial.

20. Habitant Aug 13, 2014

Like John, I've had some disappointing work done by DR Bill. They may have been good once, but I'm left with the feeling that they don't feel they need to try as hard now. They are very limited in the dies they have, and are a bit lazy about getting it right, in my opinion and experience.

My own experience with C&F Dial restoration has been better and I recommend them. They do have some dials which are incorrectly finished in their gallery, though, and just for interest I asked about them the other day and was assured that those are custom dials and the finishes are as per customer's requests.

Others may pop up with their own favourites (or even favorites!), but my point isn't to make a pitch for one dial company over another, not really. My experience with dial finishing companies suggests that one must always research first, make sure what finish you want, supply examples and ask them if they can do it as original or as per your research. Always, always, always. These people aren't Omega experts, by and large. They don't work at the Omega Museum. They haven't written A Journey Through Time. At best, they're craftsmen and you need to work with them to get the results you want and expect.

Stewart H and John R Smith like this.