Forums Latest Members

Dial observations? - 40's Tricompax

1. waXology Apr 12, 2017

So picked this up the other week. Dial looks original though have never seen those subdial numbers and fonts before. Is this a service dial? Also, my watch guy told me he couldn't find a acrylic that shows the outer ring. But the blue scale is there, as is BASE and as is 'SWISS' at the 6 o'clock. It just cannot be seen. My watch guy said case was the wrong size??? not sure what he means.

new_watch.JPG

So now i'm confused. I'm pretty certain this dial wasn't supplied with this watch which i don't mind. But could be wrong.

Thoughts? Observations?

Best.

Syrte likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 12, 2017

Show us the case back. Ref and first four sn digits. It's a legit dial. Crown looks ok. Nice watch. The original moon dial is a rare bird these days. If this was a service dial I doubt it would be there.

3. TexOmega Apr 12, 2017

Nice, I love the radial placement of the sub dial numerals, and nice alpha hands.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 12, 2017

So using new knowledge. 40's case with 50's dial. Closed 6 and 9 short lines on the minute sub. 40's had open. No worries though.

5. waXology Apr 12, 2017

Yeah im thinking the dial isn't original to the watch. but no doubt it is a legit dial.

1106XXX

So 1945.

6. waXology Apr 12, 2017

Lastly, any idea why or what glass is needed. I'm baffled why or how the SWISS and BASE are not visible. But are there in blue like the outer numbers.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 12, 2017

Why a new glass? This one is fine. Tube of Poly watch.

8. waXology Apr 12, 2017

I mean i like seeing the word SWISS in the dial. It's cut off for some reason.

9. bgrisso Apr 12, 2017

I see what you mean by the outer scale being less visible than normal. I would think that is an issue with the case, and specifically the bezel, not the acrylic. In other words I would think there is nothing you can do with a different acrylic that would fix it, what you need is a different case? Given this is a later dial in an earlier case, It seems likely that's the issue right? Perhaps the original case gave more room to the dial. Anyhow, just thinking off the top of my head.

waXology and Larry S like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 12, 2017

Regardless a beautiful and desirable Watch. Enjoy!

waXology likes this.
  11. bgrisso Apr 12, 2017

Yah I like the dial and the alpha hands and the moon phase disc. And it's pretty hard to tell about the outer scale and Swiss from just one shot, which is not head on. I just had a look at a pic of my tri in the shop and Swiss looks pretty cut off, so who knows. And I think my dial/case pairing are original. Maybe one of our resident experts can chime in, I'm still learning.

12. waXology Apr 12, 2017

Outdoors shot. Can see Base and top of Swiss

IMG_3302.jpg

13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 12, 2017

It could be that your watch guy doesn't have access to an acrylic crystal that has a lower dome. High dome crystals often create unwanted parallax at the periphery of a dial. These dials can't be switched out willy-nilly. Each dial has a very specific movement it can go on, and each movement has a specific case it can fit into. The dial proportion and size looks to be for a 287 which is appropriate for this reference (third digit being 5)

Original crystal:
    [​IMG]

I think that the dial has most likely been cleaned in the past given its inconsistent aging patterns, but I think it is an attractive example overall.

I don't quite agree with your assessment. While the minute and sub-second register fonts are uncommon for this period (but not unheard of), the hallmark of a 50's Tri-Compax dial is the recessed date register - the dial in question has a printed one. Going by the logo font I would say this is a dial from the last couple of years of the 40's. Serial numbers are a rough estimate to begin with. However, it isn't exactly an unmolested watch, so it is possible that the dial isn't original to the watch. But I would consider it to be period correct at least.

Kmart, billving, zr4484 and 2 others like this.
  14. 88cut Apr 12, 2017

Not seeing the "Swiss" may simply be a design flaw

15. zr4484 Apr 13, 2017

Yes since I was the one who mentioned this in the other thread, the difference is the recessed date, I would place this possibly late 40s as well.

16. waXology Apr 13, 2017

Thanks guys. All these comments put me at ease now :)

:)

Larry S likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 13, 2017

@jordn & @zr4484 ... could you post a pick of a 50's Tri dial with recessed date register for our edification.

Thanks --- so much to learn.

18. ELV web Apr 13, 2017

@TexOmega tri

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 13, 2017

Ah yes. Thanks

20. kreyke Nov 17, 2017

Is there meant to be lume on the dial which is lost almost entirely?

I believe the general consensus is that lume on dial = lume on hands.