Dial damaged while shipping?! I am confused....any thoughts greatly appreciated

I recently sold my Certina DS to a forum member in Sweden. As some of you who I have traded with in the past know, I always discuss flaws in detail after looking the watch over with a loupe.

This morning I received a note from the buyer about some dial damage that he found after unboxing. The pics are below. I am at a complete loss to explain this as I know the watch on this dial was lovely when I sent it.

And I have a buyer who is understandably upset, as I would be in his position. I will of course return his money and pay for return shipping.

But has anything like this (dial damage in transit) ever happened to any of you?

Dial pics before shipping:

before shipping 1.jpg before shipping 2.JPG before shipping 3.JPG before shipping 4.JPG

Dial pics upon receipt of watch in Sweden:

x1282800-920bd4cea0110fa11c77c1df68150684.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hEKvhJCeWe.webp
x1282801-62200be2284361daaae71aba0228ff49.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PjHOQQmahA.webp

x1282806-a4930c376814d46413396646385913ec.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IW3ni1-ydL.webp

x1282807-509ba35caabbf9bc6293e4d6c80e17f8.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RTe4OTd0s-.webp

x1282808-4d28c5e3816505e494d82fb496021785.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QjhelxmsAt.webp

x1282809-c3fde8b1f102d78ab9611a9f01246173.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pQBhmIEBSj.webp
Edited:

I'd collect the shipping insurance. They booted that box pretty hard. This is contingent on your packing the watch such that it wouldn't be able to move much. I'd ask to have a watchmaker inspect it because it looks to me like the movement shifted in the case!

There are devices called "Shockwatch" that can detect excessive G-forces on your items. Too late now but for the rest of you, might be worth getting for your watches that you're shipping.

These are the before pics. I am having a hard time uploading the buyers pics....

I'm seeing distortion at the top and bottom of the dial, right at 12 and 6. If you see that too, might that not be what he's questioning?

I just edited my initial post and you can see what the dial looks like after shipping. I went over this watch with a loupe and the dial was as pictured when I sent it. I cannot wrap my head around this!

The only thing I can think of is that the circular pattern and location suggest hand drag from the hour hand....

That thing looks beat to death in both the before and after....holy smokes!

If there was ever a "sold as-is with nor returns" transaction, this should have been it.

Is this a very expensive or rare watch that anyone would want it in this condition?

Please, stop with the hyperbole. What, exactly, is "beat to death" beyond, perhaps, the bezel?

The only thing I can think of is that the circular pattern and location suggest hand drag from the hour hand....

Does the buyer have a UV light? This looks like lume dust falling out of the hour hand.

The circle looks like it doesn't quite line up with the back of the hands.

I'm just putting my humble ten pence into arena best suited to those who ship watches alot and to watchmakers.
From the receivers images I am wondering if part of the lume is now brushing against the dial. it hopefully isn't anything more than lume dust that has stuck on dial. Something for a watchmaker to sort out.

Hope you and the buyer can find an amicable solution and that shipping agent is appropriately responsive.
plus one on @MikeMan2727 uv light

Please, stop with the hyperbole. What, exactly, is "beat to death" beyond, perhaps, the bezel?
Sorry - did not mean to offend, just commenting. OK, looks "rough," - is that okay?

Removed my offending post, did not mean to disrespect OP.

Is it possible the crystal was compressed in shipping and the drag happened? The watch ran for a period of time during the transit

The circular pattern is suggestive of hand movement, sure. So maybe the box got roughed up a bit? But I don't see the hour hand dragging in the buyers pics, so I'm confused.

The watch was very well packed and triple boxed.

I sent this via Fedex/Parcelpro and I'll contact Parcelpro to check their damage policy. But don't know if the before and after pics will be enough..

I am the receiver.

Here is a shot under UV-light, definitely not just lume fallen off. This looks like circular pretty deep scratches.
IMG_2439.jpg

The watch was well packed with triple boxes, big-smaller-small, none of the boxes where harmed in any way or had any signs of abuse from the outside.

I also noticed two big jacks in the crystal at 12 and 6 o'clock that I did not see in the before pics, can it be possible that the crystal / watch has been compressed for a while and the hour-hand scratched the dial surface in the meantime?
The watch is running fine now and the hand don't seem to be close to the dial surface.

(Sorry, very hard to capture on camera)
IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2441.JPG

Me and @tmw57 are of course discussing how to proceed and there are no hard feelings, I totally believe the dial was just as in good condition as in the description when he shipped it.

S..,
I could not be sorrier and will of course take care of this matter to your complete satisfaction.
I feel bad for the both of us..
Cheers,
T

It sounds like the watch received a strong shock causing the hands/dial to shift closer to each other.

Very sad to hear for the both of you. Hope the insurance will solve this. Also sad for the watch.

Total class on display here.

Much respect to you both.

It is so upsetting to receive a watch that was less than promised.

And I've been there multiple times. But never on OF!