Forums Latest Members
  1. sentry Oct 27, 2017

Planning to purchase the ref 166 on the left. What do you all think of the condition of the dial? Are the spots something that will worsen over time?

If anyone spots anything strange about the dial as well, that would be good to know.

Also, how often do you service a watch of this age (1965)?

HwheBPC.jpg
  2. M'Bob Oct 27, 2017

Those dial spots are very common. Seems to be either an acute moisture exposure, or gradually, over time. Will they worsen? Probably depends on future use - if you subject the watch to frequent temperature and moisture fluctuations, probably. If you don't, often they won't worsen significantly.

sentry likes this.
  3. sentry Oct 27, 2017

I see. Thanks for your feedback. Does it look like the Omega symbol and name are aligned properly? I've been looking at these pictures so long it's starting to look funny to me...

4. M'Bob Oct 27, 2017

Admittedly not my area of expertise, but my vote is that both dials are original. By the way, you uncommonly see these spots on refinished dials, another clue.

sentry likes this.
  5. No Mercy Oct 27, 2017

The SS Seamaster look nice: Original dial & hands - sharp case - correct crown.

GuiltyBoomerang and sentry like this.
  6. François Pépin Oct 27, 2017

The pics are not the best, but both dials look good to me.

Concerning the service frequency, the usual answer (without knowing anything else) is: well, it depends!

sentry likes this.
  7. M'Bob Oct 27, 2017

If the watch hasn't had a recent, documented service, and you plan to wear it, have it serviced. If you wear it regularly thereafter, service about every five years. If worn sporadically, you may get a couple/few years in addition to that before it needs a standard service again.

sentry likes this.
  8. sentry Oct 27, 2017

Added a few more here - let me know if that helps!

5zFNjwr.jpg Hiz8iat.jpg hlllkfO.jpg
  9. François Pépin Oct 27, 2017

Looks good to me!

sentry and ChrisN like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 27, 2017

Looks like a nice honest watch.

Ensuring the watch is sealed properly with a correct Omega crystal, new case gasket and crown should mitigate any further deterioration to the dial.

sentry and GuiltyBoomerang like this.