Forums Latest Members

Deville Prestige - missing bezel

1. winegirlnc Dec 31, 2013

I sent my husband's steel and gold Deville to the repair center as it had stopped running. I got the repair estimate today and was shocked to learn the bezel was missing. They sent me this image.jpg photo, and it is indeed gone. Is it possible it could have come off while being shipped? I'm certain it was there when I sent the watch off. Can bezels just pop off? How does the watch hold together without one?

2. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

Welcome to OF. Did you contact the repair center? I am not sure why they would have taken the bezel off during a look at the movement, but that is worth a try. Did they actually repair the watch? Because if they did, they would have performed a cleaning at which time they would have removed the bezel to clean it.

3. winegirlnc Dec 31, 2013

I called them and they claim it came to them without the bezel. They say it needs a partial service (including battery replacement) plus a new bezel. The bezel alone will cost $584. I'm in shock.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

What repair center is this you sent it to? Did you take photos of the watch before you sent it?

If you know the specific model of the watch (the reference number) post it here and I will see what the bezel costs. If they are quoting $584 I'm assuming it must be a solid gold bezel...

Cheers, Al

5. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

That price seems low for solid gold. My 2254's SS bezel cost around $470. Are the gold bezels really just $100 more?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

What is the entire reference number for your "2254"?

A new bezel assembly for a 22545000 is $275, so not sure where you paid $470 for one...unless yours is something different.

Keep in mind this is a small watch with a thin gold bezel, so no where near the size of what is on a men's dive watch...

7. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

2254.50.00. Last year I sent it to NJ OMEGA for a full service which cost, including the option for a new bezel, $807. I was quoted something in the neighborhood of $470 just for the new bezel.

8. winegirlnc Dec 31, 2013

Hi, Archer-
    The reference number is 43101200. According to the repair estimate, it's a "STEELGOLD BEZEL DB1961150." I sent it to the Secaucus, NJ, repair center.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos before I sent it in and I am kicking myself for it. There was nothing wrong with the exterior of the watch; the only problem was that it had stopped running. I know there was a bezel on it when I packed it for shipping. Thanks!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

Just got a quote for the bezel for this model in mid-November - price is $275 Canadian. They seem to be charging a lot to install it in NJ! LOL!

BTW installation takes about 15 seconds....

10. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

Full bezel part number is 082DB1961150. I will get a price for this and let you know, but it won't be for a day or two as they are off right now for New Years. I would personally push them to look for the bezel and tell them that it was on the watch when you sent it in, and if it's not there now, they lost it and should cover the cost of replacing it.

I always advocate taking photos of a watch before sending it for service, and you can be sure I take photos when they arrive in my shop as I unpack the watches. That way I'm not going to get blamed for marks that are already on the watch...IMO both parties need to protect themselves.

Cheers, Al

ron n likes this.
  12. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

Error! I just called my AD. NJ charged me $336 for the bezel and installation. The total cost was $807 = $471 service + $336 bezel.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

I think Otto Frei only charges $289 US for these bezels...http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html

Looks like the AD may be adding in a mark up on your service as well. I usually charge $30 for removing the old bezel and installing the new one - if done as part of a full service, I install it all for free.

Anyway, $470 was way out of whack so glad they didn't rip you off too badly.

Cheers, Al

14. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

The AD sent it to NJ and NJ quoted those prices to them. I am thinking about getting a new bezel in the near future, so Ofrei will be getting a call from me.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

Well an AD gets quoted 2 prices - what they pay, and what you pay....these are obviously not the same numbers...

The AD always gets their cut.

Cheers, Al

16. Spy You know my name. Dec 31, 2013

I did not realize that. Thanks.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

You might think it's easy money for the AD, but they have to take the watch in, arrange to send it off, contact you with a price, get your confirmation, pay for the service when it's done and then charge you when you pick it up, then deal with any problems that might arise.

Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

Glad this thread has been enlightening....BTW if you send your watch in directly, you will still pay the full retail price, but now Omega keeps the cut instead of the AD...factory service is a bit of a racket! ;)

Cheers, Al

18. winegirlnc Jan 11, 2014

Hi, Archer-
    Just wondering if you ever got a price on this...thanks!

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

No sorry - forgot but have included it now in a list of things I need prices for from this weekend's work. I'll get back to this thread as soon as they give me the pricing. Hopefully Monday sometime....

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2014

You have a PM.

Cheers, Al