Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case
    14K solid yellow gold
    Case back
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    Dial
    With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "stick" hands. With "Seamaster" (until 1963) or "Seamaster De Ville" (since 1963) on the dial.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

The eBay description says the watch is a bumper, but it isn't, it is a full rotor automatic. The dial looks in decent condition. I really like the applied "omega" rather than the printed. Can't help you with the rust issue, but you could probably buy a new set of hands from Cousins or Otto Frei.

3. Jesper Oct 25, 2012

Hey - thanks for the advice. I am not a collecter - looking to buy only one - so hopefully it can be restored (rust) fairly cheap.
    The overall running condition is impossible to tell. Still trying to figure out if I buy a restored or one like this

The seller states " *SOLD AS IS* - *NO RETURNS* - *ALL SALES ARE FINAL*

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 25, 2012

Hi
    The movement looks in good condition. The 5xx series of movements are very good. You'll never get a mechanical watch keeping as accurate time as a good quartz, but a good watchmaker should be able to get it to +\- 5 seconds a day. Getting a new second hand won't be cheap - nothing is cheap when comes to vintage watches . Go to the Otto Frei website and you might be able to get prices for a new set of hands. Usually things are organised by case number, which for this watch is 165.0020.

Jesper likes this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 25, 2012

On price, I am no expert, but I would suggest sub $500

Jesper likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2012

The description says a 552 , not a bumper. but there is is a problem, The edge of the rotor bridge appears badly scraped and I don't like that. Odd amounts of rust about. I think this watch has some recent water damage.

7. Jesper Oct 25, 2012

Thanks alot for your time

8. Jesper Oct 25, 2012

Okay - Ill takle that into consideration. Think Ill pass this and wait for the next one.

9. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2012

That would be a wise decision. These SMDV's pop up in mint condition often enough. For this particular series, it's usually cheaper to pay the extra up front for an excellent specimen than to buy a beater and fork out the cash for repairs & parts.

Jesper likes this.
  10. Jesper Oct 25, 2012

Got it - good to know cause it is in this area I want my piece:)