Devil: 'Just buy it'. Angel: 'You don't need another chrono'.

So...here we are. I never liked complications. Then I did. And like many things, I got snared and the fakkin trap is ever tight. After I found a mint 3570.50 full set 4 1/2 years ago, I got, um, totally hooked on pushers. I love my Speedmaster. After the Speedy, I was done with chronos.

But wait! I really liked the Tutima Flieger Friday. Only 25 were made, sure, but beyond that it is simply a really great watch. It's such an enjoyable and sporty watch to wear. I love it. Done, right?

Y'know? I really dig the vintage vibe of the Hamilton Chronomatic Panda. My AD of choice had a brand new one in stock. I tried it on. I was smitten, and as I've said before, it makes me smile every time I put it on. And it looks great both on the 60's-style mesh bracelet that pairs well with a Negroni, and on leather with Hamilton deployant. End of story.

Hey! You know the Tudor Heritage chrono that helped reignite the brand in North America some 15 years ago? The one with the love it/hate it "I'd rather work on a movement fished out of a box of cat litter than a Dubois Depraz module" and the +/- 9000 mm case height? Yeah, that one. They were discontinued a couple of years back. Anyway, I tried one on the other day and guess what? I was blown away how great it looked, how comfortable it was to wear, and, like my Tudor GMT did not at all feel like a slab-sided billboard. I'm not at all concerned about the DD module thing as Tudor will simply replace the movement at service time. No, my only real concern is my inability to stave of the lure of Hey shiny things!

So....Devil? Angel? Therapy? What sayeth you scribes?

I vigorously support the purchase of chronographs with timing bezels. I, further, will die in the hill of arguing for the superior functionality of 12-hour bezel inserts.

If that makes me a devil, then so be it.

Indeed. Watches are exceptional investment vehicles.

The charts on Chrono24 say my collection has had a CAGR of ~7%. Surely they wouldn't lie to me.

I see no mention of Landerons. One can never have too many landeron (parts.)

Chronographs are like rabbits. They breed as soon as you get a mama and a papa together. Piano rolls do the same thing.

I see no mention of Landerons. One can never have too many landeron (parts.)

Chronographs are like rabbits. They breed as soon as you get a mama and a papa together. Piano rolls do the same thing.

You are so right. After I bought my first Speedmaster the rot set in and now there are eight chronos in the cupboard, including some vintage. Now I am looking at thinning out all my watches, I cannot decide which of the chronos I can bear to part with. I think I will start with the others........

The charts on Chrono24 say my collection has had a CAGR of ~7%. Surely they wouldn't lie to me.
Of course their numbers wouldn’t lie. C24 is the bastion of realistic valuations.

You are so right. After I bought my first Speedmaster the rot set in and now there are eight chronos in the cupboard, including some vintage. Now I am looking at thinning out all my watches, I cannot decide which of the chronos I can bear to part with. I think I will start with the others........

@sheepdoll - Actually I just checked, and there were ten chronos. You were right - they breed.

I never saw a chrono I didn’t want. One caveat, they are getting more expensive to service.

Indeed. Watches are exceptional investment vehicles.
This is my excise when my little voice qhisper in my ear:' you have enough watches.

Keep going but do not expose more than 25% of your total wealth. 25% is okay.

Ok. Clearly you need a Daytona. That I know.
Hahaha!! Need? To round out the collection maybe, but want? Nope. I may be a chronograph outlier when I admit I don’t connect with even the most unobtainable vintage Daytona. I’m not sure what it is about Rolex chronos, but they’ve never excited me.

To round out the collection maybe

we need to see such collection to properly judge you and shame you into buying a Daytona. Hey, that’s how I know I need Daytona.

If you have Daytona money, just get a vintage Tudor Monte Carlo!

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 12.47.02 PM.png
Exactly! Love them. I’m not sure about parts availability for these babies nowadays but there’s one for sale here in Canada at the bargain price of CDN$25,750. Killer watch. And yes, I’d buy one over a Daytona if I had those deeper pockets.