Forums Latest Members

development of posting habits since introduction of 200 post rule

1. Bienne2998 Apr 12, 2015

It would be interesting to hear from the moderators how the posting habits on omega forum developed since the introduction of the 200 post rule.
    In my opinion there are a lot of new members and they post more than before the rule was introduced.
    Well this is true for me. my posting rate has gone up sharply

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 12, 2015

Good point. I have noticed one new member who has posted more than 100 in their first week. I'm expecting to see them posting in the Private Sales section next weekend - but then I'm just knarled and cynical.

3. lenny Apr 12, 2015

This is a common forum phenomenon. Perhaps all new (potential) members should be required to create a watch history/review article to show their true interest[emoji48].

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 12, 2015

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 12, 2015

I think with a lot of new people on board the search feature is not being used as so many repeat threads that are only a few weeks apart.This is getting annoying

The 200 is seen as being in the club now for some reason, which is good but there is no reason to rush to get there

6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 12, 2015

Perhaps there should be a minimum time as a member as well as a 200 posting mark prior to posting sales.

I regard this forum as a place to learn and have a bit of fun, not as a place to do business so maybe I've missed the mark, but it would slow those who just want to dump junk.

The problem with such rules is it does turn a great forum into a bit of a totalitarian state after a while, you really can't win again the scurvy dog types.

7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 12, 2015

There have been a few Barry Crocker's this week. But others keep replying to these threads and I have to admit that plenty of members are continuing to try and be helpful.
    I've only been able to access through TapaTalk, on my phone, recently so can't see members post counts. If people are posting 100 times in a week then I suppose it would be more useful to see 'join date' alongside a members post count (on the full site).

I did get fed up enough to go back and have a look at TZ-UK today. Things haven't changed over there at all. Same threads, same standard replies, same bitching, moaning and fighting. Remembered why I left ;)
    Hopefully the general positive attitude can be maintained here at OF.

And regarding the "search" function, I think a few of the 'old brigade' could do themselves, and the forum as a whole, a great favour by using more accurate thread titles rather than trying to be coy, mysterious or humorous. ;)

Edited Apr 12, 2015
    lenny likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 12, 2015

Agree!

9. Flingit1200s Apr 12, 2015

Normally I am not a "glass is half full" person but some of the new member, what is my watch threads are showing some research behind the questions. Seems it has gotten a tad bit better on that front. Statistically I think the experts will become more and more in the minority as the forum grows. It appears that the mods have complete control here so even if someone post farms their way to the 200 club just to be able to sell, the mods can choose to label them a "farmer" and not allow their sales........true?

Frunkinator likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2015

This is the thing though, they don't need to farm 200 posts, they can just ask one of us and we can check them out. The guys that farm 200 get put on a no-fly list, so they get there and nothing happens, that's only if its really obvious and they don't stop when asked to stop, so for nobody who's been asked to stop doing it has ever had a problem. It is actually a lot rarer than you'd expect.

Ultimately over time the guys that get really serious and into the whole vintage watch thing will end up adding to the more experienced guys and that's what has to happen, that knowledge getting passed on and preserved. If anything the pool of knowledgable guys has grown significantly over the last few years, the guys who come don't learn much don't tend to stay, the ones who become serious collectors have to learn or they'll get nowhere.

11. Flingit1200s Apr 12, 2015

Point taken. Obviously I am still viewing the site through "newbie glasses" plus my taste thus far is for the more modern Omegas. It will be fun to see how this site and the Omega line develops!

12. imexian Apr 20, 2015

I think its a time thing for a few people, i have a rush of questions, posts etc, then get bogged down with work stuff and have no time to post or read OF much. Will always try to check out this site at least once a day.
    I do find some questions a bit banal though over and over again, like the how much is it worth, is it real etc, the answers from the real Omega pros are the best though, especially the tech ones from Al, or that type.
    Ian

Frunkinator likes this.
  13. Tjmmartin Apr 20, 2015

Joined 2013. Only started posting recently. Only have 10 vintage watches. Don't sell watches. Tried to start a genuine upfront debate about a topic but accused of trying to get to the 200 mark because of my continued posts on the subject ( decided to keep quiet about it but haven't changed my mind! - also already had FS posting rights anyway ). New members should quickly discover they don't need to have 200 posts to post on FS etc ( plenty of posts letting them know they can contact moderators for exemption ). I think as more new members join they will question established wisdom ( switching DON bezels from 145.022 to older models etc ) which I hope will be welcomed. On the flip side I'm very conscious of previous threads about how this forum funds itself and am aware that I'm really only a visitor.

RawArcher likes this.
  14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 20, 2015

It'll probably take me a long time to get to 200 posts because I am a person who likes to wear Omega watches and have no interest in "collecting". But it's nice to see the various models and get a sense of what was was available when. I kind of want to replace the reference 14700 Seamaster I foolishly sold some years ago (and got ripped off on the payments), but I'm in no hurry to do that. I have my Watcho Seamaster 300 to keep me happy. :)

Tom

Tjmmartin likes this.
  15. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Apr 20, 2015

"On the flip side I'm very conscious of previous threads about how this forum funds itself and am aware that I'm really only a visitor."

Not sure what you're getting at here, the only a visitor part.

16. Tjmmartin Apr 20, 2015

Not getting at anything!!!....genuine appreciation that some individuals spend a lot of time running the forum. Having organised many events etc in the past I understand how irritating it can be when individuals who have contributed little upset the apple cart.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2015

You wanted to put pears in the apple cart because they were cheaper. We wanted to cart apples and apples only because its a apple cart. Nothing else can go in the cart except ::censored:: apples ;)

We dont hold anything against you at all, just stick to the apples only in the apple cart rule and all will be all good

Tjmmartin likes this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 20, 2015

I wouldn't worry you're not even in the top 20 irritating members, half of them irritated us so much we made them moderators so our irritation could become their irritation. :coffee:

noelekal, gemini4, Spacefruit and 6 others like this.
  19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 20, 2015

Does that mean that they're only moderately irritating now? ::rimshot::

20. whatever1983 Apr 22, 2015

I am a new user (as you can see this is my first post)! I do not know what the 200 post rule means but I do know that my fiance just bought me an Omega as a wedding gift. My first watch ever! I hope to learn more about Omegas, and watches in general.