Forums Latest Members

Devastated! Broken Crown on new PO 8500 Titanium

1. MattA Dec 23, 2013

8 weeks ago my wife and kids bought me a lovely new titanium PO. The watch is truly spectacular and I was impressed with the timekeeping (between +1 to +3s/day), finish and presentation of this piece (232.90.46.21.03.001).

I've attached a photo that I recently took on my kitchen table (with 2 flash units and natural window light). The watch is amazing under different light conditions (vibrant blue in the sun to subdued grey/blue in office light).

The image shown at the Omega website is terrible and doesn't do the watch justice.

Anyhow, a few days back I decided to adjust the time and while unwinding the crown IT FELL OFF IN MY HAND!!!

Seriously: no drops, bangs or rough handling. This watch is brand new and nursed. (Note for info: that the titanium bracelet does show every little scratch much more readily than the SS version - even where the clasp rubs against the links shows wear after 1-2 days).

Anyhow, I took the watch back to the local Omega Shop where it was purchased (I live in the Middle East) and he was helpful and sympathetic but mostly concerned that the watch had been dropped. He advised that this was the first broken crown on a PO he had ever seen.

The bad news is that he indicated approximately 1 month to repair. I'm really saddened and my wife is pretty bummed also having forked out all that cash on a wonderful birthday present.

Anyhow on to my questions:

(1) Has anyone else had a similar experience with a PO or any other Omega?
    (2) Is there any way that this could be a defect? Really, how could the stem simply break?
    (3) Is there any way that I could have broken this myself while unscrewing the crown? I thought I was being very gentle (not my first swiss watch BTW).

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Devastated.

Omega_PO.jpg
  2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 23, 2013

Is the stem intact with the crown? If so it could just be the retaining screw is loose and it came out.

3. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 23, 2013

they should give you a loaner
    defect

4. MattA Dec 23, 2013

Hi Kringkily, There was a short section of 'stem' still attached to the crown with a very very small 'bolt' at the far end. I couldn't work out if it was broken or unscrewed but the dealer seemed to think it had broken. Note that I was able to screw the crown back in place and the watch was functioning perfectly (aside from the inability to adjust time or date).

5. MattA Dec 23, 2013

Hi pitpro, Great idea that didn't occur to me at the time....I would have accepted a direct replacement but it's unlikely that they had stock...

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 23, 2013

Well without the crown being locked in the adjustment of time and date wouldn't be possible. I am more thinking it would just need to be remedied by having a watchmaker simple tighten the screw once put back. If it was broken then it would have a sharp end or something where you can see a break. Can't imagine unless you dropped it directly on the crown or were running/swinging ur arm and the crown took the brunt of the damage. Let us know how it turns out. If they are willing to take it back I can also help source a new one for you.

7. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2013

No watch brand is immune to crown problems or defects of any kind. Now, if a lug dropped off I'd be upset and demand a replacement. You'll survive a month without it if you don't make enough noise to get a new PO. No need to be devastated that a luxury item had a fluke issue - unless because of the crown problem your family won't eat for a week. Then it's a traumatizing event.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2013

Do you have a photo of the stem and crown? It sounds to me like the stem may have become disengaged, and the whole stem (with crown) has come out of the watch, rather than being broken off.

Here is an illustration of what the 8500's stem looks like - part with the red arrow:

[​IMG]

Of course no crown shown here, but the left hand end of this picture would show the portion of the stem that goes into the movement, so if it looked like this, it wasn't broken.

The 8500 (and most modern Omega watches for that matter) doesn't use a screw to hold the setting lever in place like many vintage watches do. The setting lever is simply placed on the movement, and the setting lever jumper is placed on top to hold it in place. The stem is released by pushing a button rather than undoing a screw...even movements back as far the 550 series have this arrangement actually.

So there are a few possible things that could have happened here:

1 - Stem has broken, which would be very unusual without some force being applied to the crown.

2 - Stem has pulled out of the movement, and this could have a couple of causes:

A - stem cut slightly too short - it may be just barely engaging and if pulled even a little bit too hard it would pop out. But usually this will result in problems setting and winding the watch.

B - the stem was pulled too hard and the setting lever is damaged - if the small pin that goes into the groove in the stem is rounded off, the stem can come out more easily.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

DLT222 and Trev like this.
  9. Spy You know my name. Dec 23, 2013

I am sorry to hear this for your sake and your wife. I did have a crown (stem) break a 2200.50 PO I once owned. It sucked.

10. Spy You know my name. Dec 23, 2013

By the way, that is the absolute best photo I have seen of the LM PO. :)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

Its just really unlucky, I've never seen that happen to a PO or Cal 8500 watch ever, once its back don't feel worried it'll happen again, its an extraordinarily rare thing to occur.

12. MattA Dec 30, 2013

Archer, Looking at the schematics you've posted, the stem has definitely broken. I didn't think to take a photo at the time however there was what appeared to be a tiny bolt (or nut) on the stem which isn't shown in the schematic. It's possible I'm mistaken.

I'm fairly certain that no unusual force has been applied to the crown however it is possible that I've pulled the crown too hard. I do recall slight resistance while pulling the crown out to adjust the date....it's possible I've over-done it?

13. MattA Dec 30, 2013

Thanks Spy. It did take about 50 shots to get it right (-;

gpobernardo and Spy like this.
  14. Spy You know my name. Dec 30, 2013

Your persistence paid off. :thumbsup:

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2013

Hard to say what the cause was mate. Could be it was unscrewed and caught on something, or it could have been a faulty part right from the factory. Also possibly the movement isn't aligned in the case correctly, so it's bending the stem, and that will cause it to work harden and snap - many possibilities, and without having the watch in front of me there's only guessing.

Hope they get it fixed for you.

Cheers, Al

16. ctime3 Dec 30, 2013

I spoke to an expert and was told it could be a simple human error because some people think machines assemble the stem into the crown. If the one small piece of the stem was not connected that could do it. I personally thought that was a sarcastic answer. But it was correct there was nothing else that could have caused this since the watch was not dropped.

17. MattA Jan 20, 2014

Hi All, Have received the watch back now and the crown has been replaced. Dealer advised that the stem was broken due to rough handling (I find this difficult to explain).

Anyhow, while I'm happy to have the watch back I noted two problems (at the risk of sounding like a grumbler):

1. There are now two very small scratches on the highly polished section of the case (these were definitely not there when I handed the as-new piece in for repair).
    2. The new crown does not align correctly: When fully tightened, the Omega symbol is now inverted/upside down. I've tried unscrewing and winding the crown however the thread alignment will always result in the crown locking in this strange position. The dealer tried to convince me that this could be corrected by not fully tightening the crown (i.e.: unwinding by a half-turn) although I assume that this affects the water-resistance.

It would be great if other's could check whether their crown is aligned?

Matt

18. ctime3 Jan 20, 2014

I woukd would probably walk into an Omega boutique or call if you are not close and report what happened.

19. MattA Jan 20, 2014

Hi ctime3, Yep - I originally bought and then returned the watch to the local Omega Boutique. My wife collected it after the repair however we returned that evening to speak with the dealer. There wasn't anything he could do........

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 20, 2014

If you took photos of the watch before you sent it in (always recommended) and can prove that the scratches were done during the repairs, then they should refinish free of charge.

In terms of the crown lining up when it's screwed down, this is a random thing, so not a defect at all. If your other one lined up previously, you got lucky.

Cheers, Al

SpikiSpikester likes this.