Forums Latest Members

Determining duty fee from FedEx: How?

1. msp1518 Jul 28, 2016

Calling FedEx sure wasn't much help. ::facepalm1::

So by chance I came across a clasp on eBay that I would like. It's $140 from Singapore, shipping cost of $30. In the seller's feedback there are a number of complaints for excessive import fees from FedEx totaling 40 to 50% of the cost of the item, which is outrageous.

How can I find out what I will be charged? Anyone had any experience with this? I absolutely will not go into this blind. I'd like to buy the clasp, but it's not a necessity.

Thanks in advance.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2016

The export fees are usually charged by FedEx and yes, they can be excessive. First, FedEx is charging postage. If this is express-type service, you have to be looking at about $30 minimum. Then they are going to charge a minimum fee for customs brokerage. You'd get this even if there is no customs duty, as they still have to clear it through. Probably somewhere between $10 and $20. The seller may or may not be charging an extra fee on top.

All this before you get to the first penny of customs duty!

I would say that for lower value items, you'd want to use international EMS that connects to USPS. The seller fills out the paperwork online or at their local post office. The package travels here by airmail, is cleared by customs at one of five international mail centers here in the USA. Then it becomes Priority Mail and is usually delivered 2 days after clearing. It's the luck of the draw, but my experience is that USPS rarely pays or charges customs, even when fully and properly declared by sellers.

I can see using a private mail service for higher value items, but remember FedEx generally refuses to insure jewelry over a certain amount. Used to be $500, but might be higher now.

There really is no perfect shipping method.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi likes this.
  3. 2ar2c1 Jul 31, 2016

fedex has a breakdown sheet available on their site, for use by sellers who are shipping into the US. It list a number of items which has to be filled in by the seller, so fedex can calculate the fee. Items include type of movement, type/matl of case, type/matl of bracelet/strap...