Forums Latest Members
  1. wallstdude Oct 14, 2011

hi guys. i desperately need help here. I saw this omega watch attached first n 2dnd pic which is very unclear, im sorry. can you help me identify it? the closest i can find is the centenary jubilee as shown 3rdpic.. the 4th one is one posted on ebay which looks very similar( anyone knows the values?)

TIA!

IMG-20111004-00029.jpg IMG-20111004-00030.jpg lomega28f11.jpg photo 2.JPG
    Bill Sohne likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 14, 2011

Maybe this might help:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Omega_Constellation_Gene_Pool.pdf

The smaller case Centenary used both dial styles that you show. The one marked "photo 2" is a clearly refinished dial, so be careful.

I can't comment on the watch in your picture, as it is too blurred to make a comparison.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. wallstdude Oct 15, 2011

Thanks alot, any chance to verify the last pic marked photo 2? Its a f6212 How much is it worth?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2011

"F 6212" is a US case reference number and that means the watch is not a Centenary. It shows as a gold filled case, and all Centenary's are solid 18K gold.

Back then, Omega sometimes shipped raw movements to the US and had locally produced cases made under license. By doing this, Omega shaved a few dollars in customs fees from the cost.

It is listed in the Omega Vintage Database:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wcWJZ_rUCgoJ:62.73.172.171/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&siteId=1&module=collection&objectId=14987&viewType=detailView&lang=en omega f6212&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I did a quick Google search and found a bunch of these, not a one with what I believe to be an original dial. There's one up for bid right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...833749758?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f0ef30efePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

No clue on price as they seem to be all over the board, but I wouldn't go over $200 for a watch like this.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

5. wallstdude Oct 15, 2011

Hi friend, thank you again for the help... im more keen on the centenary watch shown above as the first 2 pictures as id seen it at watch dealer. but i wasnt sure of the origins so i didnt buy it. May i know how much is it going at if its an authentic centenary ? do you think constellation is a better buy? i kinda like it too.

any takes on this bidding?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170708447475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2011

:eek: IS THAT SELLER ON DRUGS?!?!?! That watch has a refinished dial, the observatory medallion on the case back is worn nearly smooth, and it's not solid gold but stainless capped with a layer of gold. How the hell do they think they'll get $3,000 for it?????? That watch, if it were in MINT PERFECT condition, would sell for 1/3 of the price.

Wall Street Dude, I'm not going to pull any punches - you need some help picking vintage Omegas. The ones you've shown so far are perfect examples of what NOT to buy.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 15, 2011

Well he can certainly ask that price, but it's only worth what the buyer is willing to pay! ;)I would keep looking like Dennis said, ebay is full of Omegas!

8. wallstdude Oct 16, 2011

You r right. I really do appreciate some help. That first 2 pics should be a centenary which i wanted to buy. Not from ebay n he quoted me about usd3500. Is this a gd price?

Anyone has got a genuine original pics of a centenary fron back inside out to help me verify? Thanks

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 16, 2011

It should have a Cal. 341, no expert though.

Borrowed pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was this jumbo Centenary that went for $2.4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...772866060?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4aaf8d800cPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

10. wallstdude Oct 16, 2011

Hi thx! Btw, noticed the sub secs positioning is a little close to the 5oclock . Misalignment?

So if i should buy one, i should buy one in its original state? Not a refinished one?

Is there a whitish dial centenary at all? Cuz one id saw was whitish dial(prolly refinished i guess)

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2011

A Centenary has a gold-colored dial because the dial is solid 18K gold! ;)

Omega made automatic chronometers with white and two-tone dials which are highly collectible, but they aren't Centenary's. Here's one of mine:

[​IMG]

1950 Omega Catalog entry:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. wallstdude Oct 16, 2011

Nice watch fren! Thx for help! Do u haf the smaller centenary dial pics? Ah the one u saw was a white dial. So i guess its not as valuable... How much do u think r worth? A thousand usd?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 17, 2011

14. darren mason Nov 23, 2011

Hi,
    I am looking for help also in trying to find the rough year of this watch, it is a seamaster de ville left by my grandad. I dont have the serial number as it is inside but am due to take it into shop to get done within the next week. Best i have come up with is a 1960's era but this loks like the place to get expert help!! This is all in aid of getting the correct strap as it is fitted with a cheap leather one for now, any help appriciated:)
    Sorry i did not mean to highjack thread wallstdude. IMAG0108.jpg IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg
  15. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2011

HI Darren. It was made between 1963 and 1967. Norman Morris, the import agent for Omega in the US, wanted the word DeVille on the dial of these Seamasters for some marketing reason so that started in 1963. In 1967 the DeVille became a completely seperate line from the Seamaster. The dial on your watch has been refinished at some point in the watch's life. Also, there's something wrong with the caseback - it must have been polished down because the word WATERPROOF is missing, as is the raised circle around the hippocampus logo. The pics below show the correct fonts on that dial and a near mint caseback:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still, it's a nice watch and an heirloom to boot. It probably has a caliber 562 inside which was a reliable and accurate movement. It might have a caliber 560, which would make it an uncommon watch in a case reference #166.020 - the only model in stainless steel to come directly from Omega's factory in Bienne instead of being assembled in America with a US made case. The only way to tell is to have the crystal removed, the crown's stem split and taken out, and then lift the dial/movement out the front to see the inside of the caseback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. darren mason Nov 23, 2011

ULACKFOCUS
    Thanks for that information. You are correct it was put in for a service about 6 years ago at an omega dealer and cleaned up as my grandad did wear the watch everyday rather that put it on show. I dont think they would have polished it down that far would they?? if not then my grandad must have done it at some point. I think my grandad did get the watch from America/Canada whilst he was serving was the wording De ville on the seamaster an american market thing only??? Sorry but i know zip on watches. At least i can look for a strap that seems to suit it now from the right era a lot of straps seem to be in the asia area on the internet there is not much UK based that i can find.
    Thanks again:thumbsup:

17. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2011

Yes, DeVille was a US market thing but they were surely sold elsewhere when Omega saw how popular they were. Can't answer the question about what was done while being serviced though.

18. darren mason Nov 23, 2011

Had a look at the back and it does have waterproof on back case within the circle it is in the same style as the wording seamaster. Will ask the dealer to find out the inner markings next week. Thanks for prompt and insightful replies.
    Daz

19. lumhechati Apr 28, 2016

YES,here is a true 100% 1946 centenary(omega jubilee) with as stated 18kt gold case-only this is the smaller movement,dial original also a 28.10 RA PC JUB--REF#2499 1946 holy grail omega 003.JPG 1946 OMEGA AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER JUBILEE 002.JPG OMEGA AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER JUBILEE 017.JPG OMEGA AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER JUBILEE 004.JPG OMEGA AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER JUBILEE 036.JPG

dr.strangelove likes this.
  20. lumhechati Apr 28, 2016

1946 holy grail omega 003.JPG