Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 20, 2014

SM3004.jpg
  2. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

Now, now. Our friend Mr. Mayer taught us the perils of taking the trusted expert approach (though I agree, Dowling is, in my experience, quite good).

Anyone want to take us through the analysis and point things out for us milspec SM300 rookies?

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 20, 2014

While images of the inside would be helpful, from the available pictures the watch appears to be a legitimate example. The style of fixed bars, shape of case and issue markings are consistent with other correct examples. It could be that the hands are more recent replacement and this indicated in the listing.

4. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

Thanks, Joe.

What about that crown? That's the newer version. How did the military examples typically begin life, and how did they typically end up?--ie, were they replaced while the watch was still military property?

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 20, 2014

The early batches of W10 were delivered with the NAIAD crown, but were later converted to screw down crown. Later batches already came with the screw down crown from Omega.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 20, 2014

Respectable Joe K

While the hour markers appear to be flawless (I may be wrong), what caused the hands to be replaced?

Thank you.

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 20, 2014

I have no idea, other than the fact that the lume on the hands seems to be a different tone compared to the dial. This usually indicates they were replaced at some point.
    Thanks, Joe

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. donkii Mar 21, 2014

When looking at the dial, all the lume appears to be gone. It's possible that the dial has been cleaned and thats why the lume doesn't match the hands. The hands on the other hand is probably authentic even tho they look replaced. It's always hard to be sure when the lume on the dial isn't there so we could compare. On the other hand, if the lume has been cleaned out on the dial, the lume on the dial must have been in a terrible condition wish could mean that the hands probably has been changed. It's a hard one this.

Anyone interested in buying this piece?

9. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 21, 2014

Respectable Member donkii

I appreciate your pointing out, the lumes are all gone. On top of this, the hands replaced and I can see the bezel is not up to scratch. There is a good chance, this particular watch had seen better days.

I think it is much easier to get a Submariner or Sea-Dweller in close to mint condition than any Omega diver watch, especially the SM 120 and SM 300. As pointed out by respectable forum members previously, the Omega NAIAD winding-crown is suspect.

Thank you.

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 21, 2014

naida crown is correct for the first examples. need to see the mvmt. number to determine the age and therefore the correct crown. i`d expect more originality for this sort of price.... james is very good in many vintage things; vintage military can be tricky......kind regrds. achim

11. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 21, 2014

Respectable Member watchyouwant

Perhaps all the untouched vintage military Omega diver watches are already vaulted-up. They are rarely seen on the market.

Thank you.