Forums Latest Members
  1. Mr Bing Nov 4, 2015

Hello folks, new guy here. I've visited this forum a few times recently, found it interesting and informative, and this is my first time here as a member.

I'm a self confessed watch geek and Omega is my chosen brand. I'm the proud owner of a PO Limited Liquid Metal and more recently an Aqua Terra (golf). It's the AT that's giving me a headache....it was purchased new on bracelet but I'm looking to mix it up a bit with a strap or straps. I've got myself a OEM alligator strap at a good price and I'm looking for a 18mm deployment clasp to complete the look.

I'm quite shocked tbh at the price of a branded clasp so I've been looking on eBay. Prices range from £175 (used) to an extortionate £470 (new). I've found one at a more realistic price, pics look right, serial number 94521813 is present BUT something feels 'off' so I sent the seller a question asking if it is a genuine Omega part. This is the sellers response.....

I have got them by someone who told me It's made by third party
    authorised by omega but it's not made by omega. Therefore I think it
    can not be called fake but made by third party as a replacement for
    omega. And may be that's why it's cheap but it's 316l stainless steel.
    316l stainless steel is the high quality same buckle cost £150-300.
    However you can hardly say those are genuine.

I'm quite confused by the reply to be honest and alarm bells are ringing. Can anyone shed any light on the 'third party authorised by Omega' part? Does this sound genuine or is the seller spinning me a yarn?

Thanks
    Paul

2. wsfarrell Nov 4, 2015

They're fake---until the seller shows you the authorization letter from Omega.

That said, I've bought unbranded deployants in the Omega style on eBay and have been quite happy with them. I have one genuine example for comparison, but you're right: the prices are extortionate.

3. nurseford25 Nov 4, 2015

+1 They are fake

4. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2015

They gotta be fakes if they're called "deployment" clasps. ::facepalm2:: Everyone knows the real ones are "deployant" clasps.

nurseford25 likes this.
  5. yinzerniner Nov 4, 2015

I knew you'd put in a comment, although I'm surprised at the brevity.

But back to the OP's point, I don't think the seller is telling the truth about the whole "Authorized by Omega" part, but the clasps he sells might very well be the exact clones of the Omega parts. I don't believe Omega allows OEM manufacture outside of Switzerland, so a Chinese factory pumping out extras to sell on the side isn't possible. However maybe someone somehow procured the exact design schematics and were able to input them into a CNC machine or cast maker and thus can produce high-quality replicas.
    Unlike @wsfarrell the replica deploy clasps I've seen and used are a full order or magnitude worse than the geniune Omega parts. The finish is oftentimes very rough, the detailing and printing erratic, and the operation of the clasp is inexact. Considering the clasp is what keeps your expensive watch on your wrist, why not invest in a high-quality piece?

nurseford25 likes this.
  6. Syed117 Nov 4, 2015

I've noticed that eBay and other legitimate grey dealer prices for clasps are usually a lot higher than the actual msrp.

I picked up an 18mm deployment about a month ago at the Omega boutique on fifth Avenue. Model 94521813. It was $279. It little over $300 after tax.

EBay can be completely hit or miss. I would try boutiques and ADs first.

[​IMG]

nurseford25 likes this.
  7. alam Nov 4, 2015

I also have had my share of deployment dilemmas. This could be your lucky day and a solution to your dilemma may be just around the corner! https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-18mm-94521813-deploy-clasp.31217/ ;)

Edited Nov 5, 2015
  8. lillatroll Nov 4, 2015

Deplyoant is not even a word in any English dictionary. The term is French and is spelt Deplyoante. Deployment is commonly used in British English to describe this type of clasp system

9. Syed117 Nov 4, 2015

10. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2015

Deployment is commonly used in the military to describe shipping out overseas. The correct word for that clasp is d-e-p-l-o-y-a-n-t, the Americanized spelling of the French word. French is a language spoken in Switzerland, the capital of the watchmaking world. As a matter of fact, some of Switzerland where watches are made was originally French territory that was lost after Napoleon's defeat.

There are plenty of French words used in America every day. Voila, carte blanche, petite, a la carte, sans, blonde, brunette, cuisine, rouge, avante grade, chic, encore, matinee, gauche......

The correct term is deployant clasp - scroll down: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/terms.shtml

Here's some more fun for you: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/time-settle-once-all-deployant-vs-deployment-360266.html

Deployant roughly translates to "folding". Type "folding clasp" into Google translate (English to French) and you get "boucle déployante".

11. lillatroll Nov 5, 2015

There are many who swear blind that deployant is the correct word, even if it is not a word, it is not even a word found in American English dictionaries let alone British English , but I digress, the term deployment clasp is equally correct, or incorrect, dependending on how you want to see it.

12. alam Nov 5, 2015

Technically speaking, any unit movement from their assigned home station/base/post is considered a "deployment" - it does not necessarily has to be an overseas location. Units stationed in the US routinely "deploy" to other locations within the US, either for training or in support of contingency operations (e.g. disaster relief, think Katrina and alike)

ulackfocus likes this.
  13. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Nov 5, 2015

There is an answer to this. We should all start typing/saying 'déployante'.

Gives it a bit of je ne sais quoi after all......

Nobel Prize and destroid like this.
  14. destroid Nov 5, 2015

If only Omega engraved déployante on the clasp the debate would be settled. I don't think there is any argument about the Speedmaster TACHYMÈTRE bezel which is already helpfully labeled.

image.jpeg

Edited Nov 5, 2015
  15. bacaitlin Nov 5, 2015

16. Syed117 Nov 5, 2015

I pulled out an Omega instruction manual to see what it had to say.

French
    [​IMG]

English
    [​IMG]

I had no idea this was even a debate. I've never seen anything but deployment used anywhere, but the French word is clearly deployante.

Dictionary definition of deploy
    [​IMG]

I don't know what's right or what's wrong, but if the word deploy can be used to describe the opening up or spreading out of parts, I think deployment could technically work for this kind of clasp. Plus deployant is not a word in the English language

Maybe I'll just call it a clasp and not get into specific terminology.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 5, 2015

Only banned not blocked. ;) If on there it's a laugh to read @ulackfocus older posts and even funnier when they are still running years after and they are waiting for him to reply to a question..

18. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2015

:p It takes two to tango, and I definitely danced around quite a bit there. :D

Pffft, I could get on even if they banned all my regular IP address. You just need a program to rotate your IP. ;)

Besides, who says I don't still have a screen name or two over there? :whistling::cool:

19. nurseford25 Nov 5, 2015

So I'm gathering that the proper term is (at least in english speaking countries) foldover clasp? Making the argument over deployment/deployant a moot point unless of course you speak french then you call it a déployante. I'm glad all of this nonsense has finally been settled.

20. lillatroll Nov 5, 2015

How about watch thingy, that covers everything.

Nobel Prize and nurseford25 like this.