Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Oct 17, 2018

Greetings all,

Has anyone got a deployment clasp and strap setup on a vintage? I recently purchased a 168.015 Constellation without a strap and need to fit one. After wading through the first 10 pages of search results for 'deployant clasp', it seems that all of these are on modern Omegas. So, what I am trying to determine is:
    • Was this type of clasp ever offered on a vintage (let's say pre 1970) watch?
    • What exactly is the difference in the straps? Many pages indicate that the Omega clasps require a different strap. What is different about a strap for a deployant clasp and a 'normal' one?
    I am hoping that I can buy a modern clasp from the AD and then fit a strap on it. Anyone done this or know if it will work?

felsby likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 17, 2018

Deployant straps are different, but you should be able to find one narrow enough for some of the older watches. Omega has a varied selection.

3. ext1 Oct 17, 2018

There's a thinner old omega deployant type that is around, but I'm not sure when it was used before. I guess from the 90s, though. Not during the 70s.
    [​IMG]

People say the omega deployant straps are different mostly due to the hole placement required, because the clasps have 2 holes that fit into the straps and the straps must have that hole placement for it to fit the clasp.

I'm sure you can pull off a modern clasp+strap on a vintage piece (just need to check the lugs and work from there) but I highly doubt it will look good. Clasps are more a modern thing. I don't think it should be married with the vintage style very much.

4. Dan S Oct 17, 2018

If you like the function of a deployant clasp vs a tang buckle, you can always retrofit a generic butterfly style on any strap. It's pretty discreet and doesn't stand out like an Omega clasp. They are pretty convenient, and a little safer to put on and take off.

noelekal, marco, Samir and 3 others like this.
  5. snunez Oct 17, 2018

@dans, great suggestion. I'm still learning. Butterfly clasp fits the bill nicely.

6. Joe_A Oct 18, 2018

Deployant clasps also save wear and tear on the strap preventing a crease from forming where one bends the strap through the buckle. Using the butterfly clasp allows for a gentler bending action.

I especially like RHD deployants - RHD = Robert Hollister "Bob" Davis

http://www.mywatchmaker.net/

bama2141, Samir and felsby like this.
  7. KAP Oct 18, 2018

There are two typical deployant clasps, the butterfly and flip lock. The flip lock is longer and the butterfly is more bulky.

What I like about deployant clasps are that they are convenient and simple to use, extends the watch strap life by reducing wear (tang buckles stress the strap where it bends), and is secure (stays on your wrist if clasp opens up).

Many brands at various price points can be used with standard straps. You would want thin unpadded flat straps to use with many of those clasps. Thicker straps tend prevent some clasps from locking down well and may unexpectedly pop open.

The Omega flip deployant requires a specific style of strap (there's the Omega brand, but some other brands make these or you can get them custom made). This is because the tail end of the watch strap is not exposed and lays against the wrist. When using typical styles of deployants, the tail ends are exposed like with using a tang buckle. I think the Omega style gives a cleaner look.

Whichever brand of deployant you may chose for your watch, you would want a 16mm clasp and a tapered strap (18mm lug end width and 16mm clasp end). I think a modern clasp would astetically work well with your vintage Constellation. After all, not much of the clasp would be exposed and again, it would have a clean look. Just chose a vintage strap style.

Here's an image of an Omega strap that would be used with their deployant. A standard size length is 100mm at the 12 o'clock position and 105mm at the 6 o'clock.
    image_21231x19618.285x.image.jpg

Edited Oct 18, 2018
    MtV likes this.
  8. KAP Oct 18, 2018

For an example, here is an inexpensive Hadley Roma 16mm flip lock deployant used with a standard pigskin strap without a taper. It's on a 1945 Bulova watch which is small, having 16mm width between lugs. Flat pigskin straps were common for this period of watch. On this example, you can see that the tail end of the watch strap will be visible on the outside once the clasp is locked down.
    IMG_1708.JPG

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Fost Oct 18, 2018

I put a deployant on one of my ammo strap ... not that bad ... and quite confortable !
    D085248F-9938-42EA-8437-2174DB78630C.jpeg

noelekal, amcclell, Om3ga321 and 4 others like this.
  10. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Oct 18, 2018

sorry, I cannot see any kind of strap or buckle here, I'm mesmerized by the watch and especially the bezel :D

noelekal and Fost like this.
  11. Joe_A Oct 18, 2018

Here we have an RHD Rose gold IP deployant on a 1963 Memovox:

JPA-1963-Momovox-1.jpg JPA-1963-Momovox-2.jpg JLC-MV-RHD-3.jpg
  12. NT931 Oct 18, 2018

+1 for RHD deployants - they're comfortable and well made

13. lillatroll Oct 18, 2018

What about n27? I have one on my omega driver and one for my seamaster. Both from the late 60s early 70s. You will struggle to find one but with a bit of patience it's possible. If you have the clasp then you can get a strap made to order.This is the strap that I have on my seamaster.

n27 strap.jpg
    20180826_174653.jpg

OmegaGeneve likes this.
  14. paulw Oct 18, 2018

this just plopped through the letter box all the way from China - I wanted to try a deployment strap out of interest but didn't want to pay very much initially. Gold colour is very, well, golden! but the strap is nice and comfortable, butterfly clasp seems to hold very well for a cheap & cheerful eBay purchase - though it did take over three weeks to get here.
    WP_20181018_16_45_40_Pro (2).jpg WP_20181018_16_57_01_Pro.jpg WP_20181018_16_57_12_Pro (2).jpg WP_20181018_17_19_36_Pro (2).jpg

15. Dwarfcatcher Jan 19, 2021

I received one of these and it looks pretty good especially for the price, but it doesn't look very long although my watch is being polished so can't fit it ATM. Did you find it on the short side?

16. Lukasz Spolski Jun 26, 2021

Hi! I need such clasp in red gold (18mm). Anybody can help :)?

17. OmegaGeneve Dec 23, 2023

The only way if you insist on vintage and original, those cheap folding clap from china are ugly.

mac_omega likes this.