Forums Latest Members
  1. idodo Nov 22, 2017

Hello everyone
    I am so sorry that this - my first post - is asking for free advice.
    Having studied the forum I have been able to identify my watch which has been a terrific help - thank you!
    This watch has - I am ashamed to say - been stuck in a draw with no real idea that it was there for many years.
    It is clearly in poor condition & does not work.
    I would like to know if it would be better to have it put in working order before putting it on eBay or whether to sell it as is?- if work should be done - who would you recommend?
    Sorry that this is such a sad sight - I can only say - not guilty! I am in the UK.
    Thank you one & all.
    Max

IMG_2778.JPG IMG_2779.JPG IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2781.JPG
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 22, 2017

Movement looks to be in good shape and may need a clean and some oil (?)
    Ask a watch maker for a quote then you can start from there.

3. doog Nov 22, 2017

That’s a fine watch, solid 18k Dennison that’s seen a fair bit of life. Infinitely preferable to a watch that’s been in a display cabinet and never gained the scars of honourable service (imho at least). Repair/service or just list? Swings and roundabouts really, you probably won’t get back what you invest in servicing. I have to say though, if it were me, I’d get it off to Simon Freese or STS for some TLC and wear this lovely British cased piece of Swiss craftsmanship with great pleasure. You’d seriously struggle to find a better watch for the price of a service and recommissioning.

4. kkt Nov 22, 2017

There's potential for a desirable watch there. However if idodo has already determined to sell it, having it serviced first is probably not going to pay for itself. If it's sold in non-working condition, it'll be bought by someone who is a watchmaker, or who has a commercial relationship with a watchmaker who will probably charge a good deal less than STS.

Of course if it was my watch, I'd probably have the work done and keep it.

5. Canuck Nov 22, 2017

One thing nobody has mentioned thus far is RUST! Rusted winding wheels, rusted screws, rusted case clamps, rusted stem. A leak has caused that rust. Neglect has contributed to it. Probably lots of other parts badly worn. I would suggest that you repair it only if you plan to keep it. Whether you repair it, or offer it for sale as is, you will likely find offers hovering around scrap value. You will not recover the cost of the extensive repairs the watch needs. Properly and thoroughly serviced, replace crystal, crown, gasket, clean up the case a bit, do whatever else is necessary, and it has the potential to give you years of pleasure and good service.

If you do have it serviced, choose a shop carefully. And have them provide a detailed receipt of what they have done, state the terms of the warranty, and whether the warranty can be transferred to a new owner. And have them clean up the case, but not to polish it. And don’t send it to Omega!

(If the watch was mine, I wouldn’t dream of selling it!)

Sherbie and cristos71 like this.
  6. Sherbie Nov 23, 2017

Hallmark is 1961, which also ties into the two line "automatic chronometer" claim - these were normally 4 line, but between approx 1958-62 were just 2 lines

I have a dennison cased Seamaster from 1958, and there is a lot of gold in these cases - considerable more than the swiss gold cased equivalents.

If its a family piece, I'd keep it, get it serviced at STS, and put a nice leather strap on it

Omega make 18k gold constellations today - go into an Omega AD and ask for the price - then recall in horror. But i think your watch would have been something like £570 in 1961, which was a fair chunck of cash at that time too.

These were fantastic top of the line watches, when Omega's reputation was on a par, or maybe even greater than, Rolex

Nice watch

Cheers, paul

7. Sherbie Nov 23, 2017

Ps does the strap have the omega 18k buckle still? If so, these are rare, and so would also bring maybe 200£ on eBay

Also if yes, is this also hallmarked and dated?

8. Edward53 Nov 23, 2017

+1. It is a lovely watch and highly desirable! What a great heirloom to have, and the marking on the dial is not really a problem. STS are not cheap but the watch is worth it if it's to be a keeper. If it were mine and a family watch, I wouldn't dream of selling it but of course we all recognise that different people have different priorities.