Forums Latest Members

Demise of Rolex - from the view of a collector

1. Bp1000 May 25, 2019

Controversial post.

TRF if you are a member has really taken a turn for the worst. Just the other day a long serving member announced he was thinking of, if not going to retire from the Rolex forums.

I’ve been a member there since around 2013. A collector for quite some time and a watch enthusiast for 22+ years.

Omega and Rolex were my first loves. But since 2007 when the ceramic subs started to come in the direction Rolex has taken with over engineered borderline clinical watches has really ruined the brand for me.

To me, they seem to make watches at the expense of the intended purpose, tool watches, usable tool watches.

The Sd4k was the last good tool watch they made. A tapered lug, matte dial diver with no cyclops, a diver extension and a glide lock clasp. But it was a flop, because it was at least 3k more than the chunkier ceramic sub.

Usher in the “look at me and my watch” clientele and Rolex has become more of a “to be seen in” watch brand; not that this hasbnt been the case for a while now with the “I’ve hit the big time” yellow gold president bracelet day dates that became popular in the 80s... its just more so these days.

The shiny, chunky sunburst dial subs are attracting a different crowd, and it shows in AD wait lists, grey prices, scalpers and the used market.

To me it’s a real shame, Rolex and the Rolex forums seem to have lost a bit of its soul, judging by the topics that pop up there, “what piece shall I get next, what’s hotter BLNR or Hulk, shall I sell my omega, Tudor, JLC for a Daytona, where can I buy a batman, is this a fair grey price, can I wear my sub on the beach, is it safe to wear my Daytona in France”.

I personally still love the brand and it’s technical watches but the forums especially are not what they use to be.

I just wondered if anyone else shared this view?

The one positive in this is the silly wait times and elitetist management of AD wait lists has turned me onto other brands and given me a much greater appreciation of omega.

Ps I’m clearly not delusional, I understand Rolex in terms of sales and market share is in a better position than ever.

faapaa, Dedlock, Kmart and 31 others like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 25, 2019

I don't think your post is controversial...I doubt you're alone in your opinion. Everyone buys a particular watch for a reason, and although you may be right about the “look at me and my watch” clientele, I don't let that interfere with my decision to buy any watch. I really don't care why anyone buys a Rolex or any other brand. Buy the watch that sings to you and don't worry about what others think.

I think the long time member at TRF that recently expressed that he may be leaving the forum, is in very poor health, which as I understand is a big factor in his decision (as well as the frustration you expressed about the Rolex brand in general).

noelekal, watch3s, Waxtactic and 2 others like this.
  3. 77deluxe May 25, 2019

The new direction Rolex appears to be heading in is fine with me, it makes me appreciate vintage more. Most people don’t wear watches as tools anymore, so it is probably a rational business choice for them.

4. CJpickup57 May 25, 2019

I 100% agree with this statement. It has been said by many people about many things. In my opinion, if you’re buying things for the sake of what everyone else is doing or to impress anyone other than yourself, you have other issues. I’m not spending thousands of dollars for anyone else’s pleasure or attention. I work hard for what I have and for the hobbies I spend my time and money on. I’m not going to waste it on things that maybe someone will notice and say something.

I know what I like. I know what I have. I know if I’m happy or not. I don’t care for 99.9% of people’s opinions as it’s not their time and money spent on my hobbies. However, I respect other people’s opinions as that is how good discussions are had and possibly good friends can be made.

I haven’t met a Rolex yet that I liked enough to set aside money for. Maybe in the future they will make one and I look forward to that.

5. Linzer May 25, 2019

I've never been a member of TRF and quite possibly never will be but it sounds like fun " is it safe to wear my Daytona in France” :D
    And just because every thread needs pictures
    DSC08737.JPG

6. Faz May 25, 2019

::popcorn::

kkt likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 25, 2019

I think what they are doing is protecting their brand from ubiquity. Personally it’s off putting.

noelekal, watch3s, micampe and 2 others like this.
  8. Hoddspur May 25, 2019

Having recently purchased a Rolex 116710LN, I have become a fairly frequent observer (but not member) of TRF. It’s true to say that the occasional informative posts are now outnumbered by inane ones asking all sorts of silly questions like “do you think my Rolex looks big in this and how much is it going to be worth in 50 year’s from now?” Mind you, flouters of wealth are a funny lot and places like TRF are always going to provide an opportunity to make them feel better about themselves.

9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 25, 2019

A fair number of inane questions in this forum too. Not restricted to TRF. :thumbsup:

noelekal, watch3s, kkt and 9 others like this.
  10. Hoddspur May 25, 2019

Absolutely, must be a general watch-related thing then... :whistling::)

blufinz52 likes this.
  11. zrleopold May 25, 2019

Little late for that in my opinion.

kkt and Larry S like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 25, 2019

Was thinking the same thing. All those questions and threads and more are asked on this forum.

Info to TRF from tine to time. I can’t stand it, not because of the posts, but because of the actual cluttered and disorganized look of the forum itself. Besides, after a few years here it almost feels to me like having a conversation with familiar faces and personalities.

I’m sure that would happen anywhere if you stick around but for me this forum satisfies all my need for digital social interaction, and for that matter, watch interaction.

As for Rolex? Also a very tired argument. Rolex has been a status simple for years and, as such, been very much at the front of douche display.... but, just because I don’t buy a watch just because HODINKEE tells me it’s cool, I also don’t stay away from a watch because somebody else thinks is not. I have about 9 Rolex watches between vintage and modern and I love them. They’re well made and designed and actually less conspicuous than other brands I have. A DJ41 is extremely low key and as simple as an AT, in fact, size aside, the DJ line has been unchanged in design an intent for about half a century. How is that design now letting people down and a “change of brand” is a very weird thing to me.

A sub is simpler and less obtrusive than a PO, at 40mm and withba slim profile it really remains a classic. A no date ceramic sub is very very close to a 14060m whichbin turn is very close to a 5512 or 5513 in design and feel..... how is this a change that justifies stating the brand is now corrupted and no longer true to self? and explorer is not a watch that jumps off the wrist.

In other words, next to other brands Rolex has minimal changes in design in their flagship watches.... they’re really not changing much, it’s YOUR perception of the brand based on social influence that is changing.

The watches are just as great, are we?

if Bond goes back to Rolex will it become a cool manly tool watch again?

Ps. Yes, there are some hideous models at Rolex.... but so are there on any other brand including our beloved Omega.

Kmart, noelekal, NGO1 and 11 others like this.
  13. Gasman May 25, 2019

I am fed up with the forums trolls, and Rolex fanboys, who cannot stand any other brand.

faapaa and Alphasports like this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 25, 2019

Is that a general comment or are you specifically aiming that at this thread. Because I think as statements go that one is a bit off topic and a lot on you

txylee, blufinz52 and zrleopold like this.
  15. zrleopold May 25, 2019

I agree in that I don't really have a problem with the design of many of the lines. Yea they are a bit flashier than they were 50 years ago...but that applies to every brand. My main issue with Rolex is their restriction on the number of pieces they allocate, which has created astronomical prices. As a result the brand seems to attract the buyers looking for the next big thing or the newest release. Maybe I'm we wrong but I feel like the vast majority of their buyers wouldn't even know the difference between a quartz and a mechanical watch - their concern is simply whether Rolex is written on the dial.

Edited May 25, 2019
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 25, 2019

Yeah, that’s a real issue for sure. I’ve never been affected by it personally but there is definitely a huge counter reaction to the shortage of pieces. To me it’s their business so I’m not mad at them. How it affects them in the long run will speak for itself. Other notable brands have less production numbers than they do so maybe it’s just the demand is way higher than the supply.

I also agree with you on the second part of your statement. It also applies to other brands though. The majority of watch buyers for any brand around the world are not horologically drivenbut brand driven. This is why there’s so much money invested on marketing and product placement wether it’s Hamilton on movies, Omega and Bond and sports or Rolex and ... I guess financial success etc.

But if we do focus on it horologically and historically then Rolex, Omega and a few others stand tall still within the mid luxrury sports market.

zrleopold likes this.
  17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 25, 2019

Well said. Agree 100 percent!

18. zrleopold May 25, 2019

Yea I agree completely. The reason I enjoy this hobby is the history and the technology. Just disheartening to see so much of the industries time and money in this way. Of course I don't blame them - that's business.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 25, 2019

What we can hope for is that if 80% of resources go into commercial value and marketing and hype then maybe 20% still goes into the advancement of design, technology and brand. On THIS point I applaud Omega because it has a true three sided personality.

On one hand they have the unlimited limited editions, and the gimmicky event / movie models, and the sides of the moons and this and that

On the other they have some classic lines

And to their credit then, from time to time and more often than not they bring true bold advancements to their technology and production. The LM application, the coaxial application ( not theirs but certainly pushed by them) the antimagnetic, the double coated crystals, the ceramics....

It’s something I love about Omega, it appeals emotionally from a historical perspective, it amuses me on marketing and it makes me look forward to “what’s next” above most other brands.

Rolex, to return to topic, is a conservative slow moving brand by comparison. They are not stagnant, but definitely slower moving.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 25, 2019

I resent their “shortage” . It’s causing me to hesitate wearing my GMT master 2 despite it being fully insured.

Explorador and flw like this.