Forums Latest Members

Delivery Scope of Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005?

1. speedytoronto Apr 24, 2019

My first post and my first Omega purchase. Last night I picked up the Hesalite moonwatch from my local AD. It had been special ordered for me from Swatch Canada. I have seen several photos of the presentation case and included items, often the outer sleeve and box come in a brown corrugated brown box, and the medallion on the outside of the outer box and the medal within the presentation box are covered in plastic. My watch did not come with the outer brown box and neither the outer medallion nor the medal were covered in plastic. Is this normal? I ask because foolishly I did not inspect the watch carefully with a loupe in the store before or after they sized the bracelet. As soon as I got the watch home (didn't wear it home, left it in the box) I noticed a substantial scratch on the top right lug on the front and a minor scratch on the bracelet at the 11:30 position. I immediately called the dealer and the manager offered me two options: try to buff out the scratch or order a new watch for me. Needless to say I'm crushed by this situation as this is my first high end watch and a significant purchase for me. My heart tells me that I want a new watch, having a brand new watch that required buffing somehow makes the purchase not feel "right". What are the forums thoughts on what I should do? And what of the lack of plastic on the medallion/inner medal?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 24, 2019

Return it for a new watch. Don't think twice about it.

flw, ac106, alam and 7 others like this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 24, 2019

The lack of plastic would not bother me, and no matter how much care you take the watch will end up scratched. However, they will be your scratches and the first may hurt but after a few nicks any new ones will just add character. You may get them removed at its’ first service or you may chose not to.
    But they will be your scratches and if I bought brand new, I would like it to look brand new, for the first couple of days/weeks at least. Therefore in your position I would probably ask for a new one. An annoying frustrating wait but to me this would be the preferable option.
    Then again, I have not seen the scratches, and if they were very minor I might just let it go.

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 24, 2019

A new watch will not have a scratch on it. Return it and have them order a new one. You’ll be much happier.

5. Matty1 Apr 24, 2019

I wouldn't worry about the plastic on the medallion. I got my watch from an OB and they opened up the brand new box in front of me (the watch was in its Omega coffin as they don't ship the watches in the presentation box). the box didn't have any plastic protectors but still looked perfect. I suspect its just how they package things up - the boxes come from China.

6. Evitzee Apr 24, 2019

Have them order a new watch, it sounds like your watch was maybe in dealer stock somewhere and you can get nicks and scratches if it is in and out of a dealer's showcase no matter how careful they are. Plastics don't matter, they are often removed by dealers prior to sale. The outer cardboard box was never meant to be given to the buyer but in the last few years it has taken on some importance as part of the total package. If it was missing it wouldn't bother me.

I bought a Grand Seiko a couple of months ago from a Seiko Boutique and the white cardboard sleeve stated in Japanese and English that the dealer was to remove the sleeve before giving the box to the buyer. The sleeve was considered to be there just to protect the presentation box. I wanted it because it had the barcode sticker with the Ref number, the price and date it came into the Seiko system.

Edited Apr 24, 2019
  7. gostang9 Apr 24, 2019

+1

Missing plastic not an issue, but noticeable scratches in the case definitely a no-go. You did pay the AD premium after-all so should get a truly "new" watch.

mydeafcat and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Omegafanman Apr 24, 2019

Maybe not related but I think there is supposed to be some packing inside the box to keep the medallion from moving. I got mine from an AD and it was sent by carrier. There was no extra packing and the medallion had come loose in transit. Luckily for me it had not damaged anything but it is a hunk of metal to have 'on the move' inside the box.

9. Evitzee Apr 24, 2019

By chance I was looking at my medallion the other day, it took a bit of force to pry it out of the velour like opening. If it is properly in place it shouldn't be flying around. Perhaps it wasn't snapped in properly.

Omegafanman likes this.
  10. Omegafanman Apr 24, 2019

@Evitzee Yes - noted. Also it may have taken a knock in transit. I don't know the tolerance on the opening or medallion. As an aside the box should have an outside cover (picture of mine attached). I also think the box should have wheels - it is so bloody big :O)

P1140017 - Copy.JPG box wheels.jpg
    Owlsu likes this.
  11. rbob99 Apr 24, 2019

+2

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. Tigeranteater Apr 24, 2019

I agree. It would eat at my soul and bother me.

13. speedytoronto Apr 24, 2019

Thank you all. The dealer is ordering me a new watch. As others have said, it would eat my heart out if I lived with the scratch knowing I didn't put it there. I know I will put many a scratch and ding on it, but they will be MY scratches, and I'm ok with that, but I'm not ok with the feeling I had all night of disappointment (and embarrassment at my own stupidity for not inspect the watch super carefully. Lesson learned).

Regarding the comment on the plastic coffin, my watch did not come in one, it was already in the presentation box on it's pillow but fully covered in plastic on the bracelet, back of watch and crystal (hesalite). I had thought I'd get a plastic coffin as well, I'll ask about that tonight.

Here are the scratches:
    IMG-2946.JPG
    View attachment 750501

IMG-2945.JPG
  14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 24, 2019

That looks like a deep scratch on the lug. At least very noticeable in the photo. Glad you're getting a new watch. :thumbsup:

15. Matty1 Apr 24, 2019

You wouldn’t normally get the coffin.

Evitzee, Foo2rama and speedytoronto like this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 24, 2019

The crack in the crystal next to the '500' would also be a non-starter for me. Looks like someone banged that corner of the watch into something, both causing the scratch and cracking the crystal.

17. WatchShopping Apr 24, 2019

You just picked up a watch last night at a local AD and it already has scratches on it. I really don't think it's up for question whether you should get them to order another. You ABSOLUTELY should.

Also those scratches are in visible areas.

18. FlyingSnoopy Apr 24, 2019

Definitely get a new watch

19. speedytoronto Apr 24, 2019

I hadn’t even noticed the crack in the crystal and don’t want to open the case again until I get the replacement.

I really hope the Speedmaster isn’t overly scratch prone. It took me almost two years to notice a scratch on my skx007.

20. gostang9 Apr 24, 2019

The case isn’t very scratch prone, the hesalite definitely is. Get yourself a tube of Polywatch is you don’t have it already. Also, if you decide to change straps you will find it easy to put marks on the back of the lugs.