Forums Latest Members

Defect in Speedmaster 60th Anniversary?

1. richter Official ΩF thread drift measurer. Nov 23, 2018

Hi Guys,

I've had my 60th Anniversary Speedmaster LE for about a month now and I love it. Today I noticed a really odd thing. There's a line cutting across the shiny rehaut a little past the 20 minute marker. I swear I never noticed it the whole time until today. I'm not sure what it is... a crack, a scratch, that seemed to just spontaneously appear. Either that, or I'm just not as observant as I thought I was. Ideas? The hesalite crystal effect also makes it noticeable when I look at it from the side. Should I take it into the Swatch Group service center? I probably won't see it again for another month if I do but now that I've seen the defect, it's driving me crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

superfly likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 23, 2018

It's not a defect, it's the gap in the tension ring.

If it bothers you, get them to pop the crystal and align it directly under the six.

But then the Ω logo in the crystal would be slightly askew.

What would bother you the most.

;)

Check other copies at an AD or Boutique and if they aren't noticeable, get them to replace the crystal.

3. richter Official ΩF thread drift measurer. Nov 23, 2018

It's minor but I got a little bit freaked out since I hadn't noticed that line before. If people here tell me it's normal then I would just be inclined to leave it alone. I also magnified a photo I had taken the first week I had the watch and I think it was already there at the time. You can't see the line in the rehaut but you can see the change in the reflecting light.

[​IMG]

Edited Nov 23, 2018
    fskywalker and superfly like this.
  4. ext1 Nov 23, 2018

It's just how the tension ring is in terms of the physical structure. The ring by itself looks something like this separated from the crystal:
    [​IMG]
    Just relax and enjoy it...or else you might just find other things that bother you even more ;)

alam, LeonDeBayonne and superfly like this.
  5. richter Official ΩF thread drift measurer. Nov 23, 2018

Yeah. Good thing I haven't busted out my 10x loupe that I use for my fountain pens on my watch collection. :D

89-0 and superfly like this.
  6. djmusicman Nov 24, 2018

Yep, they are all like that.

You could always install part number 063PZ5078. It's closer to the original design (ie. the crystal that was used on the ck2915).

Prototypes of the 60th anniversary show the watch with it (the difference is the rehaut, the silver ring is larger) Compare this to your watch:

speedy 60th different rehaut.jpg speedy rehaut.jpg

Side by side:
    speedy 60th double.jpg

ck2915 original:
    speedy ck2915-1 nice.jpg

By the way, The rehaut on the original ck2915 cut through the "swiss made" text. So when they designed the 60th anniversary I guess they tried to fix this. They would have had a choice, either change the position of "swiss made" or change the rehaut design. For some reason they changed both.

Edited Nov 24, 2018
    Pun, ext1, fskywalker and 4 others like this.
  7. cholack Nov 24, 2018

You always learn something new.

Thanks for the education on the details of the rehaut

8. richter Official ΩF thread drift measurer. Nov 24, 2018

Wow That's fascinating. Thanks for the pictures. I wonder why Omega didn't go with the original rehaut and crystal? Is the new crystal cheaper to manufacture or technically superior in some way? Are they still making the old part just for servicing existing vintage watches, or did they just stockpile them before discontinuing?

9. M'Bob Nov 24, 2018

Looks great. How did you find out that the part would fit without incident?

10. LeonDeBayonne Nov 24, 2018

The old part is still being produced. I have had it put on a FOIS.

Plexi2.JPG

Om3ga321, richter, NyCSnEaK and 2 others like this.
  11. fskywalker Nov 25, 2018

Cool mod! :thumbsup:

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  12. alam Nov 25, 2018

@ext1 couple of more dumb questions.. is there a standard on how the ring is installed at the factory? i.e. always along the 20-minute marker? what's the relationship between the precise location of the gap and how the crystal is installed?

::popcorn::

13. ext1 Nov 25, 2018

I have to say...I'm the dumb one when it comes to that! xD I have no clue what kind of factory standards exist. Though I suspect perhaps the "if you can't see the flaw from 1 foot it's OK" standard might apply. The omega symbol on the hesalite is also always in all sorts of different orientations so I think there isn't a rule that the factory follows in terms of precise placement.

alam likes this.
  14. alam Nov 25, 2018

calling @Archer :)

ext1 likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 25, 2018

From Omega Work Instruction 14 - Quality Service Criteria CS:

"The armoured ring slot must be between 25 and 35 minutes."

And the related question everyone wants to know the answer to:

"The OMEGA logo does not have to have a special orientation for hesalite glass."

Personally I always align the logo, and don't worry about the slot.

Cheers, Al

ext1, djmusicman, alam and 1 other person like this.
  16. ATWG Nov 25, 2018

very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Is the material finish the same? One looks like it has more of chrome finish.

17. S.H. Nov 25, 2018

:eek:

I would not have guessed this. I can't stand a misaligned logo, I always try to align it, and also the slot but I feel it is secondary to the logo.

wsfarrell likes this.
  18. cholack Dec 1, 2018

I’m with @Archer . Al should be making the rules at Omega

BradleyHuff and drhex like this.