Forums Latest Members

DeepSea D-Blue has “surfaced”…

1. MTROIS Mar 22, 2020

Some of you may remember that I asked for members’ experience and insight about the Rolex Sea-dweller Deepsea D-Blue ref. no. 126660 a few months ago (see here).

Well, while waiting for Omega’s answer to the ultra deep diver challenge, I am now able to follow-up on this topic as I was recently able to add the D-Blue to my collection

As you already all knew, this is obviously not a slim dress watch by any stretch of the imagination. I will however say that it feels very comfortable on my 7 1/4” wrist and I got used to this piece surprisingly rapidly, at least based on the comments I had read it prior to me taking possession of it.

Despite the number of lines of text, the dial is for me the highlight of this watch... closely followed by the sense of quality and strength that this piece exudes.

It also feel great to go back to a fully brushed oyster bracelet after wearing the BLNR with PCLs, and while I can not compare this to the 116660, I will say that the bracelet is well sized and balanced so that the watch does not feel top-heavy. Again, a reminder of the purpose of this watch as a tool (and yes, for a “tool”!! :rolleyes:)

Joking aside, I really feel this piece is a cool piece in the long Rolex tradition of innovation as it celebrates James Cameron’ s DeepSea Challenge. ::love:: I guess this is an as funky a dial as they come for Rolex in the professional line of watches (although the current AirKing and some odd Daytona models such as the Leopard could come as a -deepsea- challenge to this assertion!).

Again, nobody needs to point out that I will never be able to even come close to more than 1% of the watch’s capabilities (that is unless I am tragically lost at sea some day...), but I feel great wearing this cool piece on weekends while thinking about the kind of amazing stuff that we, humans, can sometimes achieve.

At the end of the day, I encourage anybody with a wrist size above 7” who is on the fence to try it on and make up their own mind. It is much more svelte than one would anticipate. :thumbsup:

Without further ado, here she is (apologies for my poor photo skills... she is also pretty tough to snap due to the light reflexions):
    748DD436-EF10-47BA-A807-CAF479BE7E69.jpeg

38C06D67-17A6-42A5-B1F1-4CA4B2BFB364.jpeg
    85FD98D0-49B4-4C63-9AD8-F0245CEFF317.jpeg
    53158EE9-09C7-4874-84DC-6B98F2D4C573.jpeg

Edited Mar 23, 2020
    flw, Ricbo2010, larryganz and 11 others like this.
  2. Evitzee Mar 22, 2020

Very nice. That is a real tool watch. I would get no deeper than 0.1% of the depth rating.

Kmart, MTROIS, Lonestar and 1 other person like this.
  3. stevec14 Mar 23, 2020

That’s a great looking watch. Irrespective if you would use it for 0.1% of its capabilities, it’s nice to know you could....

congrats

MTROIS and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. Lazy_Lightning Mar 23, 2020

I have the 116660 and wear it on a 7 1/8" wrist. I love the dial, but wish I had the wider bracelet.

The Glidelock system on the bracelet is nothing short of genius.

IMG_2708.jpg
    Edited Mar 23, 2020
    blubarb and MTROIS like this.
  5. Jeeper Mar 23, 2020

Mtrios,

It looks stunning, I had tried to buy one for the last 2 years & could not even get on a list as it was 20 years since my last Rolex purchase. I would not consider black dial, just loved Deep Blue. With money burning hole in my pocket I ended up buying a Ploprof 1200 Ti, another watch I loved the look of, but a very different proposition with regards to long term loss. Enjoy your beautiful new piece of exquisite horological engineering.

Jeeper

MTROIS likes this.
  6. jankymutt Apr 14, 2020

Wow, the 116660 is beautiful! Too bad my 6.5" wrists wouldn't be able to handle it! :)

7. Chye Apr 14, 2020

Congrats! The D-Blue, with its dark blue to black dial and green Deepsea lettering, has always intrigued me. But I worry about its supposed heft. I supposed this is the 2018 version? Did you have the opportunity to compare it against the 2014 version?

Chye

8. larryganz The cable guy Apr 15, 2020

Been waiting since July 2019 for my AD to get me one at MSRP. Only been through one price increase while waiting. Sigh...

9. MTROIS Apr 15, 2020

@Chye , yes, this is the 126660 newer version from 2018. I never had the opportunity to compare this version to the previous 116660 version, so, I can only go by what I have read online: the slight redesign of the lugs and bracelet sizes has apparently helped making this watch less “top heavy” and more comfortable than the 2014 version. Again, I cannot compare the two, but I can confirm that this watch is very comfortable, surprisingly comfortable actually. I really love it, and not just because I have it (I would have no qualms to admit it if it didn’t meet my expectations).
    I will also admit that I really wanted to get the updated movement as I wanted the longer power reserve to be able to include this in my rotation of watches.

The dial is just mesmerizing, and as much as I always disliked the “Original gas escape valve / Ring lock system” engraving on the rehaut when looking at pics, in real life, I never really notice them.

Chye likes this.
  10. MTROIS Apr 15, 2020

@larryganz , hang on tight... I am sure you will secure one eventually!!! :thumbsup:

larryganz likes this.
  11. MTROIS Apr 15, 2020

Thank you @Jeeper !! The ploprof is certainly another impressive piece of mechanical technology!! Congratulations on that purchase!
    I will just say that in terms of building a relationship with an AD, it is really not about simply spending $$$... if it is a decent retailer!! Of course that can help (and will not hurt), but building a good human relationship is paramount, and I am sure that the DSSD which is somewhat less in demand than the super hot Daytona or GMTs should be a bit easier to score.
    Enjoy the Omega though, beautiful piece in its own rights (we need diversity anyway!!). :thumbsup:

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 15, 2020

MTROIS likes this.
  13. MTROIS Apr 15, 2020

Looking forward to Omega’s regular production release of the Ultra Deep!!! ;)

mr_yossarian and SpeedyPhill like this.
  14. mr_yossarian Apr 15, 2020

The PO UDP makes the DSD look like a cute cufflink :)

15. larryganz The cable guy Apr 15, 2020

Thanks. In January I turned down a used 3-month old one from a serial flipper that I was unhappy with, because my AD assured me I'd get one for a bit less from him by the end of Spring. That was before CoVid-19.

It's not a life threatening situation, so I can afford to be patient and keep my relationship with my AD intact plus have my name on the warranty card.

NGO1 and MTROIS like this.
  16. duc Apr 15, 2020

There is one listed on watchnet that is only marginally above MSRP (and originally sold in 2020). I was a little surprised to see the price.

17. larryganz The cable guy Apr 15, 2020

Thanks, but I think I want to deal with my AD at this time. I am very wary now when dealing with anyone else except Serge (Chitownwatch.com) or DavidSW who have treated me well.

Last summer another frequent serial watch flipper source was selling me a 1 month old Deep Blue at a fair price, but he basically agreed to sell it to me before he had it from his source and he didn't tell me. So, when it arrived to him, the box and accessories were damaged and he refused it. Then he pushed me to get an SD43 that he had on hand, with the promise that when he got me the Deep Blue he'd trade me even D-Blue for SD43, if I paid shipping both ways. I agreed.

6 months later in January he gets the Deep Blue for me, and he was only asking $500 cash more for it than I paid for the SD43. But the trade he'd offered me previously, to just pay the shipping both ways, was taken off the table.

Instead of me paying to ship each watch to each other, he wanted me to send him the SD43 + $3000. I said F*#k No, maybe I'll pay the $500 more you are asking + shipping both ways as we'd agreed, but that is all. He declined, so now he's dead to me. I would feel better dealing with someone I know and have dealt with, who has treated me right and that I trust.

duc and MTROIS like this.
  18. MTROIS Apr 15, 2020

Excuse my French, but that is indeed shitty!!! A deal is a deal. :mad:
    No wonder you are hesitant to anything else. It is just not worth it. And yes, Sergey, is a great seller!

larryganz likes this.
  19. Chye Apr 15, 2020

Great! Now if I only I can find one to try on....

20. Jack1994 Apr 15, 2020

I love my DSSD D Blue. I've had POs with the Helium Escape Valve, but the DSSD wears much better, and the revised lugs and brushed oyster bracelet are proportional.