Forums Latest Members

Dedicated Thread to the Modern Ploprof

1. jsalasrush Feb 28, 2017

After trying one on at the local OB, this has been added to my wish list.

There's not really much reviews for them. The watch seems to truly be a niche market piece.

Would love for owners to share their experience.

Should I do titanium, steel, two tone?

Which one did you chose and how's it been working out. (Pictures pictures pictures)

deryk527 likes this.
  2. w.finkenstaedt Feb 28, 2017

Titanium has much better finish to my eye. Really love the sandblasted Ti dial/grey bezel combination.

The titanium makes a very hefty watch very wearable on a daily basis.

Linzer and jsalasrush like this.
  3. Poppydog Mar 2, 2017

On my wish list too, but struggle a bit with the notion of the cost, especially the Ti version (which is a 'no' for me anyway because of the glass back) so am on the look-out for a gently used or NOS that an AD is trying to shift.

4. Nicherotors Mar 2, 2017

I doubt too many folks would choose a Ploprof as their one and only watch.

Having already cherry picked my favourites from the Speedmaster, Constellation, DeVille and Museum collections I became aware that I was missing a Seamaster. I also wanted something blue to wear with a summer wardrobe of casual clothes.

Then, at the beginning at BaselWorld 2015 the new crop of titanium Ploprof's were launched and I was immediately attracted to the blue and Sedna gold version.

I like watches with a history/ story behind them - probably why I have a few Speedmasters. I found the association with Jacques Cousteau interesting and the pictures of Angelli wearing his on the outside of his cuff had already got me interested in the steel versions for some time. Interestingly enough, only a minor point I know, but the date window in the steel versions was a mild nuisance. I kept asking myself if I would really need to know the date if I went deep sea diving.

So, I felt lucky when I read the news that the latest version was going to be lighter and would not have the date window. The fact it was going to be a Master Chronometer really grabbed my interest.

I immediately asked my local OB to get the blue and gold version so I could have first refusal. They agreed on a non committal basis.

Nearly 18 months later it finally arrived - of course by then I'd saved the funds and convinced myself that this was my next purchase.

When in my hand it surpassed all expectations. It really is an optical illusion that a watch so large can be as light as it is.

The lighter weight really does allow you to forget it's on your arm until it either tugs on a sleeve or catches your eye for being so much bigger than what you normally wear.

Some watches with large crowns can dig into the back of your wrist - not so with the Ploprof which has it placed at 9 o'clock. In fact the underside of the watch at 3 o'clock is very smooth so there really is no discomfort from wearing what is such a clunky design.

The deployant is more complicated than anything else I have - suffice to say that even when the rubber strap has been cut down to fit my wrist it is most easy to expand it a bit to fit on the outside of the cuff; or diving suit as appropriate.

In fact I've found this Ploprof to be a perfect companion on those 'difficult' days in the office when I need to remind myself that neither one of us will crack under immense pressure.

From day one I've adjusted the rotating bezel to my luckiest number on the roulette wheel, number 23 (but that's another story) - another reason why this watch has created more interest than many of my other pieces - it looks different on many levels.

So far, after a few months I'm really enjoying the watch and find myself still drawn to the 2016 models - especially the orange one.

In fact, for those with a sharp eye you will notice that the minute hand on the blue and gold model comes in gold - I had this replaced with a standard orange minute hand as per the original design.

It really has crept into my list of top four watches. As much as I like owning and wearing it, Omega have such a vast collection of others that it would be unfair to say it is my all time favourite - but it certainly deserves to be close to the top.

Still quite good juvenile fun, in a Top Trumps kind of way, when talking to another enthusiast to ask how deep their diving watch can go - 4,000 feet is so clearly more than is ever needed when nuclear submarines don't go beyond 2,000 feet. However, for me Omega made it because they can and I bought it because I could. And that makes me a customer who feels very lucky.

I know at heart it is Seamaster - but at home we call it a Sea Monster - it overachieves in such a grand way that it has no peers.

IMG_4063.JPG IMG_6576.JPG IMG_6890.JPG
    Edited Nov 10, 2018
  5. CrisROSE Mar 2, 2017

The Ploprof was a watch I didn't expect to like. I read more about it, and looked at it more and it grew on me quickly.

The vintage models are wonderful, a great example of risk taking design, but the modern ones are quite special in themselves; if not only for the fact that confidence in their uniqueness was strong enough to fund their production.

For me, the Titanium version with ceramic bezel is the ideal modern Ploprof for one reason - it's what they would have used in the original if they'd been able to. Just like the Dark Side of the Moon Speedmasters redevelop the original using the best of today's technology. For steel, I'd look for a vintage one as it's what they had then.

I would love to, some day, add a Titanium Ploprof with the white face, electric blue bezel and mesh strap. It's bold, brave and unique amongst current dive watch offerings. But it would not be my only, second or even third watch as it's just so.... weird!

Omega-Seamaster-PloProf-1200M-Electric-Blue-Perpetuelle-726x1000.jpg

Today, this watch is for peacocking rather than pure tool - it demands attention, and will receive it. It's for the eccentric and be lost on many -but you know what? There are days when that's exactly me.

EatMan and Nicherotors like this.
  6. CrisROSE Mar 2, 2017

Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200m-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-Titanium-3.jpg

Such an interesting mix of shapes and textures - love it.

7. Nicherotors Mar 2, 2017

Lovely - I know some folks don't like the clear back but it obviously hasn't compromised the integrity of the design. Also, the sapphire glass is flush so it doesn't add any height to the watch.

IMG_4077.JPG
    Edited Mar 2, 2017
  8. Linzer Mar 2, 2017

I tried a titanium version on in a boutique and couldn't believe that it felt lighter than my 45.5mm PO. On the wish list.

9. Poppydog Mar 2, 2017

I think it's developed from a genuine tool watch to a piece of jewellery in it's newest form.

10. w.finkenstaedt Mar 2, 2017

I would disagree very strongly with that. The new ones are more functional as tool watches than any previous version.

11. Poppydog Mar 2, 2017

Sure, I know others may disagree. I just really hate glass backs, which imo have no actual function.

12. w.finkenstaedt Mar 3, 2017

They don't make it less of a tool watch. Regardless, they are more durable and more accurate than ever. The fact that they are finished better is a byproduct of the modern manufacturing techniques that Omega has at their disposal.

13. Superdoc Mar 3, 2017

I have to say... I love mine..
    but Titanium is much too light...

DSC00680.JPG

I especially love the lume on the white one...

DSC00738.JPG

and here's a pic just for @M'Bob and @TMas ;)
    DSC05660e.jpg ... (and maybe for @meganfox17 )

Edited Mar 3, 2017
    Robbla, Desibaba and Nicherotors like this.
  14. Nicherotors Mar 3, 2017

Thanks @Superdoc for coming by.

Why can't I 'like' specific photos within a post rather than the whole post?::stirthepot::

Honestly, that lume shot wins hands down.

Robbla likes this.