Forums Latest Members
  1. michaelda Apr 18, 2017

I'm new here, don't usually ask for help just muddle my way thru. We bought a lot of estate jewelry over the years, and accumulated watches in those lots that were thrown in a box, not even looked at. I opened the box last month and was immediately overwhelmed. All other problems aside, I found this Omega Seamaster 300 and started looking up what was online. I couldn't open it, wouldn't try, so took it to my local jeweler who said it was genuine, a little rust and dirt, it needs to be serviced. Hmm, I thought he would say to throw it away and start over.

More looking online and seeing more problems with frankens, reconstructs with mismatched parts etc. I wonder if this watch con be fully restored in original condition. One part of me says sell as is and don't worry about it, but - logic says there can be a beautiful restored watch here for ? a few hundred for parts and a few hundred for service.
    Even selling low it would be well worth it, But is it? I guess I need some words of wisdom. What I have read here the last few days tells me you guys really know.

Omega Automatic SM300 165.024 about 1966 reading the inside numbers (see pics), 44m case 20mm lugs.

Reading a blog on Seamaster 300, this watch hits all the major and minor points exhibited in the article : Reference number inside case, 17 Jewels; @1966-68 production number 27116642 and 550 movement number; original Triangle dial; Baton hands; Bezel; Crown; Case and Back. Check the pictures for yourself. Thanks for any replies:

P1020112.jpg P1020150.jpg P1020155.jpg P1020109.jpg
    propervinyl and Etp095 like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 18, 2017

Not sure what you mean by 'fully restored'... Clean it up, service the movement, and don't replace anything important (i.e., hands, dial, bezel, etc.) if you want it to keep it's value.

If you want it to be like new, send it to Omega and they will replace all of the parts that make it valuable, but it will look much newer.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 18, 2017

Sell it as is on eBay in a no reserve auction, using lots of good well lit and clear photos.

OMGRLX, Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 18, 2017

You have a very nice SM300, with a BT dial and what appears to be an original bracelet. By having it serviced you risk parts breaking, being replaced, etc. My recommendation would be to sell As-Is. The target buyers for this watch would more than likely want to have full control of the servicing and know what its worth. My 2c.

OMGRLX, Kmart and Foo2rama like this.
  5. michaelda Apr 18, 2017

Thanks for the replies. When I wrote, my mindset was thnking of making it look like new again. I realize now that it already has a personality, so it hopefully can be fixed but not refaced or anything radical.
    When I was writing a draft submitting to Ebay, I got a message telling me to be very careful with submitting a fake watch for auction. I'm already gunshy because I had an auction pulled last week. My own naivete. So now, I check things out a lot more carefully. Alas, in this arena I'm not even a novice so its like spinning my wheels to you guys. It will take a few weeks or months, but the majority of my collection will be gone, and so will I, moved on to other subjects. Meanwhile you are still here helping/guiding the wandering masses. A lot of respect for that to you.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 18, 2017

If you don't mind me asking, what country/ city are you located at? You might find there are some knowledgeable members nearby who are willing to help you assess your watches and better advise.

7. brunik Apr 18, 2017

It's a great watch... service it and keep it as it is...

Syrte and OMGRLX like this.
  8. Oku Apr 18, 2017

yes, a great watch. But don't touch it. Even don't service it! If I would by it, I would prefer to buy it unserviced and get it serviced by my preferred watchmaker. There are so many dilettante watchmakers around...

marco, KstateSkier, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  9. Edward53 Apr 19, 2017

As the others said, don't do ANYTHING because whatever you do will be a net loss, even if it's only servicing the movement. It's in exactly the untouched sleepy condition that many collectors love to find so that they can make their own decisions on what to do with it. They would much rather have their preferred watchmaker work on it than yours who they don't know. Basically, anything you do reduces their options and costs you money you won't get back. So just sell it as is.

marco and OMGRLX like this.
  10. Sculler22 Apr 19, 2017

This is very similar to finding a previously unknown painting, by a well-known artist, that is in a state of disrepair. Buyers prefer originality, and a serious buyer will have a particular restorer in mind. Good luck in your decision process.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 19, 2017

Hi there, I've edited this post as it seems I may have misunderstood the initial query.

For a watch like this I would just service it, keep it and use it.

OP, first of all, is it running or not when you put it on your wrist and start moving it gently a few times? It's an automatic watch, the motion should wind it and get it started.
    And then if you love it you should have the movement serviced by an independent professional watchmaker so that you can use it regularly otherwise sell as is.
    As others have said you should change nothing to it.
    You should not allow the case to be polished or buffed as the machine would remove the sharp edges of the case, you should not allow the dial and hands to be touched.
    If you keep it, servicing could cost between 200-400 USD or euros or equivalent depending what country you live in. You should not send it to Omega as they would remove original parts which make it valuable as a collectable antique.

Edited Apr 20, 2017
    marco likes this.