Forums Latest Members

Decision Making Help: OMEGA PO 42mm VS Speedy Sapphire !!!

1. ohmzx Oct 19, 2016

Hi omegaforum,

I have been trying to make another decision for my every day watch. I nailed down to Planet ocean 42 mm with orange numbers or Speedy sapphire glass. I'm leaning toward PO beacuase it has date on the dial and automatic but see lots of people in this forum love Speedy with hesalite actually.

Please help vote and give me some reasons why?

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG
    Omeg@007 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 19, 2016

2 completely different watches. How do you plan to wear them?

3. Perseus Oct 19, 2016

I own a 2500D PO and a sapphire Speedy and I love them both, but the Seamaster 300 has displaced the PO and needs to be sold. If I could only own two watches it would be the Speedy and a Seamaster 300. If I could only own one...I think I'd lean toward the Speedy because it's so unique. Dive watches are a dime a dozen but a manually wound chronograph with iconic styling and amazing history is so hard to beat.

Ree, ohmzx and Jwit like this.
  4. ohmzx Oct 19, 2016

I want to wear them every day to work and keep the CK for a dress watch.

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. ohmzx Oct 19, 2016

Thanks One vote for Speedy! Noted.

6. Hkolka Oct 19, 2016

Just from an aesthetic perspective I would (and personally have) go with the speedy pro. If you're wearing it every day to work, in my opinion the speedy has a more timeless and classy aesthetic. Like Perseus said, dive watches are dime a dozen and more of a casual sport watch, again just my two cents.

ahartfie, ohmzx and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Kofosu Oct 19, 2016

I met a gentleman with that exact planet ocean. I was struck by its uniqueness. Go with your gut. Or simply get both over time.

Wools and ohmzx like this.
  8. Ree Oct 19, 2016

Wools, ohmzx and Perseus like this.
  9. kurtj29 Oct 19, 2016

Come on - just buy both and be done with it!!! They are both great watches and you are getting them for the same price as a Rolex GMT.

ohmzx likes this.
  10. SmokyT Oct 19, 2016

If it is going to be one of your "everyday watches" but not really for specific occasions or purposes, I would vote for the 42mm PO with orange numbers for the same reasons you have already stated, plus a few additional reasons.

I own the exact same model pictured, and it has become my primary "everyday go-to watch" for work, after work, and weekends. It is very easy to read, and has higher water resistance, so you won't have to worry about it when washing your hands, washing your car, washing dishes, and washing the watch itself. I also use the rotating bezel often to measure time while cooking, etc. (where precise timing is not required). So my vote is for the simplicity and geneal utilities of the PO, which I think an "everyday watch" should offer.

That said, Speedmaster (along with a couple of other watches) is on my radar right now because I already have the PO, and also because Speedy is unique and so cool. ;)

Edited Oct 20, 2016
    Wools, Speedmasterfan88 and ohmzx like this.
  11. EatMan Oct 19, 2016

Possible answers:
    1. Speedy. It's iconic. History!
    2. PO. Versatile and popular diver. Perfect everyday watch.
    3 get both!
    4 get neither. Daytona over speedy. Sub over Omega. 300 over PO. What about xSOTM?
    5. Another one vs two thread?!? ::facepalm2::
    6. Get what you like. Who cares what others think?

I expect #1 to get the most vote here as there are a lot of Speedy homers here. (Guilty!)

I say get what you like the best. With that said, I think a versatile watch collection (to wear, not just display) should have a dress(y) watch, a diver, and a chrono. And you add from there. Your "CK2998" covers both dressy and chrono.
    What's missing is a diver (I'm assuming you don't have one) so I would get a diver.

I have a feeling, though, that given enough time, you will end up with both. This forum is evil that way. :p

ohmzx likes this.
  12. ohmzx Oct 19, 2016

OR Maybe I just get 1 GMT? lol. Been looking at it too!!!

So far voting for PO is winning. Thanks.

13. ohmzx Oct 19, 2016

Totally agree... I kinda feel like, if I get one I will have to get another later.

14. Perseus Oct 19, 2016

If you already have a Speedmaster get a Seamaster!

ohmzx likes this.
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 19, 2016

The classic speedy with sapphire just doesn't give the same vibe as the hesalite.

Before I bought the ck2998 I would have stood by my position that no Speedmaster should be under a sapphire crystal. So I will adjust it to no classic speedy should be under a sapphire crystal.

The planet ocean is awesome, but I prefer the modern Ploprof.

It's not which one, it's when do I add to my collection. PO now.

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. japester79 Oct 20, 2016

Both!

17. japester79 Oct 20, 2016

That's what I did! But if you already have a CK then I'd be tempted to get the PO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ohmzx, SmokyT and Ree like this.
  18. ohmzx Oct 20, 2016

Thanks all! PO wins this round.

SmokyT, ahartfie and sydneywatchguy like this.
  19. sydneywatchguy Oct 20, 2016

Yep good choice. Great all round piece.

ohmzx likes this.
  20. ohmzx Oct 20, 2016

We have the same taste at least. I will buy it in a week or so. Thanks all.!!

japester79 likes this.