Forums Latest Members
  1. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I wanted member's input on a topic I've been puzzling lately... deciding to sell a piece. A grail of mine has popped up lately and in the interest of making this hobby semi self-funding I would need to let pieces go to make the purchase.

When going through this process, how do you decide what to let go? Watches that you haven't worn in a while, or that have seen a spike in value, etc?

Thanks for the input, Andrew

2. abrod520 Apr 11, 2017

Narrow the list to the watches you're considering selling, then leave them in a drawer or somewhere out of sight for a few weeks. If you don't miss it on your wrist, you probably won't miss it if you sell it.

George.A, Jwit and watchknut like this.
  3. marcuscarcus Apr 11, 2017

which watch don't you wear? Sell that one.

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 11, 2017

watches can be sold? A concept I'd never considered.... very interesting.

I just can't figure out why you would want to do such a thing.

5. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

Unfortunately, I don't have a few weeks available to wait but I like the suggestion. That will be useful down the road.

6. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

Haha, I know. Almost criminal.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 11, 2017

My OF sensei is trying to train me in the ways of selling. Slowly the message is sinking in. I think one thing you need to do is just know that you may or may not recover what you paid and be OK with that. Sell what you don't wear.

Jwit likes this.
  8. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

I've done pretty well with my purchases so far, but agree on the price sentiment. This is a hobby, not trying to make a bunch of money.

On a side note, asking here about selling kinda feels like asking a junkie about going to rehab.

OMGRLX and Larry S like this.
  9. Lukeeesteve Apr 11, 2017

If you posts pics of the candidates, we can help you decide. :D

10. alam Apr 11, 2017

Send me all your watches, those you miss the least will be your first candidates to sell.

Jwit, OMGRLX and Taddyangle like this.
  11. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

I deliberately avoided doing that so I couldn't be accused of trying to backdoor a sale before my 200 post limit, lol

Spacefruit, Jwit, lando and 7 others like this.
  12. Rumar89 Apr 11, 2017

Haha, I like what you did there. Need my SSN and bank account number too?

OMGRLX and Lukeeesteve like this.
  13. alam Apr 11, 2017

Naaa, my service is free of charge the first time! :D

14. WatchVaultNYC Apr 11, 2017

I've been waiting for the correct thread to post my thoughts on this.

Recently, I came to the realization that I had more watches than pairs of pants. I also realized that I was the type of collector that really did not want to "accumulate". I was the type that wanted to "wear", and wear regularly. So the rest of my collection I decided, I would let go. What's staying are 2 sentimentals that mark significant events in my life (Speedy Pro 3592.50 and AT 2500 2504.80), and a few to cover most of the social situations I find myself in - Big Case Breitling Chronomat, a WG 1803 Day Date, and maybe a 36mm Railmaster and a vintage SM300.

It is very sad letting go of nice pieces, especially those admired by fellow WIS, but also at the same time very liberating to be able to just.. let go

Jwit, shaun hk, cubizmo and 3 others like this.
  15. alam Apr 11, 2017

g-boac, Impondering, Jwit and 15 others like this.
  16. cvera Apr 11, 2017

I'd sell the common ones that sell quick and are readily available(sea master, speedmaster, planet ocean, etc) here or WatchRecon or etc. That way if you really regret your sale, you can just buy another one down the road without much difficulty.

The less common ones I would keep, because it'll take longer to rebuy if you sell and regret it.

17. wsfarrell Apr 11, 2017

Excellent point.

propervinyl likes this.
  18. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Apr 12, 2017

Rebuy at current market price, maybe not same price as before.

Edited Apr 12, 2017
  19. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 12, 2017

I have all of my watches stored in a remote bank safe, except some of them that are now out, per rotation. The rotation period is undefined, simply when I want to wear something else or if I go to the bank for any reason. When I notice watches I didn't pick up to wear however all others did rotate a couple of times, it's a clear sign for me those can now go for a new home with no regrets :)

LiquidSolid and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  20. tyrantlizardrex Apr 12, 2017

My methodology is:

They're just things, and unless there is a truly sentimental reason to keep them, I'm prepared to let them go if the need for funds (for anything) is greater than the need for watches.

When I need to free up some cash, I tend to start thinking about which watch(es) I'd miss the least - you quite quickly end up with a few that ultimately you're willing to part with.

I'm going through this exercise now... maybe 5 could go.

Jwit, shaun hk, M.C.B1974 and 3 others like this.