Forums Latest Members

Decided to get my first Omega - complete newbie

1. Volatyle Sep 6, 2020

Hey everyone,

So - a while ago I decided to get an Omega Seamaster - long story short, after getting it I reckoned it looked too small on my wrist, and even though i absolutely love the looks of it - I ended up never wearing it because of it's size (I know vintage watches are smaller, but to each his own I guess)

Since I still love Omega, and love their style I started searching for a watch "similar" in looks and style and I've now ended up aiming for a Omega Prestige Deville (new, or used)

I am specifically looking at the one named:
    [​IMG]

Buying this watch, completely new - in store in Sweden is around 3800USD. A bit steep - I'd pay it, but I also don't mind shaving some of that off, and I've always said my budget for a really nice watch is 2500USD.

So, started looking into used ones. And here's where I get a little bit lost and thought I'd ask the forum. I've found models from like 2013 (so, 7 years old) with basically the same price tag, hey - I've even found that specific model number, used, couple of years old - at a much higher price than brand new from store. What's going on here, what am I missing?

I may sound super dorky asking this, as you probably know exactly why :) But, I honestly don't get the price level on some of the used watches.

Apart from price, anything I _have_ to know, as a complete newbie about this watch specifically?

Thanks in beforehand, love this forum! Not very active myself, but I read through it daily :)

Vol

Edited Sep 6, 2020
  2. Alfista88 Sep 6, 2020

Hi Vol. I also share the bemusement you're observing around the pre-owned prices. Prices in the grey market have skyrocketed over the last 2-3 years. When I see some FS ads on used Seamasters and Speedmasters, the current asking prices for 2-5 year old watches exceed what the grey-market prices were for those same exact models BNIB just a year or 2 ago.

The Speedmaster Pro is a great example of this. I purchased my BNIB, with AD-stamped warranty, from a grey dealer back in November 2017 for 3,300 USD. Now, it's not uncommon to find used models from 2017 selling for 3,600+. Coincidentally, my Speedmaster was originally sourced from a Swedish AD per its warranty card.

I think it's a good buying opportunity to buy that directly from your local AD. As you've found from your search for pre-owned examples of that model, it'll only go up in price (like everything else these days :(). Considering how grey market sellers facilitate market liquidity, a grey will eventually buy that off your AD if they sense there's an arbitrage opportunity to sell it themselves for more than what the AD is offering to the general public.

Could you try to negotiate down to 3400 or 3500 USD? Omega has gone up market over this past decade+, and you'll find very little still available in that 2,500 price range. On the plus side, at least dress collections are not in-demand in most countries, and it's still possible to get 30% off DeVille's in AD's across the U.S. Long gone are the days where we can easily find Speedmaster or Seamasters for 35-40% off MSRP (I think I bought my 2254 for 37% discount back in 2006). But I do think you've have some healthy negotiating margin if you decide to purchase locally from an AD. Especially with that watch running on a movement based on the 2500 series, a full generation behind Omega's 8xxx introduced over this past decade.

Best of luck in your search! I really like the curvature of both the case side, and the lug design on that watch. Plus, I bet the caseback is ultra comfortable, with the way that chronos globe medallion is recessed into the caseback. Unlike the protruding hippocampus of the hesalite Speedy, the medallion on this Deville won't eat into your wrist and leave a red scar after a day's wear. I hope you find one at or near your price target!

I'm not a fan of Tim Mosso's videos for WatchBox (they're just long sales pitches, rather than reviews), but I see he does have a video about this particular model, in that exact colorway.

Volatyle likes this.
  3. Walrus Sep 6, 2020

It’s a very nice looking watch I hope it works out for you either way. Tbh I hadn’t seen that exact model till you posted it

Volatyle likes this.
  4. Dan S Sep 6, 2020

It's not really possible to answer vague questions like "Why are some asking prices high and some low?", which is basically what you are asking. Maybe you are comparing watches that aren't exactly the same. Maybe you are looking in the wrong places. Who knows. With more knowledge, you will probably figure this out for yourself. And don't forget that some sellers may be fishing for suckers, and others may be selling crappy examples (or even fakes).

I would suggest doing your research, and when you are ready to buy, post the details of a specific watch on the forum so members can help vet it. Or just buy a new one and save yourself the trouble.

Volatyle and Walrus like this.
  5. Walrus Sep 6, 2020

Good advice I haven’t priced this watch as I’m not buying one and I didn’t even know if it existed. If the amount of money they are asking is on the high side for you it is certainly understandable you want to see your options but if it’s something you really like and you can swing that new price it would be nice buying from an AD with all the warranties etc. I bet people who own that model will pipe in soon enough.

Volatyle likes this.
  6. Volatyle Sep 7, 2020

Thanks for all the answers! I'll keep looking then. I also like the very same model but in silver. More classy less provocative. Can't decide

Anyway, i guess I need to post some more before I can post in want to buy forum. If anyone here owns a deville prestige please chip in and give me your thoughts about the watch!

Vol