Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 28, 2014

At the moment I have three lenses for my Canon 600D

Standard - Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Telephoto - Canon EFS 55-250mm
    Macro - Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Macro 1:1

I'm not all that happy with the "macro" lens, it doesn't seem to be able to really "macro" much more than my standard lens.

Any suggestions from expert WIS photographers, something that suits watch photography?

Here's a pic that I've cropped from the macro shot.

IMG_0128.JPG

2. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 28, 2014

Use the smallest aperture available to get the greatest depth of field. Use a tripod. Supposedly longer macro lenses also increase the depth of field, so instead of a 90mm try 150mm. (?)

3. cristos71 Jan 29, 2014

I'm using a Canon EF100mm f/2.8 with my 400d and I'm happy with the results, I'm not super serious about it all and don't spend more that 2 minutes on my set up. I do however always use a tripod and have just bought a remote shutter release which has improved things image stability by 50%.

Here's a couple:

049.JPG

186.JPG
    188.JPG

4. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2014

Just use iPhone, with a toilet roll tube lens attached, 50% of the time it works every time... :thumbsup:

image.jpg

epl108 and Hijak like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2014

I use a Nikon 105mm VR F/2.8, equivalent in Canon would be the EF 100mm F/2.8L

I also bought a Nikon TC-17E II teleconverter which gives a 1.7X magnification on top of the 105VR, so it effectively makes it a 180mm marco with greater than 1:1 reproduction

6. alam Jan 29, 2014

Your standard and telephoto lenses will only give you a close up image - and that is technically not a macro 1:1 image. Your Tamron allows you to get much closer to your subjects and thus achive that 1:1 magnification. If you want anything more in terms of magnification, then you should explore with an extender...

7. Jon R Jan 29, 2014

GREAT topic. In my distant past (long before the digital age), photography was a serious hobby. I used extension tubes with standard lenses to achieve, in my humble opinion, good results.

It might also be interesting to discuss lighting. Any tips on how best to light a watch for best results?

8. ICONO Jan 29, 2014

If Wizards give away the 'Secrets of the Dark Art'.......We are cast into the shadows, & banished from the enchanted 'StudioWorld'..........Forever !

However you might be surprised what a degree of patience, a bit of tracing paper, a sunny window, and a couple of white card reflectors, can achieve.

Quick snap of an '82 Rolex Precision 6694, on a full 13 link 78350 bracelet. - This will be for sale, once I get round to shooting it properly

Ro5s.jpg
    Wuza72 likes this.
  9. alam Jan 29, 2014

...and what about the camera/lens set up for this shot? Nice watch BTW!

10. Littleroger Jan 29, 2014

I use a clip on lens for my iphone ! Great wide angle, fisheye and macro shots. Enough for most things anyhow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2014

Most important lens?
    1. Tripod
    2. Tripod
    3. Tripod
    4. Lighting
    5. Lighting
    6. Lighting
    7. 180mm macro - I shoot at f16 usually. Enables me to take the watch pictures comfortably using a floor standing tripod. Also use either a remote shutter release or self timer to minimize image shake.

Spacefruit likes this.
  12. Dablitzer Jan 29, 2014

I'd be interested to know what floor tripod you use, to allow the camera to be at the right angle for some of those shots you do! :whistling: especially with a 180mm macro lens at the end of it.

13. ron n Jan 29, 2014

I have taken most of my macro under water, it is good to remember, if your camera does not have a 35mm size sensor, your focal length is 1.6 times greater. rather then use my 100 mm macro I get good results close up with a super 14mm wide angle.

14. ICONO Jan 29, 2014

Unless you simply want to record the subject in front of you - To just copy it - The most important lens, you need.......is the one you already own.....your eye.

It is composition that makes a successful image - Either aesthetically, or commercially.

Unless you are a Professional......the lens is, to some extent, entirely immaterial.

Having a better Hammer,..... does not make you a better Carpenter

Having said that - if you are able to invest in the most expensive piece of 'proven' glass that you can.......that will increase the resolution,....but it will not necessarily make a better image.

I never use a tripod with watches......They restrict your ability to move fluidly, & creatively, appreciating different aspects / shading / texture / reflections of the subject....You are locked to one angle.

In terms of lighting......a balance of 3:1 will usually prove successful - Using either Daylight, or Flash.

Dablitzer and JimInOz like this.
  15. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 29, 2014

I wish I didn't have to. I shake like a ho in church.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2014

Thanks for all the tips Ωmites.

I bit the bullet and returned the Tamron in exchange for a Canon MP-E 65mm ƒ/2.8 1-5X.

I now think I have close-up and extreme close-up under control.

A few quick snaps with the Canon MP-E are amazing. This is the balance jewel in a Tissot ladies movement, about 2mm ø

[​IMG]

My kit now is

Camera - Canon 600D
    Lenses
    Standard - Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Telephoto - Canon EFS 55-250mm
    Macro - Canon MP-E 65mm ƒ/2.8 1-5X
    Tripod - Manfrotto 290
    Trigger - Remote cable release
    Lighting - Inherited studio flash system

Now to get creative with all of the guidance you've provided.

Privateday7 likes this.
  17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 30, 2014

I have Canon EOS600D and already borrowed Canon macro 100mm f/2.8 lens.
    I haven't used them yet........because too l....a....z....y.....::yawn::. Use my smartphone most of the time instead.
    Probably just return the macro lens and buy a better point and shoot camera for decent macro. I heard Canon G16 gave good bang for the buck for macro shot.

18. Mathlar Jan 30, 2014

We chose to just buy a point and shoot rather than fork out on a macro lens. It'll also be my camera, as I'm not the best photographer and the DSLR is wasted on me...

We just bought a Panasonic TZ35, which is one of the cheapest compacts around right now with a full manual mode, good quality lens with 20x optical zoom and retails at about £129 currently. Far cheaper than the TZ40, by cutting out the wifi, NFC communication etc.

Two quick snaps I just took with no regard to lighting conditions. Looks like I need to get the polywatch out:

P1010099.JPG

P1010103.JPG

Privateday7 likes this.
  19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 30, 2014

Very nice pics Mathlar....thanks for the advise. I'll check Lumix,too.

20. Mathlar Jan 30, 2014

That Canon you quoted is supposed to be excellent but is 2-3 times the price of the Lumix I bought... depends how much of your watch budget you want to spend, I suppose - in our case we were buying on a budget.