Forums Latest Members
  1. OMTOM Aug 13, 2017

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 13, 2017

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 13, 2017

The outside pair appears to be the 19" lignes Chrono L+S but the center one has some variations?
    Guessing Cs quality? (and I do mean guessing!)

True turn-of-the-century artistry.

4. OMTOM Aug 14, 2017

Yes, you’re right UncleBuck: 19’’’ CHRO, dating about 1905/6, actually 19/22’’’. Ref 592.19/22. The two on the left have silver cases, gun-metal on the right. The amazing thing is that there are no hairlines or chips on any of the dials.

The archive lists according to case numbers – and the watchmaker didn’t find case numbers. That means I haven’t been able to ask for extracts: WIP! So I can’t confirm the calibres – but I think they’ll be ‘B’, thus showing as ‘LOB’.

As for a difference in the movements shown – very observant of you. The only difference I am aware of is the rocker that controls the minute counter (you can see it coming off the pillar wheel). The centre movement of my trio is different – and I don’t know why! I have different 19’’’CHRO movements and have noticed this difference – which doesn’t seem to be date-related nor the calibre grade. Also WIP.

Movement differences.jpg

The 19’’’CHRO was the first Omega chronograph, originally from 1898, 9.25 mm thick. The 18’’’P CHRO followed in 1906 and was 7.15 mm thick – hence the ‘P’ which is for ‘plat’ (flat in French). Not bad when you think that the 321 was 6.74 mm in the Speedy (THERE – I’ve said it!).

Much later (1924), the 35M was the thinnest pocket watch Omega made at 3.15 mm: not bad! In this case, the ‘M’ is for ‘mince’ (flat in French, actually I think slim or thin – Yann will tell us). Compare that with a 30T2 at 4 mm – or the 30T2 SC at 5.1 mm.

Yes UncleBuck, as you said “Smell the roses” – there are so many beauties. I wish there were an ‘Omega Pocket Watches Only’ – but it would need more than one volume. And another would be ‘Omega Desk Clocks Only’ (with lots of 30’’’, 27’’’, 59-8D, 53.7, 59‑8D SCS, 42.9 etc: even the Electroquartz and then the French Naval Megaquartz). But instead it all has to be self-help – which is why this Forum is so important!
    Tom

5. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 14, 2017

Amazing, like all the watches I saw from your collection!
    I also wish there were more Omega XXX Only (especially for pre 1945 period!) but I'm definitely too lazy to contribute to something like this.
    Tom could certainly write reference posts on early calibers.

François Pépin and UncleBuck like this.