Forums Latest Members

Dealing with chronic USPS problems

1. nickw Feb 23, 2016

Any words of wisdom for dealing with being screwed over and over by USPS?

In the last week:

1 Package marked as delivered to my mailbox while I was literally looking out the window and nothing was delivered - inexpensive Amazon item would have fit in mailbox. Never recovered.

1 Registered mail marked as notice left nobody home to receive. I was here all afternoon. Doorbell Camera has a log nobody rang. No notice in locked mailbox, other mail delivered.

Last month -

Another package with no evidence of delivery attempt - no notice. nothing tracked down at post office.

I make an extra effort to be super friendly and nice to whatever letter carrier shows up but the USPS here is dreadful and to be sure it was dreadful the last place I was living too.

I opened a customer affairs case for another issue in another state about 4 months ago for another problem never heard a single thing back from the USPS but the package was suddenly found and I lost interest in continuing to hound them.

Has anyone ever gotten satisfaction or have any advice on getting more reliable service?

99% sure this guy is real:

mqdefault.jpg

2. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2016

Open another case, and make sure the Post Office knows that the door is monitored and whoever filled in the information is bullshitting. Sometimes government employees need to be kicked in the ass to do the job their being paid to do.

watchknut and Foo2rama like this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 23, 2016

Yup, that is exactly what everyone gets.
    Notice left, (not really) Attempted delivery (not really)
    This happens to me all the time.
    They do that because they are swamped or lazy and rather
    than show they didn't deliver their allotment they fake it
    so they look good on the performance sheets. Usually the
    package will show up the next day or day after.

Here's my suggestions to eliminate as many problems
    with USPS as possible.
    1. Nice tip at Christmas(or now if you missed it), in a card. (everyone likes being appreciated)
    2. Make pleasant conversation with your delivery person
    as often as possible. (no one likes being faceless)
    3. Offer a bottle of water or a Coke once in a while. (everyone likes being appreciated)
    4. ALWAYS insist,beg,whatever, that the Seller ships with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

These steps will insure you get 99% of your packages
    Carry on

everestx and jose75 like this.
  4. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 23, 2016

Here's one from last week:
    Total Bullshit. I was there. No attempt to deliver
    (my regular mailperson was on vacation)
    Package showed up yesterday.
    Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available) CHICAGO, IL 60604 February 18, 2016 10:14 am
    Arrived at Post Office CHICAGO, IL 60603 February 18, 2016 9:38 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility CHICAGO, IL 60701 February 18, 2016 5:55 am
    Inbound Out of Customs
    February 17, 2016 9:49 am
    Inbound Into Customs
    Processed Through Sort Facility ISC MIAMI FL (USPS) February 14, 2016 11:54 am

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 23, 2016

:(

Almost makes my Australia Post beef totally insignificant.

The Sunshine West Mail Centre is about 10 kilometres from my house!

:mad:

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 1.11.20 PM.png

Emeister likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 23, 2016

USPS really seems to be locality dependent. My home office usually does a great job. The one where one of the watchmakers I use has his shop is atrocious. I can't remember the last time he didn't have to go to the local PO to pick up a package that was "delivery attempted" with no evidence of a mail carrier having been within yards of his shop.

As a new development, here's a sequence from just today at my delivery address:
    Delivered NEW YORK, NY 10075 February 23, 2016 11:47 am
    Undeliverable as Addressed NEW YORK, NY 10075 February 22, 2016 1:53 pm
    Out for Delivery NEW YORK, NY 10075 February 22, 2016 7:37 am

If it's undeliverable, how was it delivered the next day? Did they find a postie who could read? Aren't I lucky! Oh, and the label was perfectly clear.

7. rfortson Feb 23, 2016

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky. I get pretty good service from the USPS. My only gripe is the occasional "Sunday" delivery from Amazon which shows as delivered but never gets here until Monday. But otherwise, I generally get good service. It's location dependent.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 23, 2016

Shipping issues, delays, headaches... My life lol

GuiltyBoomerang and pitpro like this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 23, 2016

I have similar issues with AusPost sometimes. Marked at delivered at 5:30pm (presumably that is their official end of day), and then it magically turns up at about 7:30 or 8. My guess is the driver sits somewhere at 5:25 and scans all the remaining parcels as "delivered" to meet his KPI. Twice lodged complaints, never heard anything back.

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 23, 2016

Our USPS service went in the toilet last year when the long-time carrier retired and contractors are now used for the route. I get an email each morning showing what mail is supposed to arrive that day. On Mondays we often receive no mail at all, or are missing things -- and those items don't always show up later in the week. I've buttonholed the carrier twice later in the week and both times was told they were not the ones responsible for Monday deliveries and could not help. I filed a compaint through USPS with some specifics, and never even received a reply stating the complaint was received and/ or would be reviewed.

When it snowed here a couple weeks back they stopped delivery on noon on Friday, and did not resume until the next Wednesday. And when it resumed we were missing a lot of pieces of mail. My next-door neighbor called both local post offices numerous times to complain, and called the local congressman's office as well. That resulted in them getting two mail deliveries (one at 10:00 pm and one at 6:30 am) by someone in a regular steet car, and none of the rest of us received deliveries.

The funny thing is one of my sisters works for USPS in Upper Michigan, and they never miss deliveries or use contractors.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2016

Well at least my delivery is back in the correct state now. I wonder how long it'll take to travel the 10 or 20 kilometres this time.

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 5.22.25 PM.png

12. Rman Feb 24, 2016

A notable recent experience was seeing a substitute driver filling in for my usual(and very nice) route driver throw a missed delivery slip in my mail box.
    I guess he was in a rush because he didn't attempt to get out of the truck and walk to the front door.
    I jumped in my car and chased him down on the next block. He was surprised at my efforts but he didn't know he had a nice Omega on board;)

13. repoman Feb 24, 2016

In the photo contest that @Darlinboy recently ran, I shipped my donated item back in December to the winner, who is in Germany, via USPS international. Well, a week ago (a full two months after I sent it), it was returned to me with some total f'ing BS reason for the return... mind you, it had Germany DHL stickers all over it... so it was there, and they decided to send it all the way back, apparently by bicycle.

14. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

As with many routes, we have a regular carrier 5 days a week, an alternate the remaining day. I pray important items don't come on the alternate's day, because who knows what will happen with them.

15. demollo Feb 24, 2016

I sell cosmetics on ebay and have to deal with USPS on regular basis... what a headache...Often it happens that they leave the Notice which is not really left..

16. marturx Feb 24, 2016

I concur. USPS is not reliable. I have never, despite having sent through postal service all over the globe, during 10 years of time, had any problems elsewhere.

In the case where eBay stole 2500$ from me, USPS was involved. My guess is that they delivered without requiring a signature, which the buyer took advantage of.