Forums Latest Members

Dealer watch - box says made in China?

1. vadim97 Jan 16, 2017

Hi,

I've just purchased a ladies speedmaster through an authorized dealer and noticed that the white outer box that instructions and the actual watch box goes into says "made in china". The quality of the box is also sub-par, while everything else looks pretty solid.

I find that just a wee bit surprising... Any thoughts? Searching the forums (as a properly mannered newb) didn't yield any results.

Thanks!

-Vadim

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 16, 2017

Welcome. I can't help with the box question, but set yourself an avatar and post some pics of the watch (and the box). You're almost there!

3. meganfox17 Jan 17, 2017

Hi Vadim[emoji137]

I 'm only here to help you identify whether it's a fake or genuine Omega box . I have seen both Tag Heuer & Omega fake boxes on the flea markets & on ebay so Yes......those boxes are either made in mainland China or Hong Kong where quality of the fakes are even better & would fool a newbie

● The Omega logo looks cheap, feels plasticky, the outline lacks depth with a poor 3D effect
    ● The colour of the Red Box is usually pale red or like a red marker pen lacking the deep rich tones of the original.
    ● You'll see this sign. Poor fitting and stitching[​IMG]
    ●The cream coloured Omega card holder also lacks the refine stitch of the original ,the card holder is usually synthetic leather & feels grainy.

It takes a little practice to distinguish both fake & genuine boxes but Yeah..
    Made in China boxes are not uncommon but actually getting more rampant these days.
    A friend of mine who visited Hong Kong told me there was this AD seller who deliberately replaced the original Omega box with a very good fake housing an Omega watch which also had parts inside replaced with generic versions ! The Chinese are really the Masters of the art of forgery ( like Renaissance Artworks ) or making " Genuine Fakes " so I suggest that you bring your watch to an authorized Omega watchmaker or service centre to confirm its authenticity... just to be on the safe side !

rbob99, kkt, Miss_Bourginskay and 6 others like this.
  4. meganfox17 Jan 17, 2017

Oh Yeah ! Since I'm under appreciated & treated unfairly on the OF , I will delete my post above once you have read it. Thank Sir for your time and patience !

rbob99, Miss_Bourginskay and night0wl like this.
  5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

A new member was only looking for some information about his watch, the drama seems rather unnecessary and uncalled for here.

Your first response to him was actually really useful and I'm sure it was appreciated by Vadim and potentially many others.

vitriol, tyrantlizardrex and vadim97 like this.
  6. levkov Jan 17, 2017

vadim97 likes this.
  7. vadim97 Jan 17, 2017

Thanks, folks. I will work on getting an avatar and some pictures posted when I get a new strap for my FOIS, otherwise it'll be everything everyone has already seen... :)

Except for the white box, everything else looks top notch quality. Couldn't neatpick any details. I also noticed that on the other watch, which I got through another dealer, the outer box also said "box made in china".

So I guess the interesting question is whether Omega outsources its boxes... Has anyone bought from AD recently and noticed anything about China on the boxes?

Thanks!

-Vadim

8. chich Jan 18, 2017

The quality of fakes these days is disturbingly impressive - both watches and all associated accessories.

Boxes are easily faked and the only true way to be sure you're buying the real watch is to see a detail of the movement (and even movement clones are being produced these days). Of course reputable AD's/boutiques are fine, but the grey/second hand market can be a dangerous place.

9. gee_cee Jan 18, 2017

If you're going into an AD to authenticate, take the whole package, not just the watch. See what they say.

10. foxglove Jan 18, 2017

If you bought from an actual authorized dealer (listed on omega website) then the odds are near 100% that it's all legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. Tubber Jan 18, 2017

A lot of major manufacturers outsource stuff to China. I have a Tag Heuer box with "Made in China" on it.

12. M'Bob Jan 18, 2017

I'm over-appreciated, so between the two of us, the universe will remain stable.

Archer, al128, Deafboy and 1 other person like this.
  13. ohmzx Jan 18, 2017

Vadim, share some pics will ya?

14. OhMegaMan Jan 18, 2017

You make me wonder where silver snoopy box was made in? It doesnt have 'made in china' sticker or emboss anywhere, nor does it say where it came from.

Edited Jan 18, 2017