Forums Latest Members

De Ville Chronograph Chronograph 1968 caliber 860, Reference 145.017

1. Edward Greenwood Jan 18, 2022

Edited my post: Recently retrieved my father’s 1968 De Ville Chronograph Chronograph 1968 caliber 860, Reference 145.017 and had a query about servicing

3622B2BF-1073-40A4-B262-FC00A7649E5D.jpeg FD836F5A-09D2-46AD-A97C-2B2295AD5788.jpeg 49B93EE9-2B0C-4908-9546-64FA90243A64.jpeg
    Edited Jan 18, 2022
    pdxleaf, PlainVanilla and Maganator like this.
  2. Maganator Jan 18, 2022

Congratulations. Always lovely to hear these stories.

I don't know about where best to get it serviced in your part of the world but hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Wear it in good health

Edward Greenwood likes this.
  3. Edward Greenwood Jan 18, 2022

Thank you

4. Edward Greenwood Jan 18, 2022

Although, my main query is, should I bother to service it? I note all parts being original and it having acquired appropriate wear, And still holding good time, I am so wary of Jakarta’s Omega service centre doing a rather too complete overhaul and replacing hands, re-luming with non tritium and so on and so forth…Am I right to want the watch to remain as original as possible with appropriate wear after 54 years of adventures?

5. PlainVanilla Jan 18, 2022

Hello and congratulations for having this one back to you. I think you should have it serviced but not at an Omega boutique. Find a good watchmaker who will do what you ask specifically, i.e. a simple service of the movement.

Edward Greenwood likes this.
  6. Vanallard Jan 18, 2022

@sliceoftime_ should be able to help you out. He’s also in Jakarta.

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  7. lightweight Jan 18, 2022

Echoing the other posters here in saying that a service would be a good idea. Seems like you have a lot of memories with this watch and want to keep it running in the long term. A nice trip to the spa would be a great idea. Think about it like buying a used car. The guy you bought it from says he is sure he had the oil changed last year but doesn't have the receipt. Its a good idea to have it in for some preventative maintenance and start the timer on the next service. A ounce of prevention, a pound of cure, and a dozen other proverbs I am sure apply.

Local watchmaker is a good idea they tend to be more sympathetic to vintage pieces. If it went off to Omega they would likely polish out all those dings your dad put into over the years which would be a shame. Not to mention possibly swapping hands ect..

Mostly just stopping by to say that I think you have a beautiful watch there. I am thinking about adding a similar looking midcentury, manual wind, two register chrono to the collection soon. I'll be luck if I can snag one as sweet looking as the beauty you got there. Good luck! I hope you can make some beautiful memories of your own with that watch on your wrist!

MDubs and Edward Greenwood like this.
  8. Edward Greenwood Jan 19, 2022

9. Edward Greenwood Jan 19, 2022

Thank you so much, and yes, consensus seems to be to find a good watch servicing chap and have it serviced, (without replacements of originals.) If this watch could talk, it would have such a tale, before my lifetime, including my father pointing out to his unbelieving maid in Kampala ‘69 that indeed there were men standing on that moon, evacuation from Uganda in ‘73, halcyon days lobster fishing in the Cayman Islands and thereafter, within my lifetime: cutting bamboo in lion infested game reserves at midnight, a lung puncture, a marathon or so, being held hostage, well just endless…I would like it to just keep on ticking and witnessing, to hand on to next, and so shall keep it as original as can be, with, (gratefully received advice,) servicing to ensure it does keep on.

MDubs likes this.
  10. sliceoftime_ Jan 21, 2022

Send me DM bud if you need my help.