Forums Latest Members

De-stressing, Especially On A Friday Afternoon

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

So what do we all do?

After a particularly aggravating week where the bean counters were quibbling over every $100K variance and questioning schedule expansion I was glad to get out of the office.

In the old days I would have hit the pub with my mate and downed a few pints while telling bullshit war stories to each other.

Now that I'm much more mature, I went to the market, grabbed some fresh seafood marinara and mussels for dinner (I'm chef tonight) and a six pack of Guinness draught.

Into a pair of tracky dacks, onto the stereo with Beethoven's 5th, and crack a Guinness.

No better way to deal with forum matters before I commence dinner preparations.

If I hadn't felt like a Guinness (or two ;)) I would've put a bit of Beethoven on in my study (probably the 5th, I find it stimulating and relaxing) and done a bit of watch work. I've got two movements I have to oil and re-assemble, but mixing that with drinks is fraught with danger, thus the proliferation of forum activity.

Discuss.

Dablitzer and Trev like this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

Good plan Jim.

If you can fix watches while filled with Guinness, just imagine how great you'll be doing it sober ;)

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 21, 2013

This is what I'm doing at the moment
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371799228.906411.jpg

MMMD likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

Hmmmm.......I might have to buy a kilo or so of Seagulls and test that theory :p .

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

You Sir, are a very clever man!

However........I've just completed a couple of smokey weeks and I've broken it with a lovely..............

IMG_0036.JPG

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 21, 2013

And after my daughter is in bed, I think this will be in order
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371803537.663309.jpg

7. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2013

Friday is my Wednesday, but on Sunday nights after my work week is done it's either a dark beer or glass of tawny port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

Young's Double Choccy??????

You're fu**n' jokin' Dennis!!!!!!

Have you been stalkin' me at the liqor store?

My usual stout is Giunness Draft or Guinness Special Export.

BUT, once a week or so, I drop by Danny Murphys and grab a couple of .....ta da .........Young's Double Choccy!!!!

Well chilled and poured into a tall glass it's just the thing for a cold autumn night relaxer before dinner.

I can't bleeve the world is so small, two blokes OUTSIDE the UK drinking Youngs!!!!!

Anyway.......

Give me a yell after you've tried Arrogant Double Bastard Ale, it would have to be the best American brew I've ever tasted!!

9. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2013

Yell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They serve it on tap at Eulogy on 2nd & Chestnut often. Liked it so much I bought the glass.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Good taste in whisky mate! :thumbsup:

I am a huge fan of Laphroaig and the 10YO is a go to standard for me....as well as a few others as seen here..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 30YO is just amazing....and I have not opened the Quarter cask yet.

The 21 YO Bowmore is gone now, but it was also very good. As you can see I am partial to Islay single malts.

I do like a drop of Cognac here and there too...my wife likes the flavoured stuff, but for me the XO is what I drink the most. The VSOP is for cooking mainly...

[​IMG]

I also like rum, and sometime Vodka....I serviced a watch (Omega vintage) for someone at the Russian Embassy in Ottawa a while back, and after he received the watch I got a package in the mail...my wife picked the mail up that day, and she came home and asked if I had ordered some bottle of liquid. I said no, and she handed me this:

[​IMG]

I opened it to find this inside:

[​IMG]

Kudos to Canada Post for delivering a bottle of Vodka through the mail, only wrapped in a brown paper envelope and one layer of bubble wrap...LOL!

Cheers, Al

adam78 likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2013

:eek:
    I'm on the plane to see you Al, you obviously need help to sip your way through that swag. ;)

All good quality too I see, that Lagavulin 16 is the pick of the bunch for me, and you could probably use the vodka for washing parts with :)

12. Hijak Jun 21, 2013

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

13. Hijak Jun 21, 2013

Archer I was going to PM you about servicing some of my watches...but after a post like that I think I'll just drive up from Chicago and personally deliver as to partake in some of your libations while I wait (take you time please!) ;)

14. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2013

Evaporation is a bitch! :p

15. OttawaMan Jun 21, 2013

Archer (Al,) You're in Ottawa? Do you service watches as a hobby or a business? ie: If I needed work done or advice should I talk to you? I work downtown at Queen and Bank.

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 21, 2013

You are men after my own heart. The Ardbeg Corryvreckan is my current favorite poison.

Some day I want to do this tour...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only 2.2 miles from Ardbeg to Laphroaig... and Lagavulin is right at the half-way point. Who's up for a peat crawl?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

I can assure you it didn't evaporate...unless going into my stomach is considered "evaporation" in your world... ;)

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Not in Ottawa, but I service watches from all over the world, and it is my profession (after being a project engineer for 23 years that is). If you have service needs, you can send me a PM.

Cheers, Al

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

One of these days I will do this - I have been a "Friend of Laphroaig" for many years, and I "own" a small patch of peat moss, so they owe me some serious rent when I visit the distillery. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Al

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Any time! By the way GO HAWKS! (I hate the Bruins)

Game 4 was outstanding!

Cheers, Al

Hijak likes this.