Forums Latest Members
  1. amiriqbal Feb 22, 2019

This model has recently caught my eye. Particularly the blue dial, fluted bezel on the jubilee bracelet.

I like the dressiness of it and, as I'm suited everyday, think it would suit my lifestyle well.

I'm guessing these are going to be a lot easier to pick up at the AD 'off the shelf'.

Any one own this model and provide any thoughts?

Baz9614 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2019

I personally think it’s a tad large wearing when I tried it on but that’s me and my wrist with that style of watch.

amiriqbal likes this.
  3. Dan S Feb 22, 2019

I tried one on, and it didn't do anything for me. At 41mm, I'd rather have a sport watch.

amiriqbal likes this.
  4. amiriqbal Feb 22, 2019

Hmm

I haven't tried one on yet but I thought the promo pics/vids look really cool.

I also liked the idea of it being so classic and synonymous with Rolex

5. amiriqbal Feb 23, 2019

An AD about 60miles from me has the datejust 41 with blue dial and jubilee in stock.

I also am on the list with them for an explorer 1. If I really like the DJ41 might flip to that instead.

Edited Feb 24, 2019
  6. BlueOtter Feb 24, 2019

Tried it on before at the AD and felt a tad bit large for what it should be.

7. VintageWatchIta Feb 24, 2019

Cool watch but doesn't fit on my 17 cm wrist :(

amiriqbal likes this.
  8. stevec14 Feb 24, 2019

I had one (blue dial, jubilee and smooth bezel). Loved it for a while bit it wears big lug to lug and I thought it was a tad large for its purpose. Very nice with the jubilee however. Best bet is to try on.

Oh - a blue dial will be hard to get. Likely a wait list for those in the uk, although harrods had 3 a month or so ago.

amiriqbal likes this.
  9. amiriqbal Feb 24, 2019

Did you trade in or sell this on?

How did you find the resale? It's prett pricey with the fluted bezel at around circa 7K, I'm guessing will drop 20% or so?

Didn't realise there was likely to be a wait list for this model. I have an explorer 216570 already, so the datejust will prob wear OK on me.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2019

It will wear a tad larger due to style, even if slightly smaller. The lack of large bezel will do that.

Waxtactic and amiriqbal like this.
  11. amiriqbal Feb 24, 2019

Thanks for that advice mate. The explorer 2 is probably the largest I would like to go, so will make sure I'll get a try of it on the wrist

Waxtactic and Foo2rama like this.
  12. Avav1 Feb 24, 2019

Been trying to get a blue dialed one for my dad’s 70th bday, just as tough to find as a sub.

amiriqbal likes this.
  13. amiriqbal Feb 24, 2019

I've just emailed the AD to hold onto the watch until I can make it down this weekend.

I'm feeling like I'm talking myself into a purchase here!

Been checking out some you tune vids of Reference126334 configuration and I'm really digging it.

Will see how I feel when it's on the wrist. The explorer 1 may take backseat for now.

14. amiriqbal Feb 24, 2019

Also, I've prev heard that a discount is usually possible on datejusts. I will ask for sure, but wondered if this is going to be realistic to obtain within the 'new Rolex world' of supply being outstripped by demand??

@stevec14 did you manage to negotiate any money off when you bought yours?

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2019

DJ’s are not hard to get.

amiriqbal likes this.
  16. amiriqbal Feb 24, 2019

Yes, that's what I figured. Never really considered one until now. Initial googling reveals they are the best selling Rolex model and, in turn, very common.

Maybe I'm being completely manipulated by Rolex's strategy of limiting supply or subs/gmts etc and now looking at considering easier to get models.

Conversely though, I wonded if datejusts suddenly became hard to get, if they would also become very sought after model, with people willing to pay a premium over RRP, as is the situation with the SS sport range.

17. stevec14 Feb 25, 2019

In the U.K., blue ones are believe it or not. Rhodium quite hard, the rest ok.

Edited Feb 25, 2019
    Foo2rama likes this.
  18. stevec14 Feb 25, 2019

No - they wouldn’t discount the blue. That’s fairly standard as it’s the one most want. That’s not to say you won’t get one, but most of the large greys sell the blue for a premium so read into that what you will. The other colours potentially. Like I said, go and try it on if they are holding one for you. The size is approx 39.5 if memory serves me correctly, but the lug to lug length is quite long. It’s an attractive watch, was just ever so slightly to big lug to lug for me (personal opinion). The dial is amazing however - Rolex do blue dials well.

In answer to your other question, resale is ok. I didn’t get all my money back but most. Ultimately a dj is never a really an investment, albeit there is some of the sports watch stupidity coming through.

lindo and amiriqbal like this.
  19. Janne2000 Feb 25, 2019

Sorry but no:)

20. rkman11 Feb 25, 2019

The Datejust 36mm is perfection, and the Datejust 41mm is an abomination. (Maybe I’m being a tad dramatic, but the watch just doesn’t work on so many levels.)