Forums Latest Members

Date click over on Explorer 16570?

1. jimmyd13 Feb 23, 2018

I wondered if someone could put my mind at rest regarding my 16570: the date clicks over at exactly 12 midnight but does not fully show the date until around 3am ... does any 16570 owner see the same thing or do I have an issue that needs to be addressed?

(Yes, I'm that anal)

Thanks all.

ufo65 and watch3s like this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Feb 23, 2018

I'll grab mine from the safe tonight and check - my 16570 however has the 3186 GMT movement (V-serial) not the older 3185. Don't know if that makes a difference - I know it does when advancing the hour hand 9 hours for a turn of the crown vs 5-6 hours for a turn of the crown.

Okay I'm back - When I hack the seconds to position 2 on the crown, and move both the hour and minute hand towards midnight, it consistently advances the date in it's entirety at midnight, and there is no lag to finish advancing the date - it's all instant and done.

Edited Feb 24, 2018
    ufo65, jimmyd13 and watch3s like this.
  3. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

was it serviced before? all of my date rolexes (16570,16710) change over at or around 12, if not 2-3 minutes after.

I asked if its been serviced because some places do not care to pay that change over any mind. if you watch any watch repair channel youtube videos you see the guy sort of time the switch over before he replaces the hands. this sort of places everything close to the 11:59-12:00 switch over for dates.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

yes - Rolex service.

The date clicks first at exactly 12, but it doesn't completely go over for a few hours (it's the same point each time, approx 02.50). I was wondering if there was a worn wheel or damaged tooth somewhere.

5. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

but when was the service? thinking back even the datejust I let go sometime back the change over and date wheel changed clean very close to 12 too. im thinking either damage or perhaps dried oils? perhaps archer can chime in here (don't know how to tag on this forum)

jimmyd13 likes this.
  6. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

I can tag Al - @Archer . I don't want to complain without cause so I thought I'd see if other owners saw the same thing. My other Rolexes always change in an instant but, maybe obviously, I don't have another Explorer II to compare it with. I'm unsure which movement the watch uses but it's a 1991.

watch3s likes this.
  7. alam Feb 24, 2018

You can try this. If this test is any accurate, then mine has the 3186. Mine also shows a relative short lag before the date is completely centered in the window - but my observation is only when adjusting the time as I find myself sleeping most of the time around 3 in the morning :)

gostang9 and watch3s like this.
  8. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

that should be the earlier 3185, the switch over was in the Z serial and late Z serial at that. it was hard to find one in decent shape when I was looking. no rehaut, but LEC, SEL, no lug holes

9. Canuck Feb 24, 2018

Do you think there may still be some warranty coverage on the repair? Did you own the watch when it was serviced by Rolex, and if so, did the date behave that way before Rolex serviced it? If not, did you notice this change in behaviour immediately after Rolex serviced it? The date should not behave that way. Your decision as to what to do should be fairly simple.

10. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

I missed that part of the reply.

The service was less than a year ago. I don't know if the watch always did this; if I only recently notice; or, if something has gone awry. It's still within the warranty, though, so I can take it back if necessary.

watch3s likes this.
  11. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

It's still under warranty; I bought the watch from the Rolex AD with service papers and warranty card as a pre-owned watch ... so we're all good from that point of view.

If there is an actual fault, I'll ask them to look at it. If I'm making something out of nothing ... then we're still all good. Love the watch. It's accurate to a few seconds a day but, strangely, is less accurate than my 50 year old 5513. I should have stopped buying watches after I got that ... it is the perfect wristwatch.

watch3s likes this.
  12. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

if its on their dime, Id get it checked out. Because if you consider it, and watch other date rolexes, once it hits twelve, about twelve, or a little after, the date wheel snaps over to the next date right away usually. This hours to change completely over is a thing of lower budget watches usually. Now what happens when you manually adjust date, like old school non quick set way? Hows the change over with that?

13. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

Advancing the time past midnight does the same thing: instant click with the date in the aperture stalling between two numbers before completely changing with a second click just before 3am.

14. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

yeah seems like something is not engaging. i await our resident watchmaker's opinion. see here,
    the guy sorta times it right and then places the hands. so the switch over goes right

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2018

^^^ I know better than to click on his videos, but it seems I can't resist...::facepalm2:: :whipped:

Anyway, the date change should flip right at midnight and the change should be complete, like this...

Your watch should go back to Rolex pronto for repairs under warranty.

Cheers, Al

alam, jimmyd13 and watch3s like this.
  16. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

Thank you Al, and everyone else who's chimed in. I wasn't sure if it was the watch or me.

Just for the sake of completeness and education, does the symptom point to an obvious fault or can any number of things cause this?

ag986 and watch3s like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2018

Essentially the date indicator is not being pushed far enough to clear the jumper based on your description, so is hanging up on a tooth of the date indicator - unclear what is causing it to hang up. Knowing that it likely worked right when it left service (otherwise should have been caught and fixed) I'm guessing lubrication on the jumper, but I suppose it could be some other things. Could be for some reason the initial push from the cam doesn't have enough force or something.

In any case should not be a big deal to fix.

Cheers, Al

jimmyd13 likes this.
  18. watch3s Feb 24, 2018

:D so sorry! I dont have too many sources to go on to describe the change over, but that was the most recent one I remember watching. I always forget your stance on that guy ;) thanks for sharing all your knowledge and experience with us man!

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2018

No worries - my own fault - like watching a slow moving car wreck that you can't take your eyes off. Okay maybe an overstatement but it does gall me a bit that this guy charges money for lessons and violates so many fundamental rules...oh well...

watch3s likes this.
  20. jimmyd13 Feb 24, 2018

Thanks again - I know I speak for most if not all when it comes to you insight on how our little toys work, or fail to work.

watch3s likes this.