Forums Latest Members

Database to Track What Watches I Wear?

1. sturosen Apr 5, 2019

I have a decent collection - about 24 pieces - and I'd love to track, each day, what I wear and then be able to see which watches are the most "popular" over time. Is there any app that anyone can recommend? Also, is this insane?

Thanks.

2. mblease Apr 5, 2019

Hahah... I think it might be edging on insanity, but who cares, that's why we're all here.

Jwit, sturosen, BatDad and 2 others like this.
  3. gostang9 Apr 5, 2019

1. WRUW thread

2. Instagram

Sure.

Waltesefalcon, George.A, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  4. Au79 Aluminium Apr 5, 2019

Don't know any apps off hand but I am sure any database program could be modified to handle it. Having said that, I think in this case (where your data size is only couple dozen pieces) using old fashion pen and paper is best. You can write down your data on a notebook and input them in a spread sheet weekly or monthly. After doing so for few months, you can sort and quantify with Excel formulas to see which watch was your favorite. Of course, if you are a software and database genius, go crazy and make an app but make sure to share so that we can all enjoy your hard work.;)

By the way, it's not insanity level yet but you are definitely close. LOL.

sturosen and connieseamaster like this.
  5. BatDad Apr 5, 2019

Google sheets. Quick. Easy and can chart off it. Mobile apps available

Edit - somewhat ocd. But I can’t say much. :)

yvrclimber and sturosen like this.
  6. connieseamaster Apr 5, 2019

Well, crap. Now I'm curious about my rotation patterns too. I'll probably make a chart in my EDC notebook and keep track for a few months

sturosen likes this.
  7. BradleyJ. Apr 5, 2019

My only advice

And yes this is kinda crazy Haha.

Guest-Room-Pen-and-Paper.jpeg.jpg
    yvrclimber, NOTSHARP, Archer and 3 others like this.
  8. sturosen Apr 5, 2019

Thanks for the ideas and the diagnosis. I actually figured out how to do this - I can maintain an Excel spreadsheet with consecutive days in the first column, and the name of the watch I wear on each day in the second (the "WATCH WORN" column). Then, in a separate part of the spreadsheet, I have the name of each watch I own in one column and in the next, I use the "COUNTIF" Excel formula to track how frequently a word or series of words is found in the "WATCH WORN" column. It's actually fairly easy. Next stop: graphical reports...

blufinz52 likes this.
  9. Au79 Aluminium Apr 5, 2019

Haha. Yes. Don't forget to show us your pie chart in a few months. I think the pie chart will push it over the edge of insanity.

Waltesefalcon and sturosen like this.
  10. BatDad Apr 5, 2019

@sturosen will you take requests?

Month function on the date, add a pivot table (count by watch) and chart monthly usage patterns as a stacked bar chart on the x axis, count on the y.

sturosen likes this.
  11. Inpw Apr 5, 2019

I keep all my watches in a daily rotation with a fixed pattern. So far I haven't grown tired of a single watch, luckily...

WatchShopping and sturosen like this.
  12. Canuck Apr 5, 2019

Glad use used the word diagnosis. If you had used the word analysis, I’d be concerned for you. Last time I had a hobby that was a science, it was when I had a chemistry set. ;)

sturosen likes this.
  13. Uniqez Apr 5, 2019

You probably could utilize inventory management apps from this list:
    1. Inventory+
    2. Daily Sales Tracker 2, 3 & Pro
    3. Goods Inventory
    4. Inventory Control with Barcode Scanner
    5. On Shelf
    6. Stock Control
    7. Asset & Inventory Tracker
    8. Cashier Live
    9. Cin7 Inventory & POS
    10. Inventory Now
    11. SOS Inventory
    12. Top Shelf
    13. TradeGecko
    14. Canvas Inventory Apps
    15. Goods Order Inventory
    16. Inventory Droid
    17. JumpStock
    18. myStock Inventory Manager
    19. Partender: Bar Inventory Software
    20. Spreadsheet & Inventory Pro
    I don't know which one would be a better fit for you, but you could try some.

sturosen likes this.
  14. sturosen Apr 5, 2019

VERY helpful - thanks!

Uniqez likes this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 5, 2019

But how will you account for wearing more than one watch in a single day? You really need to track the hours worn on the relevant day(s) :D

BTW, do you happen to drive your wife/ SO and/ or co-workers crazy? Asking for a friend. ;)

16. sturosen Apr 5, 2019

You see, THIS is why I benefit from being part of this community - I've gotta time-weight the hours multiple watches are worn within a single day. I'm on it.

I am insanely fortunate to have a wife who supports this filthy habit to a truly disturbing degree (and it's our 32nd anniversary today!). But I'd never even mention my collection to co-workers; it'd only prompt a "HOW much have you spent in total?" conversation that holds no upside for me.

AveConscientia and BlackTalon like this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 5, 2019

Google Spread sheet

yvrclimber likes this.
  18. Texas Toast Apr 5, 2019

Pen & Paper? WRUW/Instagram? Pffft .... this is a simple asset-tracking problem!

Just add RFID tags to all your watches and place networked RFID scanners at all relevant exits in your home; minor mods to doorframes and some re-wiring should do the trick. Watch (asset) ID and time-stamps will be automatically logged so you can build the database of your dreams. Of course you'll also want a mobile system that can be synchronized with the home tracking -- something for hotel rooms, visits to the in-laws, summering at the country estate, etc.

See how easy that was? ;)

(and I've got my own OCDs, so no judgement there...)

sturosen and connieseamaster like this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 5, 2019

I would hook up an IFTTT recipe that takes and email and dumps it to a google spreadsheet.. Then all it takes is a quick email in the morning and you're done .

sturosen and BatDad like this.
  20. Mac5 Apr 5, 2019

That's easy. Drop your collection down to two watches and alternate days or wear the watch that matches what you are wearing that day. Better still drop it down to one, than there is no doubt which one you are wearing.;)

sturosen likes this.