Forums Latest Members

Dark side of the moon, now a better value ?

1. Totoro Apr 13, 2017

Hello,

The main criticism of the DSOTM when it launched was it's excessive price (12k +). Now that you can find it under 6k, what do you think of this watch ?

The owners, don't hesitate to post pics as well !

2. Meme-Dweller Apr 13, 2017

I haven't seen it under 5k yet. Maybe if it had no box or papers.

It's a way better value than in 2012 but still expensive relative to the steel 9300 Speedmaster.

I hope they update the original DSOTM with a lumed tach like the GSOTM and update to the Master Chronometer 9900.

A downsizing to 41-42mm would make the watch a must-have for most of us but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Totoro and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 13, 2017

GSoTM... drooling

IMHO that's the one to have.

Re getting smaller: that movement is huge never going to happen :(

Wetworks likes this.
  4. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Apr 13, 2017

I'm still not a fan at $6k. It really doesn't do much for me. None of the sides of the moon editions do much for me, though.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  5. yinzerniner Apr 13, 2017

Well, they could probably construct the case in the '57 style to shave it down to 41.5mm, but that wouldn't change the exorbitant thickness of over 16mm. That being said the SOTM series always wore smaller than their stainless steel counterparts with the material being less physically dense and visually darker.

For $6k the DSOTM is a helluva value proposition as long as you don't have to service it anytime soon and the strap is in good condition.

BrianMcKay and Totoro like this.
  6. R3D9 Apr 13, 2017

It's a cool watch as a concept, but I wasn't impressed when I tried it on. It's a beast on the wrist and I think the number of versions they've come out with have made diminished the line.

I think it would be a great addition to a large-ish Omega collection as it's definitely an important release in the history of the Speedmaster, but in an under-five watch collection, I think there are much better options at eh sub-6K level.

All that being said, the heart wants what the heart wants... if it's grabbed you and won't let go, buy it :)

BrianMcKay and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Bushido Apr 14, 2017

To each their own and there is certainly no shortage of critics of the xSOTM line. For me? I've owned the Pitch Black for some time and still love the hell out of it each and every time I strap it to my wrist. Incredibly comfortable, fantastic movement, keeps excellent time, looks as new as the day I purchased, and is kick ass on the wrist in my opinion. No day has passed that I've regretted purchasing.

8. Morrisdog Apr 14, 2017

The recent basal world speedmasters have managed to reduce the thickness. I think these new models will be 14.9mm thick.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. jcmartinez98 Apr 14, 2017

IMG_0386.JPG Still a stunner

10. ras47 Apr 14, 2017

Good God, that's a gorgeous Speedmaster!! Right in my wheelhouse, minus the price. I've been struggling with deciding on a size to begin my inevitable Speedy collection. I've never been a collector kind of guy but I just KNOW that once I get a Speedy I won't be able to stop. I went from a fairly beefy Seamaster to a relatively small and svelte Rolex GMT2. While I love my Rolex to death, having a watch that does not dominate my wrist is an odd feeling. I need - not want - NEED a 42mm classic style Speedmaster and a DSoM 44.25 one. That's to start. Where this goes from there is anybody's guess.

oddboy, Totoro and jcmartinez98 like this.
  11. Totoro Apr 14, 2017

What is the difference between the 9900 movement and the 9300 ?

It is true that the DSOTM should have at least the master chronometer denomination !

If the number of version of DSOTM diminish the line, what should we say about the moonwatch !!

Not sure it should be an argument to chose to buy a watch IMHO.

What other option do you think about ?

What I like about the DSOTM is that it has the look of a speedmaster with some improvement : precision, scratch resistance with a modern ceramic case..

Of course I like the look of the original as well. In fact I still hesistate between the two !!

I think the pitch black is beautiful with the matte dial, lack of red, and green superluminova ! Best edition with the original DSOTM.

12. Bushido Apr 14, 2017

The 9900s movements are METAS versions of the 9300. I do not recall reading about any differences other than the changes to fulfill the newer certification designation. Twin barrel power reserve, silicon hair spring, vertical clutch mechanics, et al should work the same with some parts swapped to achieve the anti magnetic properties. Perhaps our certified watch makers have seen some more detailed information that hasn't been part of blog/press kits and releases?

I agree and I like your style!!

IMAG0720 (3).jpg

Riviera Paradise, sensui and Totoro like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 14, 2017

They are not 100% the same movement sans materials and not all parts can be swapped. There are a couple of threads on this. The 9900 is based on it and some parts are the same.

14. blackberrycubed Apr 14, 2017

9300 is superior to 9900 because i have 9300. Thats that!

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 14, 2017

I'm so looking forward to the Cal 10000!

16. axl911 Apr 16, 2017

I would love to know where to get a sub 6K or 5K dark side of the moon!!!

17. Omeoneganobi Apr 16, 2017

For some reason I've never liked DSOTM, or the Grey version. I like the original (or variants thereof - I own a 3750.50). I guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but I do feel Omega is trying to really milk this one more than they perhaps should.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2017

You sir either have no soul or never seen that grey dial in person.

Once you see that grey dial selling your first born or a kidney starts to make sense.

All love! But seriously that grey dial is damn sexy.

sensui likes this.
  19. blokk Apr 16, 2017

Anyone have the black black?

20. drhex Apr 16, 2017

The GSotM is just fantastic in strong sunlight, makes dial & lume pop. Bought mine in LV and had to stare at it all the time when outside (it does happen)...