Forums Latest Members

Daniel Craig's Bond Stunt Seamaster

1. samspeedmaster Aug 13, 2020

I thought this may be of interest to some. Not really a Seamaster, or even a watch, I suppose. Since it's made of rubber. But pretty cool all the same.

I saw it in an auction catalogue of movie memorabilia and props going to auction soon in LA. (All 250 pages of things you didn't know you needed here)

I'm not associated with the sale or the auction in any way - just spending too much time on the internet.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.27.57 am.png
    Wivac, flw, M'Bob and 9 others like this.
  2. Dedalus05 Aug 13, 2020

Amazing stuff in there. The Nostromo for 300-500k. A bargain!

Professor and OmegaP99 like this.
  3. Professor Aug 13, 2020

Very nice find. I used to visit motion picture prop forums , and constructed a few props for friend's Indy films.
    For some reason this reminded me of an incident I read of where a Officer on a submarine got his wedding ring and finger caught on a hatch cover during a crash dive. Several crewmen grabbed him and pulled him down as water was rushing in through the partly open hatch.
    His crushed wedding ring caused his entire ring finger to be yanked right out of his hand including the bone going back to his wrist. After it healed it looked like he had always had only four digits like a cartoon character.
    I had sort of doubted that but many years later I ran across a co-worker who had suffered a similar loss of his little finger including the bone of the hand. It also looked natural, as if he had always had only three fingers and a thumb.

OmegaP99 and DaveK like this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 13, 2020

When I was working in a clerical role, someone came down to the mailroom looking for a pencil sharpener. We had just gotten a portable battery powered one, so I handed it to him and said “just be careful of your fingers”. He laughed way more than I thought the joke was worth. But when he reached out to receive the sharpener from me, yep, just three fingers. ::facepalm1::

watch3s, Lurk41, Professor and 3 others like this.
  5. OmegaP99 Aug 13, 2020

I saw this too, the whole catalog is incredible! I've purchased some props from the PropStore and they always have great stuff. Funny that I'm seeing this right after commenting on watches as movie props in another thread. On the watch pictured here, I believe only the head is rubber on a genuine Omega metal bracelet.

@Professor That's pretty cool! I love all things Indiana Jones! A highlight of my fandom was going to visit Drew Struzan at his Pasadena studio to buy an artist's proof of one of his Indiana Jones posters.

Professor likes this.
  6. GuiltunderGlass Aug 14, 2020

Some amazing stuff, from some absolutely iconic movies! Thank you for sharing! @samspeedmaster

7. ConElPueblo Aug 14, 2020

I am guessing that in this case, Indy = Independent :)

OmegaP99 and Professor like this.
  8. steelfish Aug 14, 2020

Laughing at the ‘minor discolouration’ in the description - just like an eBay description <-> reality distortion listing

Professor likes this.
  9. jcon1913 Aug 14, 2020

Wow - I didn't know props were so profitable. Something that appears on Daniel Craig's wrist for a few minutes / seconds and becomes worth up to €5,000.

Lots of other stuff in there that would be interesting to own - especially the drawings if you were a fan of a particular film, nice to frame and hang on the wall.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2020

Lots of cool stuff in that catalogue!

Dsloan and dan7800 like this.
  11. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 14, 2020

Very cool! I always thought Bond wore the Planet Ocean up until he travels to Montenegro, whereupon he upgrades to the dressier model. Guess it was in his locker the whole time on the trips to Madagascar and the Bahamas!

12. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

Oh man! Hahahaha! You're probably right, that should be "Indie" to avoid getting my knickers damp in the future. lol

It varies wildly. If it's a "hero prop" that means it was featured, and usually has close ups on screen. This would be something like the Cricket gun from MIB. Those bring the big money especially if you can match up flaws or damage or any unique thing that proves it's the one used on screen as often there are multiples made but only one makes the final cut.
    Background props can be anything and hold far less value, like a coffee mug on a counter in the background.
    Also the popularity of the production matters a great deal, props from a blockbuster like Star Wars would bring way more money than something similar from Krull as an example.
    Then there's pieces made for rehearsals or stand ins, never seen on film but part of the production. Worth less than screen used by far.
    There's also preproduction items like the drawings you mention, storyboards, concept art, etc.
    You also have crew items like jackets worn on set or gifts handed out on wrap day, scripts, call sheets, etc. I especially like call sheets because you can see how the movie shooting went, it lists the names of actors and crew and where they will meet and at what times.

13. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 14, 2020

I wonder how much the famous Game of Thrones Starbucks cup would go for...

OmegaP99 likes this.
  14. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

I'm not kidding when I say there would be a market for that. Hundreds easily if not more.
    One of the coolest props I've ever seen up close and in a private collection was in the home of the Producer of Lord of the Rings up in the Hollywood Hills. He let Peter Jackson sleep on his couch when he came to LA to try and get his movie sold, and that was the gift he received as a thank you, the original hero Ring from the first film. Just hanging on the wall in a small shadow box on your way to the bathroom.

madjestikmoose and Dsloan like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2020

There are a bunch of things there I'd like to own...few off the top of my head...

The ball from Rollerball - sign me up and call me Jonathan!

Pretty much anything from The Fifth Element - one of my wife's favourite movies, so would get something for her.

Alien is one my all time faves as well, plus something from Starship Troopers just for fun.

Is that what "screen-matched" in the descriptions mean, that someone has identified that for sure it was used on screen?

bazamu likes this.
  16. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

Yes, exactly. Makes for a significant value difference if you can prove you've got "the one."

This catalog hurts. I missed out on that 2001: A Space Odyssey mask a few years back at $1,500 (tho it's listed incorrectly in the catalog, or at least not fully described, it's not screen used and was one cast up in case they needed to paint it for use on set but was never needed so never finished). They don't say screen used but seem to imply it.
    The Starship Troopers stuff was all over LA for years after the movie, was very cheap, costumes and rifle kits were abundant and even the smaller prop ships weren't more than a few hundred bucks. Props are cheapest right after the production ends so if there's a movie you especially like and want to own something from, look on ebay and the prop seller sites to get in early. Once a film has some cult status the values go up.

If you guys have ever heard of Forrest Ackerman, he had one of the best sci-fi collections in history in his "Ackermansion" which anyone could visit. I got to meet him and stop by while he was still living, but in his declining years. One day he decided he needed to sell most of his collection to pay medical bills, reached out to folks like Spielberg in the hopes they would buy it and save it (I've got some stories about THAT dude), but in the end much of it disappeared after he placed a small text ad in the local newspaper advertising his yard sale. Yup, original Ray Harryhausen armatures, film props from some of the most iconic 50's sci-fi films, Universal Monsters originals, and on and on went for a few bucks each like it was a common swap meet. He did keep some of his favorites pieces and I'm not sure what became of those after his death.

cristos71, Dsloan, Dedalus05 and 2 others like this.
  17. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 14, 2020

That’s so cool... I doubt I’ll ever top that, although Gandalf did sign this for me, many moons ago...

FA7A14C1-D16E-4418-A0AA-DAA326DBC20F.jpeg
    Dedalus05 and OmegaP99 like this.
  18. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

I'll tell Ian you said hi. lol
    I'm joking a bit, I only see him randomly as we have a dear mutual friend and the whole cast is still very friendly and social together. We all ended up back at the producer's house was after going to see Elijah DJ at a local bar in fact. I know Ian owns a pub in London and claims to spend a lot of time there, so drop in and throw some darts with him!

madjestikmoose likes this.
  19. Philou Aug 14, 2020

Thanks for the link @samspeedmaster , lots of great stuff ! :thumbsup:
    Every time the propstore is organising an auction, it's a feast for the eyes, and with the Phil Tippet collection on sale, it's even better !
    I remember the videos when the guys started the Nostromo restoration more than 10 years ago, It's cool to see the model back to his former glory.
    Here's the link to the video :

Edited Aug 15, 2020
    Dsloan and OmegaP99 like this.
  20. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 15, 2020

Ha ha!! That’s awesome... tell Elijah I loved him in Back to the Future II!

OmegaP99 likes this.