Forums Latest Members
  1. RealityComp Sep 9, 2016

Recently purchased this Seamaster from eBay for daily use. I bought it before finding this forum and used the eBay online guides and Omega vintage as references. It is keeping good time right now. Defiantly has been polished, generic crystal, and the dial has probably been resurfaced. Seller claimed to his knowledge it was not, so I read that as it had been done. Not sure if the "Factory replacement" strap is legit. Took it to the local jeweler to see inside. Movement is clean and no signs of rubbing, didn't have my camera with me at the time. Caseback was scratched when they reinstalled it using some automatic looking jig. Not going back there, or to a jeweler in general agian. Otherwise I think I did ok for a 1st time. Frakenwatch I'm ok with, just not a fake. I'm certain I will get an education shortly on this watch.

Calibre 552
    23 XXX XXX serial
    14700 1 sc caseback number
    -movement number seems too new for caseback ref.
    -lume acts like old lume should on dail, hands glow and look brand new
    -dent in bezel at 9 o'clock went back to the listing and you could barely see it because of the shine
    -curved s instead of coat hanger not sure why, redial?
    DSCF1220.JPG DSCF1218.JPG DSCF1219.JPG

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 9, 2016

Well the hands are replacement and the lume has been added later at some point.

Nice looking watch for daily wear. I can't comment on a full redial though.

3. François Pépin Sep 9, 2016

Redial to me. But if it is working great and was not expansive, could be a good first vintage to wear everyday.

Jacquot likes this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 9, 2016

Def. Redial ... but you could have done worse for your 1St watch ...:thumbsup:

5. RealityComp Sep 9, 2016

Thank you. This confirms what I thought of the watch so far. Seller had an interesting sales pitch on the listing but it seems a little homework and gambling paid off. That scratch on the case back is still getting to me. Like marking up a new car. Oh well I guess it comes with the learning curve. Don't take a watch to a jeweler that also "services" watches.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 9, 2016

That redial could be a lot worse. The 14700-series were quite nice with a good variety of dials. I had one in black dial I had sold and never got paid the rest of the low price I sold it for. Ah well, live and learn.

A Seamaster 300 is a good replacement. :)

Tom

7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 9, 2016

I like this particular model of SM ... I tend to think of this case-shape as Omega's "Oyster" case