Forums Latest Members
  1. Violawit Apr 23, 2019

Hi Guys,
    I have been wearing my 565 caliber Seamaster f every day for the past week. I'm currently on vacation, but as an orchestral musician playing viola, I was wondering if the constant movement might cause extra wear on my watch, particularly when the bow jumps around and violently attacks the strings. I know my watch has an incabloc shock system, but should I take it off every time I play?
    I am in a large Opera orchestra, so when we play the ring cycle, or other large works, they often have sections which can get quite aggressive.
    I usually take a watch off to play anyway, as the extra weight on my wrist can be bothersome, but if our music stands are missing a small tray to hold personal effects, I don't want to just lay it on the floor either.
    Thanks!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2019

Unless you use a jackhammer as a bow you should be alright ;)

Tony C., Wivac, George.A and 7 others like this.
  3. sdre Apr 23, 2019

We love pictures here at OF. It will be cool to get a wrist shot of you at work!

George.A, Pun, Caliber561 and 4 others like this.
  4. Violawit Apr 23, 2019

Will do as soon as I get back (am on vacation at the moment!)

sdre likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 23, 2019

Don't worry, vibrato, staccato or spiccato won't do any harm to your 565.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2019

I googled it, its a slightly bigger violin, it'll live

7. Canuck Apr 23, 2019

I play a violin. (Fiddler, not violinist). Watches will usually let you know when you are wearing them beyond what might be considered reasonable limits. You say you take the watch off when you practice, but wear it when performing. I don’t have a watch that I wouldn’t wear on my bowing arm (right arm), either performing, or practicing. I don’t play Wagner, but fiddle music can involve plenty of vigorous bow movement. The watch will tell you when there is a problem in how you are wearing it.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. Franco Apr 23, 2019

My best mate is a professional clarinet player, and always wears an Omega Seamaster 300. The first violin wears a JLC reverso all the time. Both on the left arm, and have not heard any complains by either of them in the last 5 years.

felsby and Waltesefalcon like this.
  9. Violawit Apr 23, 2019

Thanks for all of your opinions! I will go ahead and play however is most comfortable, thanks!

10. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 27, 2019

Good idea. Leaving your watch on the stage floor sounds like a spectacularly bad idea, and leaving it backstage, unless you have a locker that locks, and maybe even then, is also a bad idea.

11. 77deluxe Apr 27, 2019

You’ll be fine. Just dont start drumming in a punk band.

davten and mydeafcat like this.
  12. arturo7 Apr 27, 2019

There was a time when I'd wear a watch while playing. But the bands kept getting gunked up with dried sweat.

These days I take it off before the set and put it back on when everything is packed away.

13. Dan S Apr 27, 2019

For a question like this, we must ask WWJD, and by that I mean, of course, "what would John-Mayer do"?

[​IMG]

felsby, Vitezi, George.A and 3 others like this.
  14. CdnWatchDoc Apr 27, 2019

merchandiser and Dan S like this.
  15. Canuck Apr 27, 2019

I once sold a Cartier automatic in a steel case to a member of a touring rock band. Here today, gone tomorrow. I have often wondered how it stood up for him. It is usually the “roadies” that do the scut work for groups like this, so maybe he did okay with it.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2019

mozartman likes this.
  17. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 27, 2019

For some of the funniest, meanest, and certainly the most, viola jokes you are likely to find anywhere, check out TwoSetViolin's youtube channel, hosted by two Australian violinists (not surprisingly). But I doubt either of them have such a nice vintage Seamaster. So there.

18. Canuck Apr 27, 2019

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 28, 2019

Just know over the years there has been Viola v Violin banter. Bring up fiddle and that’s even more fun.....

mozartman likes this.
  20. time flies Apr 28, 2019

Where's the best place to store your watches to keep them from being stolen?
    In a violin case.

you asked. have fun
    kfw

felsby and Violawit like this.