Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Jul 3, 2016

Hello Omegoids!
    The prognosis from my watchmaker was fatal. Wholesale flooding in the mid 60's Seamster cosmic 166022 I bought on eBay (which required tool 105 to open so I bought movement unseen for a very low price) means that it's way too expensive to clean, repair, and replace everything piece by piece. (600 euros and up he tells me..wow!)
    So I've bought a cal 565 from a watchmaker in Belgium who assures me its in very good working nick. ..(another risk I know but I'm still under budget..just)
    Am I now officially creating a Frankenwatch? I have every intention of retaining it ,wearing it , and enjoying it. How much will the value of the watch drop if I should sell it on with this new movement installed. Case , dial, (crosshairs) and band are all still original and charmingly untouched and unpolished.
    Naturally I'd like to keep the watch in its 60's condition as original as possible. I don't even know when cal 565's started and finished. I'd like to think it was still a piece of its era...Am I adding to a Frankenwatch plague or doing good bringing a dead watch back to life?

littlesheep81 likes this.
  2. cimo Jul 3, 2016

In what may be a controversial opinion, I think the only harm done by a franken watch is if the owner attempts to perpetrate the sale of an "all original" watch to an unsuspecting buyer.

Also, frankenwatches can be the result of other watches which have fallen victim to overly restorative services, or (heaven forbid) the gold smelter.

If you are joining two watches together to create a running piece that you will enjoy, and which amount to nothing more than a jumble of parts when apart, then more power to you.

Its resale value will be less than an original piece, but more than a "junk" watch with a water damaged movement. As long as you disclose its history if you ever sell it, no harm done.

Is this process worth the money? Hard to say. But it sounds like you already own the watch and the extra movement so why not go for it.

Just my two cents.

3. cristos71 Jul 3, 2016

Swap the bridge with the serial number from the original 565 with the bridge of the new 565 movement and voilà, it is not a franken anymore, but has been restored ;)

Foo2rama, OMGRLX and cicindela like this.
  4. the future Jul 3, 2016

You're rescuing a watch that would otherwise be spare parts or scrap. I say go for it and enjoy the watch.

cimo likes this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 4, 2016

I see no harm in a franken watch This one a Seiko 6309 diver the original dial was nice but black , I had a spare nos dial, 6105 sweep hand and some hands from another watch and made this one I enjoy fooling around with this stuff I can always put the original dial and hands back on the watch

afw.jpg
  6. littlesheep81 Jul 4, 2016

I had the same thought this morning when faced with a sadly incomplete Grail watch (Wittnauer 242T). My principle is always to be upfront when selling and would never pass off a restored / combined watch as "original". I'm sure there are pieces in my collection which have benefitted from retrofitted but period correct parts. I'm happier with them in my collection than as watch corpses not being enjoyed by anyone!

7. Nactex Jul 4, 2016