Forums Latest Members
  1. MJai Jul 10, 2019

Hi guys, I inherited this watch from my late mother, I would love to know more about it. I only know that she payed back then around 10K euros for it (not counting with inflation), that it has a gold (starting with 9) and make mark and that it is hand-winding. Any one else can tell me something about it? Model? Approximate year (i think sometime in the 60's)? I have looked up online but so far I haven't been able to find anything about it, not even a similar watch.

Many thanks in advance.

20190709_202607.jpg
  2. michael22 Jul 10, 2019

Are there hallmarks on the bracelet? To be worth that much, the bracelet must be solid gold too.

3. omegastar Jul 10, 2019

I have a 1980 Rolex Datejust that still holds its price tag. It costed 27.500 Belgian Francs as the Euro only appeared later. In euro it’s 671.71€.
    So I, IMHO, doubt this watch cost 10k €. It probably dates back to the forties.

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

Did your mother buy the Cyma in England? You are telling us the watch is 9 karat gold, and that usually means it was of English origins. If it is English, then there will likely be the mark of an English assay hall (Leopard for London, anchor for Birmingham, etc), and an upper or lower case letter inside a frame. In addition, there should be a manufacturer’s trade mark. Usually two or three letters, sometimes incuse, and sometimes in cameo. If this information is there, it will tell a lot about the watch. It will not, however, give any information about value, then or now. But today, ladie’s karat gold watches quite often only bring the scrap value of the watch.

5. MJai Jul 10, 2019

Not 9carats, we think we see the number 9 but we arent sure. Will get the carats later today and post it here. It was bought in Portugal.

6. MJai Jul 10, 2019

It was bought in Portugal when she was single so before the 70s. It costed back then 2000 contos that according to this forum is 10k € https://forum.motorguia.net/off-topic/91553-quanto-valera-hoje-2000-contos-de-ha-20-anos.html

7. MJai Jul 10, 2019

There are marks everywhere, watch, bracelet and the closures.

8. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

If you can post good, clear, we’ll lit, images of the marks that show on the case and the bracelet clasp (usually), it would be helpful. Putting a value on it when new, or now, will be a matter of opinion.

DaveK likes this.
  9. MJai Jul 10, 2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

No pictures yet. Pictures should be in the photo files on your computer. Open your reply to your original post and look for the “ADD PHOTOS” button beneath the text screen, and click on it. Then locate the photos you wish to post in your photo files. Select the ones you wish to use, then look for the ADD button at the top of your photos. Then look for INSERT PHOTOS beneath the text screen, and click on it. Then press REPLY.

DaveK likes this.
  11. MJai Jul 10, 2019

12. MJai Jul 10, 2019

I'm on holidays, only have my phone. It's hard using it here tbh.

13. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

Can’t read the stamps. Too small.

14. MJai Jul 10, 2019

We can't either and my husband is a goldsmith. He thinks definitely not plated and for sure a high carat, probably 18 but we won't be sure until either we get home and he can use his magnifying glass or by going to a jewellery shop here now.

15. MJai Jul 10, 2019

I would like to add that the sentimental value is bigger that whatever this watch may be worth. Our intention is just to know the model and a bit more about the watch itself, I would like to know the value only for security purposes like for example do I need to insure it? Should i keep it in a safe or can I wear it daily?

16. Canuck Jul 10, 2019

Decide what risks you want to have covered by insurance, and ask your insurance agent whether you need to take out a rider to cover the watch. Most insurance policies have a personal property floater, or a rider for unspecified risk. Chances are you will find you have sufficient coverage without having to take out an expensive rider. If you take out a rider on the watch, you’ll need a formal appraisal. You don’t want to be paying a huge premium to cover a watch that is appraised at current NEW estimated replacement value.

Edited Jul 10, 2019
  17. MJai Jul 10, 2019

Thanks, I'll guess I'll have to get it evaluated somehow in order to know what is the best course of action.

18. MJai Jul 10, 2019

19. omegastar Jul 10, 2019

Yes, ok I see your point here. But you said « 10K euros for it (not counting with inflation) ». And I think you are counting inflation.
    I think your watch is 18k gold, so it is worth 29€ per gram. Probably around 500€ or 600€ counting inflation.

20. MJai Jul 10, 2019

It was 16k with inflation more or less. But yeah good to know i can wear it daily then. Thanks