Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Mar 29, 2020

Sorry if this question is trivial in light of real world concerns, but how long would the CV 19 spores likely stay on a watch touched by a potentially infected person (who shows no signs of being sick), and would it make sense to just let the watch sit in a bag for the applicable period, or try to clean the watch and bracelet with Clorox wipes? Might the wipes adversely impact the movement? I think the watch has a screw down crown.

If it matters, the watch and bracelet are 18k gold. And I assume the guidance would apply as well to a gold wedding band?

Thanks all. Just trying to stay safe and sane.

2. Dan S Mar 29, 2020

It seems to depend on the material, but the conventional wisdom seems to be that 72 hours is the longest it will remain viable on surfaces. So if you're not in any rush to wear it, just leave it for a few days.

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 29, 2020

Or put it in the sun. Apparently N95 masks can be sterilized with UV (someone please correct me if I am wrong)...

4. connieseamaster Mar 29, 2020

Latest study I read (not a health professional, just a reader) and God know the data changes daily, suggested that while UV exposure does sanitize the mask, it also degrades the filter medium. A better solution was 30 mins exposed to a dry 175degree F heat.

Me, I'd just leave it in a dry place for 3 days or wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol.

5. Dan S Mar 29, 2020

Sunlight can't hurt, but to be safe, I would want more intense short-wavelength UV than you get in direct sunlight.

6. calalum Mar 29, 2020

As mentioned, can use Clorox wipes. Might the wipes adversely impact the movement? I think the watch has a screw down crown. Thanks all.

7. Observer I know nothing! Mar 29, 2020

This may sound stupid, but how about heat? Is it possible to overheat the virus without harming the watch?

8. Dan S Mar 30, 2020

I think that there is a temperature range (e.g. 55C) that would be safe for most watches and would degrade coronavirus, especially if the watch was maintained at that temperature for several hours. Some experts have mentioned that the heat of a clothes dryer can be helpful in disinfecting fabrics.

9. abrod520 Mar 30, 2020

They don't say "sunlight is the best disinfectant" for nothing ;)

However - you'd need to leave the watch in direct sunlight for at least 30 minutes or so. Might not be that great an idea for a vintage watch. Alcohol I'm not sure about with gold or plexi either, but it's worth a shot.

Since it has a screw-down crown though, you could always drop it in a pot and boil it ;)

All jokes aside, what I would do is put it somewhere out in the open (not in a cool, dark place) and let it sit for a couple days.

10. Evitzee Mar 30, 2020

If I was concerned I would wipe down the watch with a alcohol dampened cloth, if you want to be really safe don't wear it for five days. Putting a watch in direct sunlight or in high heat environment would not be my choice.

1st speedy and DaveK like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 30, 2020

A good wipe down with a alcohol swab, like the ones they use before a needle.

Advice for cleaning safety glasses after dealing with a Covid 19 suspected person by the Australian department of health
    (Biosecurity Officer and do it often ;))

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 30, 2020

Sadly, this is very good advice for inactivating coronavirus particles (they are not spores by the way). I say sadly because I use these when changing my insulin pump infusion set and glucose sensors, and now they have been stripped completely from retail and online outlets and are near impossible to get. But I think I finally snagged some non-price gouged ones online today. I think...

13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 30, 2020

From the NIH

"The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

Cleaning and disinfection on CDC.

14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 30, 2020

I would wipe it with a Clorex wipe, and if you believe the previous person was sick let it sit for 3 days to be safe. But honestly any info on this forum is pure speculation...there is so much misinformation out there, it's best to ignore it all.

I have wiped my computer and watches many times and have seen no issues with either. Unless the wipe is dripping wet, I cant see how its possible to damage a watch.

15. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 30, 2020

It’s not speculation that an alcohol wipe inactivates this viral particle, it’s science. Like many other viruses, Coronaviruses are lipid membrane-enveloped viral particles...so alcohol, simple hand soap...anything that solubilizes lipids (i.e fats) will destroy the infectious particle.

abrod520, Archer, Deafboy and 2 others like this.