Forums Latest Members

Cut My Losses With The Dodgy Ebay Buy To Fix Up Grandad's Watch?

1. Holden Caulfield Mar 4, 2013

original condition.jpg I I have two non-working watches (only one of them pictured) ...what to do next?

A while back I acquired off of ebay (at what seemed like a good price) a Seasmaster Cosmic Ref 136022 Cal 613 with a black dial (no numbers, just sliver markers and crosshairs), a date feature at 3 o'clock, with an Omega buckle, and double signed by Turler. I've been casually interested in vintage watches for a few years but this was my first (and only) purchase. Clearly I hadn't done my homework as the seller swore it was in tip top working order (it didn't run much past the time when I made my paypal payment). However, I still think that the watch is pretty cool and have thought about getting it refurbished. A bit of research led me to a local expert but he suggested that the lack of a back and some internal water damage made it difficult for him to do serious work on it. I then sent it to Omega in New York and they have quoted me the following: $710 for a complete overhaul and $250 to have the face touched up for the minor water damage. Needless to say this is a few times what I paid for the watch.

My dilemna is this...I like the watch but the servicing is a good chunk of change and I don't want to sink good money after bad. Is it worth refurbishing and should I have them touch up the face (I have read from many of these threads that its a big negative for collectors)? I would include some pictures but alas its at Omega and the ebay pictures from when I bough it are no longer up. I'm okay with putting some money into it if down the road I'll be able to sell it and get atleast most of it back.

One other variable...when my Dad found out that I was into vintage watches...he told me that he had an old broken watch lying in his top dresser drawer. Turned out to be a Triple Date Moonphase which is missing the crown. The face looks to be in pretty great shape and I've attached a photo (don't laugh at the Twist o Flex band...apparently that's how my grandfather liked it). I have not opened up the back to look inside so I don't know what condition its in. My casual reserach suggests that this is a far more interesting watch...should I just cut my losses with the Seamaster and put my money towards fixing this one up? I'm guessing that the extra complications make it that much more expensive to service? Am I wrong? It's a very impressive timepiece...but I don't think i'd feel comfortable wearing it on a daily basis (as I would with the Seamaster). I bought the Seamaster becasue I need a watch to wear...and it seemed like something that would be good for everyday (assuming I can get it to run).

Thanks for the advice (and reading my saga)...by the way, I've really enjoyed reading through these threads. They've been very helpful.

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 5, 2013

first of all: where are you ? any advice depends where you are. if in australia, i have the right watchmaker for you. if not, others will chime in. second: need pictures from the seamaster. even without seeing it: do not sink money in that one. third: fix the moonphase and enjoy it as a heirloom. when serviced properly, they are everyday watches. kind regards. achim

3. Wheels Mar 5, 2013

Sell the Seamaster for parts. Be upfront about its issues. Use the funds from the sale to get the Moonphase up and going again. Wear that!

MKelley likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

The moonphase is awesome, its worth paying to get fixed, just don't ever get it wet, or even moist, or sweat while wearing it. Hell if its humid, keep in near silica gel.

5. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2013

Screw the Seamaster! Fix that TDMP but don't change the cosmetic condition - no polishing or refinishing of the dial. It's a killer watch AND an heirloom. Just don't send it to Omega.

Question: what is caulfield and why are you holding it? :p

MKelley likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

He's not holding it , he's catching it :D

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 5, 2013

There are watches that represent the pinnacle of craftsmanship and there are watches that celebrate the lives and achievements of special people.
    I feel you are considering a watch that has neither against a watch that gloriously does both!
    Please heed the advice here because you can always replace the Seamaster and will never replace the Family TDMP.

If you decide to sell the TDMP, list it here and watch as the line forms.
    Indeed, I may try to be the first one in line!

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

That moonphase dial is really clean. Far more than most I've seen. It's no contest - get it working again & forget about putting money into the Seamaster.

9. Holden Caulfield Mar 5, 2013

Thanks for the great advice. I gave Omega a call and told them to cancel service on the Seamaster. I'll post some picts when it comes back and perhaps you'll have some thoughts on what to do there. They said that it's worn and has some internal water damage (including part of the dial). The case has been polished a fair amount as well. But...the good news is that it didn't say "Made in China" on anything as they claimed that they would not have given a repair estimate in that case :thumbsup:

Now...for the TDMP which I have always intended to hang onto. Any advice on how to proceed other than not changing the cosmetics? I saw one suggestion to not go back to Omega....is that due to cost or because there are better places? I'm in the US on the West Coast. Any recommendations and what is an appropriate range to expect for a complete overhaul?

Thanks

10. ulackfocus Mar 6, 2013

Contact Dalton Toledo / ABC Watchworks in Los Angeles. I've seen his work and it's very good.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Don't know them but restoration has to be sympathetic - in my case do not touch dial, do not relume hands and do not polish case. Only movement service and replace parts with the closest to original as possible. TDMP regarding the movement is a special case since some specific movement parts are very hard to find and when found can cost $200 plus just for one part. If the watch doesn't need any of these rare parts then you're quite lucky and the service cost will be significantly lower.

12. Holden Caulfield Mar 29, 2013

Thanks again for the advice. I got the Seamaster back and here are some pictures. I've also posted it on the For Sale forum.

IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0108.jpg