Forums Latest Members

Customs on an item originally bought in Canada, brought into the US, then shipped back to Canada

1. bryanmanio Jan 30, 2017

I recently got a watch from a friend that was shipped as a gift from the US to me in Canada. He originally bought the watch in Canada, then ended up moving down to the states a year later before gifting it to me.

I was a bit surprised to have to pay a $200 customs fee today when it was delivered, does any one have any experience in this situation?

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 30, 2017

You just got screwed by Canada Customs, as a fellow Canadian I thought you'd be used to that by now.

Euxinus, b-16707, OMGRLX and 4 others like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 30, 2017

I would have thought as long as you had the original reciept then you have a case.
    As long as the item can be proved to have tax paid in Canada, then they wont collect it again.

Well, thats how UK used to work.

If you dont have papers, then, they dont believe you.

4. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 30, 2017

I used to work in an industry where I had to ship product into Canada. It was a nightmare. I'm not surprised.

5. bryanmanio Jan 30, 2017

I can get the original papers, I just want to make sure it would make a difference. I can't imagine talking to people at customs is a treat :(

6. Uniqez Jan 30, 2017

Well, I have shipped something work related to my Canadian coworker and item that cost $35, I ended up paying almost $40 custom fee on it.

7. Pvt-Public Jan 31, 2017

Sounds like the state of Virginia "Personal Property Tax". You buy a car, motorcycle, boat, anything thing of value, you pay sales tax at purchase. And then the personal property tax every year you own it there after. This doesn't apply to houses or land, that is covered by sales tax at purchase and real estate tax every year there after. So no matter you're screwed yearly.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 31, 2017

Most don't bother and leave it.
    You would be surprised how easy and informative most Customs agencies around the world are. Work in a similar border clearance job in Australia and If someone who had the paperwork made a attempt to lodge the form needed (even if the wrong form ) and receipts I would only be too happy to help them.
    Call them and have a chat let them know what the issue is and ask what you have to do. Most have a 30 day

I myself have the $50 rule - if it's under that I don't bother, anything over I would definitely take the time to go to a office or send paperwork in.

9. Faz Jan 31, 2017

You can claim the money back once you get the original receipt. Not that complicated but could take a few weeks. Your friend should have shipped the receipt with the watch...You would have avoided the whole bureaucratic nightmare.

10. Allen Dreadmon Jan 31, 2017

I had to pay duties on a pair of US made shoes that were shipped from Europe. I filled out a CBSA form and a few months later got a cheque in the mail. Call them and ask which particular form to fill out. They are very helpful on the phone.

STANDY likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2017

Not really - it's up to the importer to prove/notify CBSA that the item was originally purchased in Canada - if you don't tell them that, they will rightly assume it's not, and charge you. As noted there is a procedure to claim the money back if you have the appropriate proof. It takes time, but trust me it can be done, as I've done so many times.

Fritz and Faz like this.
  12. bryanmanio Jan 31, 2017

Cool thanks guys, I'll start the process and update this later on.

13. six-barrel Jan 31, 2017

So what did the $200 cover, PST/GST? There should be a code on the document that explains the charge. Also who delivered it UPS?

14. bryanmanio Jan 31, 2017

Correct, USPS and the charge was filed under GST.