Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Apr 24, 2015

Bought a watch from a seller in Europe. Watch is being delivered DHL. It is now apparently at the DHL hub in the US. DHL called me this morning (and they have now emailed me as well) and said that they need info from me, including my SSN. Is that typical? Not sure why they would want or need that. Thanks all.

2. jimmyjay Apr 24, 2015

I have no experience with DHL customs but I would be very hesitant to give anyone my SSN over the phone.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 24, 2015

I had the same thing from FedEx... if the watch costs more than $2500, they have to fill out extra paperwork because that's the threshold for being an "importer".

It's ok to do it.

Tom

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 24, 2015

As for the SSN, unless you have a business with a Federal tax ID, that's what you'll have to use, because it is officially your "taxpayer ID number".

Tom

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 24, 2015

T

In my experience, the seller is the one who has to deal with documentation for the export to the US. I have bought numerous watches overseas, declared by the seller at full value, and have never had to provide my SS# (or been asked to pay import duties:) BTW).

A phone call to them should help clear up their reason for the request.

6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 24, 2015

NEVER over the phone!

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 24, 2015

Of course not, it goes on the form that you email them back.

Tom

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2015

This is not unusual - it's not any kind of scam. Just fill out the form and send it back.

Cheers, Al