Forums Latest Members
  1. Observer I know nothing! Jul 28, 2019

I bought a watch from a member in the EU, and eagerly watched the tracking information as it made it's way to the West Coast of the US. I saw it cross the ocean and be scanned into "ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)". ...and then it stopped. For nine days. I said to myself: "Self, what the hell are they doing over there?" Finally, last night they were done pawing at my beautiful new (to me) timepiece and let it continue its journey home.

Now that it's been released and should be here in a couple days, my outlook has improved greatly, and I figure that I probably got off easy and that veteran collectors have fared far worse. I wonder if anyone can share true customs horror stories to put my experience in perspective. What are realistic expectations?

2. Fatcat Jul 28, 2019

Dépends in the US you are lucky , shipped a ST68 of 8500US$ and custom taxes 79$ because US customs take this as mounted movement , in Germany they like to destruct vintage watches and parts even they are genuine and after they said Omega says fake destruction, in Switzerland they care only about money and some customs agents specially in Zurich are pretty good to know the values .

No horrors bu every country as is flaws and methods ,but I think is shure you are always the losers against the customs.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 28, 2019

Why would anyone want horror stories? I would want to be reassured that the majority of stories end well. And that’s my understanding.

Onion0909, Alpha, Wetworks and 2 others like this.
  4. Observer I know nothing! Jul 28, 2019

You should start a thread to talk about that. A realistic picture includes both ends of the spectrum, and I'd rather prepare for the worst than expect the best.

Thanks for your contribution.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 28, 2019

If you want a realistic picture with both ends of the spectrum, then perhaps you’d want to save time and consolidate all answers in the same thread? ;)
    PS but I can understand wanting to prepare for the worst.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. bloomy Jul 28, 2019

It depends where they come into the US. NY is terrible and takes forever but will come eventually. Chicago usually has my items through in less than 24 hours and is incredibly fast.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2019

I can tell a lot about people lying on import documents to evade customs duties.
    Not putting any documents in the parcel for said customs officer to be able to work out what they have in front of them and how much it cost, who owned it before.....

Customs do a job that they are legislated to do. Make it easy for them and factor in the price of buying and selling internationally

A lot might not like getting hit with customs duties or fees but it’s a part of doing business.

Yes it is hit and miss because there is never enough customs people to do the job so 100% gets treated equally.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 28, 2019

M'Bob, shishy and Syrte like this.
  9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 28, 2019

My watches get held up at that customs’ office for many days, if not a few weeks. It eventually gets out though. Never had to pay a fee or tax.

10. Walrus Jul 28, 2019

I don’t know, east coast customs I’ve never had an issue. Package not even opened. Watches that is. Whenever I order cigars they get held up but the bands are removed and sent separately

11. jhross98 Jul 28, 2019

different type of customs "horror story". . everyone should be aware that state tax authorities in many states DO link up customs invoices to USE tax. . if you import a watch you still owe use tax in place of sales tax in your home state. the penalties and interest can add up to big bucks years later. i had always thought the duty you paid was in place of sales/use tax but this is not the case. . .

gatorcpa likes this.
  12. Rochete Jul 28, 2019

I've sent four watches so far to the US (Texas, Washington State, N.Carolina, Florida) from UE. No problems so far, they went through swiftly. Not expensive though, less than €500 declared value.