Forums Latest Members
  1. Raven Dec 6, 2015

Hello People,

I need advice on a family relic my mother found. But first, a little bit of background information. I was recently admitted into one of the best schools in the country with a full scholarship, so now I'm scrounging around for cash to move across the US . My Mom, trying to help out, told me about a watch she has that belonged to my father as a teenager. It was given to him by my grandfather. The best date estimate she has on it is 50's or 60's. We don't have a box or papers for it. The odd thing about it is that it has the face of the first king of Saudi Arabia printed on the top have of it (my dad was from there). I don't know if this is something they did to target a certain market or if it was customized by my grandfather. I also don't think it's a fake since my grandfather was a man of fortune and could afford an original.

Now my question is, as the pictures show, the watch isn't in great shape and it has that 'face' feature. In order for me to sell it, my mom would have to FedEx it to me from halfway across the world. Is it worth it to try? Or could it only be worth the sentimental value?

Thank you for any advice or opinions you might have.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg
  2. Davidt Dec 6, 2015

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 6, 2015

Hi Raven
    You have a gold cap Constellation ie not solid gold
    The bracelet is likely to be a gold plated version too ( you would need to check for hallmarks)
    This type of watch was generally produced for a specific market
    Yours is in a bit of a 'tired' condition
    Not worth too much money I'm afraid
    I think probably best kept as a family heirloom
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Best of luck with your studies!

Tritium likes this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 6, 2015

Oops double thread

5. Tritium Dec 6, 2015

+1 keep it as heirloom and why not, try to investigate why your dad had this watch. This is part of your family history:thumbsup:

Peemacgee likes this.
  6. the future Dec 6, 2015

Keep it. In 20 years you'll be happy you have it instead of some money you spent.

Neat watch

7. Raven Dec 6, 2015

This is funny. I did a lot of searching on Omega and Constellation watches trying to find that particular one. I don't know why coupling that search with 'saudi arabia' didn't occur to me. That's rather embarrassing.
    Thanks for the info and pointing me in the right direction. I now know the history of these watches and I think I understand why my grandfather had one.
    As for the 'some money' I want to spend, my future is riding on this money I want to spend. But I get what you're saying. As it is it will remain a family heirloom. Maybe someday I'll be able to restore it.

Thank you all again for the help!

Tritium likes this.
  8. ricardorio Dec 6, 2015

Raven friend, I send a photo from the OmegaMania auction in 2007 where they offered a watch like yours. I hope it helps your search.

In the front page my 105012-66 with Nasa velcro strap. Best,

20151206_201218.jpg 20151206_201240.jpg 20151206_201317.jpg